Trigger pull difference between K9/MK9 and the Elite Version of the K9/MK9?

This is a discussion on Trigger pull difference between K9/MK9 and the Elite Version of the K9/MK9? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been looking for a micro 9 for a while now. I have seen the Kahr Elite version, specifically the MK9 Elite, on their WEB ...

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar

I've been looking for a micro 9 for a while now. I have seen the Kahr Elite version, specifically the MK9 Elite, on their WEB page but it doesn't say if there is a difference in the trigger pull between the elite and the standard version.

I haven't been able to find an Elite in a store to try it. I handled an MK9 a few days ago, it has nice "heft" to it, I wouldn't be trying to pocket carry it, just want something easier to conceal than my G26 on occasions when I can't hide it but could conceal more than my LCP or P238. The MK9 would be a couple of ounces heavier than the P290 but with out the issues. My only problem with the Kahr is how long the trigger pull is. I suppose i could get used to it, but if the Elite is better, I'd rather go with that.

Anybody know if there is a difference in trigger pull between standard and Elite based on personally comparing the two versions?

Thanks!
    Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

I believe there was a difference in the past. I have a CM9 and a CW9. I have shot a MK9 Elite and a new PM9 all black. Not much if any difference in the trigger pull, once you have several hundred rounds down range. I am not an expert by any measure. I will say the MK9 Elite is a very smooth pistol to shoot! The extra weight of the all steel MK9 really soaks up the recoil. The black PM9 is also very smooth and was outstanding out of the box. The hard coating on the slide makes for a very easy operating slide and the pistol could be field stripped with finger pressure even before the 200 round break in! While I am very happy with my low cost CW9 and CM9 pistols I really like the all black tritium sight PM9 model!

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    All Kahrs have the same trigger except for the K9 which comes in two trigger variants, the standard trigger on all other Kahrs and a longer trigger pull variant now called the "NYPD" trigger. The standard pull is stated by Kahr as a 3/8" length of pull at 7lbs. The longer pull is 1/2" at the same 7 lbs. In the past the K9 Elite featured the shorter pull as well as other features. According to the Kahr Forum the K9 now comes standard with the short pull.

All Mk9s should have the shorter pull.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    I've been looking for a micro 9 for a while now. I have seen the Kahr Elite version, specifically the MK9 Elite, on their WEB page but it doesn't say if there is a difference in the trigger pull between the elite and the standard version.

I haven't been able to find an Elite in a store to try it. I handled an MK9 a few days ago, it has nice "heft" to it, I wouldn't be trying to pocket carry it, just want something easier to conceal than my G26 on occasions when I can't hide it but could conceal more than my LCP or P238. The MK9 would be a couple of ounces heavier than the P290 but with out the issues. My only problem with the Kahr is how long the trigger pull is. I suppose i could get used to it, but if the Elite is better, I'd rather go with that.

Anybody know if there is a difference in trigger pull between standard and Elite based on personally comparing the two versions?

Thanks!
    Fitch
    Ever thought about trying a Springfield EMP 9mm? They are pretty schweet!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Thanks for the input folks.

C hawk Glock;

Oh yeah. I've thought about an EMP maybe 1,000 times. Probably handled 25 of them in stores since they came out. It really is a beautiful piece of work. Feels really good in the hand. Sure is pricey. I just have trouble spending that much money on a carry gun. I couldn't bring myself to buy a used one. Used Glock, no problem. Used EMP, not so much.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Ripley is correct. All Kahr triggers are identical except the NYPD K9 which is approximately 1/8" longer. I ave the MK9 and it's an unusual gun in that you can shoot it all day long at the range yet it's very concealable. If feels heavier than it is because all of the weight is concentrated in such a small package.

Worst thing about the MK9 is the hard nylon grips are very sick. you can't get the softer hogue rugger ones like you find o the K9. An option is the A grip wrap and it's excellent but nearly $30. Another option is to cut a bit of a bicycle inner tube to cover the grip. That makes it an excellent grip. A great OWB holster for this gun that's VERY concealable yet very comfortable is a Bonneville by UBG holsters. Personally, if you think you won't mind a "snappier" shooting gun, I'd go with the PM9 with blackened slide and night sights. It has more muzzle flip but if you can control that well it's still very shootable an a lot lighter. If I had to do it all over I'd probably go the PM9 route. I'd also spend the extra money for the PM9 over the CMP. I like the slide better and the barrel.

If you could get the hogue softer grips for the MK9 it would be idea but alas no more....an I wouldn't worry about the trgger length. Its a very smooth trigger an pefect for CCW applicatons.
    Gideon

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    Ripley is correct. All Kahr triggers are identical except the NYPD K9 which is approximately 1/8" longer. I ave the MK9 and it's an unusual gun in that you can shoot it all day long at the range yet it's very concealable. If feels heavier than it is because all of the weight is concentrated in such a small package.

Worst thing about the MK9 is the hard nylon grips are very sick. you can't get the softer hogue rugger ones like you find o the K9. An option is the A grip wrap and it's excellent but nearly $30. Another option is to cut a bit of a bicycle inner tube to cover the grip. That makes it an excellent grip. A great OWB holster for this gun that's VERY concealable yet very comfortable is a Bonneville by UBG holsters. Personally, if you think you won't mind a "snappier" shooting gun, I'd go with the PM9 with blackened slide and night sights. It has more muzzle flip but if you can control that well it's still very shootable an a lot lighter. If I had to do it all over I'd probably go the PM9 route. I'd also spend the extra money for the PM9 over the CMP. I like the slide better and the barrel.

If you could get the hogue softer grips for the MK9 it would be idea but alas no more....an I wouldn't worry about the trgger length. Its a very smooth trigger an pefect for CCW applicatons.
    Gideon
    Very informative - thanks.

Based on your post I think I'd like the MK9 a lot. It's about the same weight as my G26 but a little thinner - I do just fine shooting the G26 - 1/4 second splits within 2" for double taps. I think I'd like the MK9, perhaps in a thin rubber grip sleeve, better in my 70 year old hands than the PM9 which, based on shooting one at the range, is tolerable but too snappy for me to do decent double taps with, and not fun to practice with.

Thanks Again
    Fitch

Like Ripley said, they are all the same now, other than the K9 NYPD trigger. However, it was my understanding that the trigger face is polished on the Elite series.

Links