Seriously considering a Beretta 92fs

This is a discussion on Seriously considering a Beretta 92fs within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am not looking necessrily for another concealed carry weapon. I have a J frame that does that job nicely. So technicaly this is not ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Seriously considering a Beretta 92fs

I am not looking necessrily for another concealed carry weapon. I have a J frame that does that job nicely. So technicaly this is not a carry question but there's a lot of knowlege here that I'm hoping to tap. I own a few pistols but have nothing that would be considered a "combat " weapon. Not that I'm considering combat, just the gun. I'm looking for an auto that is large enough to absorb some of the recoil in rapid fire. Also heavy enough and with a long enough sight radius to be at least as accurate as I am, without being so heavy as to be a burdon. I WANT an exposed hammer SA/DA weapon so D/O only autos have been eliminated. Also honestly, to my eye the Beretta looks good. This may sound stupid but I've always preferred a gun that looks good (at least to me) although if it's wasn't reliable I would have to pass. So what I'm looking for in a nut shell is, a full sized sa/da auto, that is accurate and reliable. It must also be capable of digesting everything from ball to HP with equal ease. If there are any members here experienced with the 92fs I'd sure appreciate your feedback. Also, I want to stay with 9mm so I can keep my required variety of ammo to a minimum. I'm also open to suggestions as long as they fit my criteria.

VIP Member
    'Sounds like you want a 92fs alright.

Paging Mr. Guantes...

The Beretta is a great gun, ultra reliable, easy to clean, and eats anything. Also look at the CZ 75. They are one of the finest firearms in the world, and may be just what you are looking for. The advantage it has over the Beretta, is the capability to carry locked and cocked like a single action, or double action/single action like the Beretta. Also, Sig is another great choice. I would look at all three of these before I decided.

Guantes is who you want to talk to about the 92fs.
    ASSA9 and gorilla45 like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Carried the M9 (identical to 92FS but with a different label on the slide) in Afghanistan and qualified with it and all that. Honestly it's a good gun and assuming you like the size and weight of it you can't go wrong with one. They are accurate and reliable, and at the end of the day that's what counts. Just stay away from the cheapo surplus Checkmate magazines and you'll be good to go.

I had a 92fs inox and loved it, it took any ammo I could buy which at that time was usually the cheapest I could find. Its a great gun in my opinion. I unfortunatly had to sell mine a few years or so back to cover some emergency car repairs. I now have the PX4 9mm inox which I love also still plan on getting another 92fs but the PX4 maybe something to look at also same features but on a polymer frame and available in compact and subcompact if desired. I'm biased being the 92fs is what I was raised shooting and I like the DA/SA action and slde mounted safety/decocker its what I am familiar and comfortable with. I would say I had to have put somewhere around 5000 rounds through my 92fs without any issues and I used anything from factory to remanufactered jhp whatever was the cheapest thing I could stock up on. You cant go wrong with a 92fs in my opinion.

If you can hide the size and weight don't hesitate (kinda sounds like Jessie Jackson) I would go it for an EXCELLENT firearm for sure.

Sorry but I have to laugh. I have a bunch of guns and would never carry the 92FS as a personal concealed defensive handgun anymore than I would my 1911s (which I love to shoot) because I just want to be able to take a grip and pull the trigger should the time come (so it's M&P or Glock). No manual safety for me. With all that said, I bought a 92fs from a person who really needed the cash and just figured I'd sell it later AND I thought it was a gorgeous gun! Yes, looks count! That was 2 years ago, I still have it, and will probably never let it go. It is a nice gun, smooth, feels good in my hand, shoots well, and just fun to have so I still have it and shoot it at the range frequently. I had another sa/da (SIG 225) which I gave to my son but the 92Fs was much smoother. Still won't carry it although if TEOTWAWKI happens, it think it would be on my belt along with my AR and 870 on my back because 9mm, 5.56, and 12 gauge would be among the most available ammunition around.

I owned a Beretta 8040 Cougar. It was a nice piece. I eventually traded it off. But another handgun I have experience w/ that fits your criteria is the Sig Sauer P228. It melts into the hand and is a sweet shooter. Not bad to carry either.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I've had my 92FS for about 15 years. I'm a fan. Mine has been super reliable as well as a sweet shooter. Don't rule it out for concealed carry either. As with any concealed carry piece a good belt and holster make it possible. I wouldn't part with my Beretta.
    Attached Images
    zonker1986 and RTTR84 like this.

Hey, gryphon.....I am in agreement with Azchief here. 92fs....one sweet weapon. That mentioned, when you get a chance, check out the Beretta PX 4 Storm Full size Type F sometime. It is all of what you are looking for....plus some.

Your concern of recoil (and/or muzzel flip) is well justified. The PX4 uses a rotating barrel design that not only serves to minimize felt recoil, but adds a crapload to accuracy, consistency and reliability. The Type F is SA/DA, has an exposed hammer and gives the owner HIS choice on carry condition. I carry mine (Type F .40 S/W) safety/decocker off, round chambered and at half cock. (Virtually the same as a SA/DA revolver)....ready to roll DA, or given the situation give it's hammer a full cock and commence fire. (follow-up shots are all set S/A).

Add maybe a laser and/or a light, extended magazine (that gives you 17+ rounds up front with the 9mm), shoulder holster and I would say you have a fine CC.

If you end up holding one at your gun shop, just remember that super light feel will change a bit when fully loaded....but with the added ammo weight the balance comes in nicely and still is easy enough to carry all day when you have your holster adjusted right.

You like a set -up that looks good, can't go wrong on good looks with the PX4!

neverenough

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    The Beretta 92 is one handgun I did not want to like. Bumping off the old warhorse .45 and all.

But I shot my brothers & I liked it! Pointed well decent trigger decent sights & with the top of the slide cut out seems like a stovepipe jam would be unlikley, hi cap magazines fairly lightweight and pretty darn accurate.
    Think you would like it.
    bmcgilvray and hienykins like this.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I've never liked 9mm. Never. But, I've said before, the only 9mm I will ever bring into my house would be a Beretta 92. I have a soft spot for those that I just can't quite explain. Might be the 'bulletproofness' of it. Might be the fact that it weighs more than a Hi Point and looks kinda 'unique'. Either way, I would love a Beretta 92FS.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

I like the 92F, I carried a M9 also, seen several that were not taken care of to well (officers, my old company commander you listening??) and those weapons still went boom when the trigger was pulled...I like the berretta. but i have an M&P 45 cause we got a hella discount from S&W..

Nix
    Quote Originally Posted by modernknight View Post
    officers, my old company commander you listening??
    Check your fire. My M9 went back to the armory in better shape than I got it.

And my 92FS is my only 9mm. (I have a Browning HP, but it is promised to a friend.) I'm not a huge 9mm fan, but I must say the 92FS is an excellent firearm. Utterly dependable, at least as accurate as I am, maybe more so. It does seem like a large pistol, but most people seem to be able to fire it fairly well.

For personal use I might consider a Sig or Glock, but if you like the Beretta 92FS, you can't do better.
    modernknight likes this.

Nix---Just a little playful picking between NCO and Officers..lol
    I will admit all soldiers worth their salt are pretty good about that..my coment was directed at one incident that really happened. my company commander from my Infantry company told me on a friday after we got out of the field that he would release the company when all the weapons were clean..he asked me how many i was waiting for..i told him one weapon...he said take that weapon to the soldier and tell him the whole company is staying until he cleans it....so, I brought him his rusty M9...LOL his face was priceless but he was a good officer and soldier, proud to have served with him....even if he did get both of us lost one night for 7 hrs during land nav...but that is a different story...lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links