Close to buying a 45 for carry, would like input

This is a discussion on Close to buying a 45 for carry, would like input within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking at buying an ATI FX45 Titan. This is an all steel gun with a 3.18 in barrel and 7 round mags. I ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Close to buying a 45 for carry, would like input

I am looking at buying an ATI FX45 Titan. This is an all steel gun with a 3.18 in barrel and 7 round mags. I have had different opinions regarding the recoil of short barrels on 45 autos. I know that recoil does not matter in a situation where the weapon is needed, but do these short barrels punish you at the range.

CWO

sgb
    I have no experience with ATI, however I've got plenty of experience with 1911's and the shorter they are the more problematic and maintenance sensitive they become. Shortest 1911 I still have is a 4 1/4" commander.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

smith and wesson pro series
    C hawk Glock likes this.

I think there are better options out there like the Glock 30/36, H&K USP Compact or a 3erd Gen S&W mid size 45.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I am heading for a 45 also, am thinking Kimber Ultra. Any input good or bad will be appreciated.

The .45 ACP legendary stopping power is just that a "legend". In my work I have interviewed 4 people so far shot point blank in the forehead with a .45 acp out of a 1911 with no real ill effecets. It did not stop their attacks either. I know people willl not belive this but that does not change the facts.

I have my old 1911 and I sure would not feel 'underarmed' with it either, further in all 4 cases were because the FMJ bullet spun around the skull and did not enetr the brain case (here is one of the video interviews vimeo.com/31172405) watch it its cop telling what he saw after then .45 acp hit the guy between the eyes.

But any handgun is bit lite to stop an animal as big as a man. But my point is a 9 mm in a JHP will work as well and is lot smaller and more controalble than these .45ACP pocket guns. That said you would not be underarmed with a .45acp either. But its no better than 9mm in most cases.

My research also discovered the other end of the spectrum too, that is a single .25 auto shot dropping a guy dead instantly.So the big gun, hard to hide and uncomfortbale to carry may not be the best choice. Nobody is going argue against the axiom: 'its the gun you have with you and in your ahnd when you need it that counts". But if the short bbl .45 is something that feels good for your body type etc, then OK, Perosnal feel and conmfort count for lot as to what oyu will carry, and if you do not carrry it then it can't help.
    MikeVirginia and WhatGun like this.

I have a .45 with a 3 1/4 its not bad, after a few mags your wrist lets you know that you are holding on to something. It was the first gun my gf shot and she fired 20rnds before her wrist started to hurt

Peyton, I sure would like a little bit of whatever it is your drinking.

OP, it's all in practice and tolerance level. Personally, I have found no difference worth mentioning, but then again, I see no major difference in the carriability in the commander vs the Goverment model size.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by TWO GUNS View Post
    I think there are better options out there like the Glock 30/36, H&K USP Compact or a 3erd Gen S&W mid size 45.
    I was thinking this as well - you get A LOT of firepower in a small package with the Glock 30... Ridiculously accurate as well and very very reliable.

I would suggest trying one out before going the 1911 route...

I seriously doubt they were shot "right" between the eyes.

More likely some angle where the bullet hit the curvature of the skull, above the ocular cavity.

The soft tissue and cartilage in the cranial ocular cavity wouldn't deflect a bb. I know this because that's what everyone told Ralphy would happen.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by Peyton View Post
    The .45 ACP legendary stopping power is just that a "legend". In my work I have interviewed 4 people so far shot point blank in the forehead with a .45 acp out of a 1911 with no real ill effecets. It did not stop their attacks either. I know people willl not belive this but that does not change the facts.

I have my old 1911 and I sure would not feel 'underarmed' with it either, further in all 4 cases were because the FMJ bullet spun around the skull and did not enetr the brain case (here is one of the video interviews vimeo.com/31172405) watch it its cop telling what he saw after then .45 acp hit the guy between the eyes.

But any handgun is bit lite to stop an animal as big as a man. But my point is a 9 mm in a JHP will work as well and is lot smaller and more controalble than these .45ACP pocket guns. That said you would not be underarmed with a .45acp either. But its no better than 9mm in most cases.

My research also discovered the other end of the spectrum too, that is a single .25 auto shot dropping a guy dead instantly.So the big gun, hard to hide and uncomfortbale to carry may not be the best choice. Nobody is going argue against the axiom: 'its the gun you have with you and in your ahnd when you need it that counts". But if the short bbl .45 is something that feels good for your body type etc, then OK, Perosnal feel and conmfort count for lot as to what oyu will carry, and if you do not carrry it then it can't help.
    I sure would like to hear more about this. I wonder what kind of 45 ammo was fired from those 1911's.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Peyton: Person shot with a 45 cal. & hit in the head with no real effect, must have been a real hard case.
    " The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson

Comparison with Colt Defender - 3 inch, 25 ounce gun.

I looked up the ATI Titan you mentioned and it is a steel 1911 with short barrel (3.18 inches, you said). You asked about recoil in short barrel .45s. I have been shooting full size steel 1911 .45s for a long time, and also have a 3 inch Colt Defender and a 4 inch Sig P245. The Defender has an aluminum frame, and the recoil doesn't seem bad to me. It is definitely more than full size 1911s, but certainly controllable and comfortable enough when shooting 50 or 100 rounds at the range. If you hold on to the Defender firmly and have the right mental attitude, the recoil is quite acceptable.

claude clay likes this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I carry a Glock 36 in the rotation and still have a Glock 21 that I carry when the weather is cool enough for a sweater or jacket.

I shot a fellow forum members Glock 30 a couple months back and was impressed.

The Glocks fit my hand so no problem with the grip or grip angle but lately I have had a itch for a 1911 in the commander length.

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Peyton, I do not know what to say to you, except this..... WHAT EVER YOU ARE ON, CUT IT IN HALF!!!!!! As far as your research goes well, I hope you do not sign up to be the test dummy for the scenerio you described.

To the OP, I agree that you can find better choices in the .45 acp, although I am a huge fan of the 1911 platform. I do not like anything with less than a 4" barrel in 1911 .45 acp. Good Luck

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links