GLOCK Accidental Discharge?

This is a discussion on GLOCK Accidental Discharge? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by theskunk Some federal agencies (ICE) are so sick of AD that they are looking at Sigs Your saying ND's are a reason ...

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Like Tree141Likes

Thread: GLOCK Accidental Discharge?

AOK
    Quote Originally Posted by theskunk View Post
    Some federal agencies (ICE) are so sick of AD that they are looking at Sigs
    Your saying ND's are a reason they are looking at Sigs? Source?

If that is true the agencies have nobody to blame but themselves for lack of training they provide for their agents and a lack of standards they expect from them IMHO.
    Majorlk and baren like this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Who said Glocks don't have a decocker?
    MitchellCT likes this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    As pictured my glock will not fire either as the trigger is protected so what is your point?
    My point is that if the trigger is unprotected for some reason on your Glock, then an object contacting it could possibly cause it to fire. Sorry if that point escaped you.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    My point is that if the trigger is unprotected for some reason on your Glock, then an object contacting it could possibly cause it to fire. Sorry if that point escaped you.
    Yep just like this 1911, once it is out of the holster all bets are off huh? What part of that escapes you? Or should we blame the weapon here and be scared of it and carry something else to feel good?

AOK
    Sure looks like it's in a holster. I don't know how an object will get in the trigger guard while in a holster.

I feel no safer or in danger whether I carry a glock, my snub, or my 1911. Anyone that does so is either a firearm novice, or needs to work on their weapon handling skills as well as their self confidence.
    tacman605 and 64zebra like this.

Yep just like this 1911, once it is out of the holster all bets are off huh? What part of that escapes you? Or should we blame the weapon here and be scared of it and carry something else to feel good?

I'm not blaming the weapon in either case nor am I scared of Glocks. Personally, I don't like plastic guns. Some folks do. It's great that there's something for everybody. I like the external safeties on my 1911, but I've got two Sigs that will go bang anytime the trigger is pulled. The original question was "where does cocked and locked fit in?" I replied to that. It wasn't a personal attack on you or your Glock.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

eb
    This is due to some people becoming lazy and inattentive when wielding a loaded firearm. It pisses me off, because it makes the other 99% of us seem "dangerous" to the sheeple. The problem isn't the gun, its the humans with their heads in their arses.

Glocks are popular guns, so its no surprise you'd likely see more stories about them than anything else. Pay attention to what you are doing, use a good holster, and you're not going to shoot yourself. I don't even like Glocks personally, and this has nothing to do with a Glock. My Kahrs could do the same exact thing, but they don't get the bad press.
    Majorlk and 64zebra like this.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theskunk View Post
    Some federal agencies (ICE) are so sick of AD that they are looking at Sigs
    I get tired of hearing what every three letter acronym supposedly carries. Secondly, the Dept. of Homeland Security, under which ICE operates, has used Sig p229's for a long while now (directly from Sigs site anyways), it's not a new thing that has developed recently because of Glock accidental discharges, aka, improper gun handling. Whether you carry a Glock, M&P, XD, Sig, DA Revolver, or a daisy .17 cal BB gun just use common gun sense and the safety between your ears.
    Secret Spuk, 64zebra and Lee 1973 like this.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

I'm not blaming the weapon in either case nor am I scared of Glocks. Personally, I don't like plastic guns. Some folks do. It's great that there's something for everybody. I like the external safeties on my 1911, but I've got two Sigs that will go bang anytime the trigger is pulled. The original question was "where does cocked and locked fit in?" I replied to that. It wasn't a personal attack on you or your Glock.
    I am just trying to put down the internet myths perpetuated by fear of the lack of safeties on some personal defense weapons. AD and ND's happen for two reasons: Negligence or mechanical failure. It is more the former than the latter that make up the demographics of ND's. The only AD I will accept is a mechanical failure of the firearm. Normally it is and ND aka failure to handle the weapon correctly, busting one off during an adrenaline dump, faulty holsters and or equipment ( which is the users responsibility to inspect) , negligence and allowing a foreign object to interfere with the trigger while reholstering. This can and has happened with ANY weapon, including the fabled and mighty 1911.

Mindfulness when reholstering along with all other rules of safe gun handling, and the use of a good holster keeps the Glock safe enough for me. Those who let things snag on the trigger on the way into a holster and those who want to stick the Glock in their belts sans any holster and those who cheap out with soft formless holsters are subject to accidents. I consider my Glock 17 to be safe carried in the gear I use and reholstered safely. I don't expect my Glocks to suffer foolishness or careless handling on my part.
    Attached Images

I am just trying to put down the internet myths perpetuated by fear of the lack of safeties on some personal defense weapons. AD and ND's happen for two reasons: Negligence or mechanical failure. It is more the former than the latter that make up the demographics of ND's. The only AD I will accept is a mechanical failure of the firearm. Normally it is and ND aka failure to handle the weapon correctly, busting one off during an adrenaline dump, faulty holsters and or equipment ( which is the users responsibility to inspect) , negligence and allowing a foreign object to interfere with the trigger while reholstering. This can and has happened with ANY weapon, including the fabled and mighty 1911.
    I agree with you. I've heard of people being shot with about every brand of gun out there. I like the external safeties on a 1911, but any safety can be overridden with a sufficient application of stupidity or negligence. I'm just not a big fan of polymer guns, regardless of who makes them. Likewise, I'm sure that there are people who aren't big fans of stainless and alloy, tight tolerances, night sights, ambidexterous safeties, beveled magazine wells, great reliability, .45 ACP, and outstanding accuracy. To each his own.

Sorry, the devil made me do that...
    Belskisfast and WilliamDahl like this.

I agree with you. I've heard of people being shot without about every brand of gun out there. I like the external safeties on a 1911, but any safety can be overridden with a sufficient application of stupidity or negligence. I'm just not a big fan of polymer guns, regardless of who makes them. Likewise, I'm sure that there are people who aren't big fans of stainless and alloy, tight tolerances, night sights, ambidexterous safeties, beveled magazine wells, great reliability, .45 ACP, and outstanding accuracy. To each his own.

Sorry, the devil made me do that...
    I understand.... JMB did not design his masterpiece to have tight tolerances, night sights, ambi safeties, and beveled magazine wells..... I will stick to the purist form of the weapon and not the modern copies with more accessories than a new car
    Secret Spuk and Belskisfast like this.

I'd be willing to bet that anyone who had had this happen had the same thought and attitude those in this thread share. I can't imagine anyone carrying who thought to themselves "maybe today I'll be careless". Nobody here is immune, don't kid yourselves.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I understand.... JMB did not design his masterpiece to have tight tolerances, night sights, ambi safeties, and beveled magazine wells..... I will stick to the purist form of the weapon and not the modern copies with more accessories than a new car
    You would have liked that 1911 that I carried back in the late 60's then. Take care and stay safe.
    Belskisfast likes this.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Links