NEW GUN! RIA 22 TCM, a .223 on a necked down 9mm case in a 1911 package, 2100 FPS - Page 3

NEW GUN! RIA 22 TCM, a .223 on a necked down 9mm case in a 1911 package, 2100 FPS

This is a discussion on NEW GUN! RIA 22 TCM, a .223 on a necked down 9mm case in a 1911 package, 2100 FPS within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As you may know the cartridge is not based on the 9mm Luger. It is,in fact, a shortened .223 cartridge. The 22 Micro-Mag is the ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: NEW GUN! RIA 22 TCM, a .223 on a necked down 9mm case in a 1911 package, 2100 FPS

As you may know the cartridge is not based on the 9mm Luger. It is,in fact, a shortened .223 cartridge. The 22 Micro-Mag is the same cartridge.
    The pistol is fairly priced and you should be able to buy one for under 600 bucks out the door if you shop around.
    It also comes with a 9mm Luger barrel and recoil spring. You only get one hi-cap magazine with the pistol. A new magazine is only 28 dollars. Not too bad for a new pistol. Another manufacture uses the same magazine for double the cost!
    I have one of these pistols and the little cartridge is one of those that far outperforms its size.
    The muzzle blast is very impressive with the recoil being like a .38 Special shooting a mid-range wad-cutter load. A follow up shot is not a problem.
    The pistols sights are well made and adjusting the POI was easy. The little cartridge preformed very well and will group the bullets with the best of them. I have a 5.7 as well and this little cartridge has an edge on down range performance. A plus is the ammo is cheaper to buy and the factory will reload you once fired brass for 1/2 the cost of a new box! No one else does this.
    In Israel, this cartridge is known as the .223IMI. A few photo's of their ammo can be found on the web. The details are not being shared but you can see the bullet is sold bronze/brass.
    The factory loads I have tried will blast right through a 1/4" steel plate set to 50 yards. And that being a soft point. The "solids" will be be a better combat load.
    The pistol is well made and the slide has been honed onto the frame rails. It is very smooth to cycle. Trigger is crisp and broke at 6 pounds.
    The pistol is all steel. No parts other than the grips are plastic.( the grips on the first models are so cheeze-ball that the factory is replacing ,for free, the grips to a new Epoxy impregnated canvas grip set.) You boaters know this material as most capstans and blocks on boats are made of this material.
    As for a home defense round I'd have to hold back. The fireball is very impressive and your night vision would be gone after the first shot.
    As for a CCW it will be a plus. After seeing first hand what the bullet will do to steel and other material,I'm taking it on a hog hunt the end of this month as a back up firearm.
    Will it fail on the market? Who knows? It is fun to shoot,will be very inexpensive to reload ( no dies sold as yet) and still be a centerfire cartridge with really outstanding performance.
    The pistol is cheaper than the FN 5.7. and it is a M1911 to boot. Got to love it.

Nice gun but unless there is great numbers ammo will be problem just like it is with the 5.7 which I love by the way and have two. I would buy one just because i know how much the 5.7x28 is fun to shoot. Now get me compact 1911 for this cartridge and i am all in. Load Barnes X bullets get close to 1900+ FPS and I am all in.

I have been looking for one of these at local stores and shows, but have not found one yet. I saw pictures of the steel backstop plates at some range in the Philippines that show the hole it made and 5.56. Very impressive round !!! God Bless

The good news is the brass can be made from .223 ( big trim) and .221 fireball ( little trim ). Once dies are made by LEE ( a lot less than RCBS) this cartridge will take off. Out here all of the gun shops have this cartridge on the shelves as I write this. Only time will tell.

Ex Member
    A solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

VIP Member
    That will be $591.99 for the pistol and $1,000.99 for the ammo sir.....
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

The pistol replaces nothing. It is meant to be what it is and nothing more. A high capacity .22 center fire round out of a 1911. It has some military interest and small game uses. It is a fun cartridge out of a well known pistol type.
    kmagnuss likes this.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I'd like to see a lot of manufacturers make guns for this cartridge, HK, S&W M&P, etc. A small revolver will be really nice also!

A great experiment, I would consider it IF the ammo were readily available and decently priced. Experimental guns with new calibers are just that, experimental. Not saying I didn't drool, and it would be sure be cool in the safe, but until the caliber is more "main stream".
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Depending on bullet construction, twist and a host of other factors...

This could really do well, or fail miserably.

(Is someone gonna do a Glock barrel for this round? Because that would really help it take off.)
    In total agreement, Big hit or big fail
    I am hoping for BIG HIT!

22 TCM vs. 22 WMR

[QUOTE=zacii;2084096]A 40 grain bullet at 2100 fps, isn't that comparable to a .22 WMR?

Yes, the ballistics are similar, BUT:

The 22 TCM is/will be reloadable.
    The gun comes with a 9mm barrel.
    the gun is the beauty queen of all semi-autos, the 1911.
    It fits all the holsters I already own.
    I'll buy a Rock Island over a Kel-Tec any time.

The only reason I don't own one yet is that I have yet to find ammo at case/bulk prices. I'll need a large quantity until reloading dies are available.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    A 40 grain bullet at 2100 fps, isn't that comparable to a .22 WMR?

I think the 5.7, although I don't have the numbers right now, would be a much better option. 5.7x28 vs 5.56x19, are they both using the same .224 bullet?

It is interesting, but we'll have to see how it performs after a year, or so, on the market.
    Yes, except this will hit 2000+fps out of a pistol, not rifle barrel.....
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

i'm about to get one of this in 30 mins or so..will see

Let us know.

Well since I can swage 223 bullet tips from 22 spent brass for almost nothing once the gun is available I will need to not only buy a few hundred rounds of factory ammo,but try to get other people at the range to buy one and then sweep up their spent brass to reload for mine WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links