1911 Officers options question

This is a discussion on 1911 Officers options question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Gentlemen; I am planning to build an Officers model 1911 for my carry pistol. My intention is to use a stainless frame / 3 1/2" ...

Gentlemen;
    I am planning to build an Officers model 1911 for my carry pistol. My intention is to use a stainless frame / 3 1/2" slide from Caspian arms & a Bar-Sto or Wilson barrel. My question involves the options offered by Caspian arms. I have the choice of using a no bushing "bull" barrel or a standard 1911 style. I have the option of a fully ramped barrel or the standard 1911 design, likewise a standard slide release / safety spring housing or an integral one. Finally, I must choose whether to use the tried & true 1911 extractor or an external extractor with spring like most modern firearms use.
    I am asking the collective wisdom of the board to offer insight as to the value of the above options. Cost is not a consideration, reliability is. Other options or suggestion are also welcome.
    I have used Caspian parts in the past to build some very accurate full sized 1911 target pistols that after thousands of rounds, still are tight and accurate.

Roger - - - An armed society is a polite society

Quote Originally Posted by Velocette View Post
    Gentlemen;
    I am planning to build an Officers model 1911 for my carry pistol. My intention is to use a stainless frame / 3 1/2" slide from Caspian arms & a Bar-Sto or Wilson barrel. My question involves the options offered by Caspian arms. I have the choice of using a no bushing "bull" barrel or a standard 1911 style. I have the option of a fully ramped barrel or the standard 1911 design, likewise a standard slide release / safety spring housing or an integral one. Finally, I must choose whether to use the tried & true 1911 extractor or an external extractor with spring like most modern firearms use.
    I am asking the collective wisdom of the board to offer insight as to the value of the above options. Cost is not a consideration, reliability is. Other options or suggestion are also welcome.
    I have used Caspian parts in the past to build some very accurate full sized 1911 target pistols that after thousands of rounds, still are tight and accurate.

Roger - - - An armed society is a polite society
    First, nice choice!

Either the Wilson or Bar-Sto are both good choices, your choice.

Personally I'd go with the bushing and keep to the standared 1911 with this one and would also go with an internal extractor.

That said, I do have a bushingless "bull barrel" Kimber that is fine and accurate but I kinda miss the bushing and believe that with a good bushing a custom 1911 is that more accurate.

Who is doing your build? Are you building or are you sending this off?

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Administrator

Let Me Complicate Things For You

I would go with the Bull barrel & eliminate the bbl bushing for a self defense carry pistol since a well fit Bull barrel will be more than accurate enough for your intended purpose. The Bull barrel adds some weight where it's needed and going bushingless has eliminated many of the function related issues with chopped pistols due to and the larger slide opening and the way the barrel can be profiled so that slide movement back and forth is totally unhindered.

I would not go with a ramped barrel.

Oh and internal extractor by Cylinder & Slide or an Aftec internal though $60.00 is a lot to spend on an extractor...they work absolutely fantastic if properly fit.

Administrator

Post Addition

You might just want to take a look at the Detonics CombatMaster.
    The CombatMaster already has all of the tricky bugs worked out of a shortened/chopped STAINLESS .45 (slide, frame & barrel + all parts are extremely high quality) The Detonics recoil spring set~up works VERY WELL - at least stick with the same barrel type and extractor set up if you're going to build your own.

http://www.detonicsusa.com/combatmaster.html

Links