NEW GUN! RIA 22 TCM, a .223 on a necked down 9mm case in a 1911 package, 2100 FPS - Page 2

NEW GUN! RIA 22 TCM, a .223 on a necked down 9mm case in a 1911 package, 2100 FPS

This is a discussion on NEW GUN! RIA 22 TCM, a .223 on a necked down 9mm case in a 1911 package, 2100 FPS within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Isn't this basically a new 5.7x28mm round?...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: NEW GUN! RIA 22 TCM, a .223 on a necked down 9mm case in a 1911 package, 2100 FPS

Isn't this basically a new 5.7x28mm round?
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    Isn't this basically a new 5.7x28mm round?
    Thats exactly what I was thinking. You can get 50gr 5.7x28 from eliteammuntion.com that has very similar performance and in a proven pistol and carbin package. The FiveseveN has been on my short list for some time now.
    having said that this does look like a pretty cool gun/round.
    I carry a .357mag because no one bickers about the .357mag being "enough".

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    As a few others have said this round does indeed look like another 5-7, the one big difference being that it may work well in other platforms, i.e. G19, G17 exc. The only reason I could see this round doing well is if someone put out a 9mm carbine that had an easy barrel swap out so you could use Glock 9mm mags with .22 tcm ammo in a carbine. That would be cool to me, but as a pistol round? Nope. Sorry.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Something tells me this round will slice thru most body armor like butter,but may be a great defensive round for recoil sensitive people
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

saw this at a gun show while i was in the Philippines. This is going to be on my list for sure
    Proudly living in the free state of Florida

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    If you like toys, you buy this now. If you want personal and home defense you buy FN. Until someone shows me that this firearm is as good as an FN in reliabilty and every other standard that a reasonable person should use to judge a fiream that will be more than a toy, IMO, that is all it is. New products, even from the manufacturers who a reasonable person would put on the A List, sometimes have problems. Always open to newbies in 57 field and look forward to seeing real critical reviews over time. This goes for this firearm and the Excel firearm currently in production. Yes, I currently have an FN 57 and it is perfect. There is a list of the many law enforcement agencies and even the secret service who agree with me, not to mention the BGs like drug cartel/dealers and the Ft Hood moslem terrorist (there I said it--sorry Obama, Napolitano and Holder---would someone please try him already and hang him?).

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Similar idea to the FN 5.7mm?
    That's what I was thinking. Since RIA has a history of solid products at reasonable prices maybe the new round will be somewhat economical.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

A 40 grain bullet at 2100 fps, isn't that comparable to a .22 WMR?

I think the 5.7, although I don't have the numbers right now, would be a much better option. 5.7x28 vs 5.56x19, are they both using the same .224 bullet?

It is interesting, but we'll have to see how it performs after a year, or so, on the market.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    The American Handgunner's most recent issue discusses the round and says it's based on the .223 case. That would most likely be stronger than a necked-down 9mm case. It does say teh pistol in the article can be converted to 9mm by replacing the barrel. "Supposed" to be some 300 fps faster than the 5.7.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    Here are some youtube videos of the .22 TCM in the Philippines. Those Pinoys really love their guns !!! God Bless

.22 cal TCM Breath of Fire - YouTube

Muzzle Flash - 22 TCM testfire - YouTube

Armscor 1911 .22 TCM - YouTube

The new .22 cal TCM Rock Island Armory (ArmsCor Phils.) - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The American Handgunner's most recent issue discusses the round and says it's based on the .223 case. That would most likely be stronger than a necked-down 9mm case. It does say teh pistol in the article can be converted to 9mm by replacing the barrel. "Supposed" to be some 300 fps faster than the 5.7.
    There's already a round like that - the .221 fireball, but it's a little too long for a semi-auto. Great in a Contender, though. Be interesting to see a Judge chambered for it.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Nix
    I love you guys. I've always wanted to be a curmudgeon and I now have a good chance: what is wrong with the venerable .45 ACP?

I guess I'm asking what the advantage of a 5.7mm or .22 TCM might be? And are those advantages needed by the average civilian carrying for personal protection?

Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    I love you guys. I've always wanted to be a curmudgeon and I now have a good chance: what is wrong with the venerable .45 ACP?

I guess I'm asking what the advantage of a 5.7mm or .22 TCM might be? And are those advantages needed by the average civilian carrying for personal protection?
    Cant speak for the .22 TCM but the FiveseveN has VERY low recoil and can carry 20 to 30 rds, not to mention the weight of a FiveseveN is around 20-21oz unloaded. I can mag dump a FiveseveN @ 10yds and keep all rounds in the center mass target, and i do mean firing as fast as I possibly can.
    I carry a .357mag because no one bickers about the .357mag being "enough".

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    Interesting in the January / February 2012 American Handgunner Magazine article they say that a 40gr. 5.7x28 out of the FN Pistol averages about 1650ft/sec which equates to about 242ft-lbs of energy. The 40gr. .22TCM is clocked at 2050ft/sec which equates to about 373ft-lbs of energy. I am guessing with hotter loads for this round you will be approaching over 400+ft-lbs of energy !!! This is a pretty interesting round to say the least. I am sure in the future when it is released to the public there will be a lot of comparisons and analysis between the .22TCM round and the 5.7x28 round. More choices for us !!! God Bless

I'm trying to figure the purpose.. I like additional capacity, so I own a CZ SP01 with 20 rounds of 9mm in it. why goof around with a less powerful untested round?
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links