Durable Finish.

Durable Finish.

This is a discussion on Durable Finish. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Some of you may chuckle, but both my brother and I carry CZ-52's. The problem we've encountered is the amount of cleaning it takes to ...

Thread: Durable Finish.

Durable Finish.

Some of you may chuckle, but both my brother and I carry CZ-52's. The problem we've encountered is the amount of cleaning it takes to keep them from rusting or becoming discolored at the points they touch our skin. What finish would best discourage or eliminate this problem in a carry pistol?

Robar makes the Roguard and NP3 finishes, both of which are exceedingly resistant to carry issues. A friend has a couple guns finished in this way and they are very nice. I've lusted after Birdsong's Black-T for some years, and Wilson Combat's Armor Tuff is supposedly very good.

At the moment, my CZ P01 is the stock finish. The moment I see degredation due to usage (like you're describing), it's off to Robar for this one. Barrel & mags would be NP3, with the gun being done in Roguard.

- Michael
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Don't know how to answer your question, but I'll post to tell you that IMHO you've got nothing to be ashamed of in carrying a CZ-52.

I've had a couple and even carried'em for a while.

Inexpensive, low-recoil, reliable, thin, easy-to-conceal, tight-grouping mothers. If you've got one that shoots POA, you've really got something.

Wolf has a great load out for them now, something that does like 1700 fps from a CZ-52 barrel. And then you've got specialty loads for it, too, like Glasers, if you're into that.

And you can "roll your own" to come up with some wicked loads...

Wood grips or Hogue Wraparound grip, aftermarket firing pin, and man, you have a sweet, sweet piece.

Great guns. Good luck!!

Several options:

Hard Chrome from Ford's Guns, Accurate Plating & Weaponry, or several others.

Polymer finishes from Robar, Birdsong, or Lauer Custom Weaponry.

HC can have anything from the dull gray, blasted stainless steel look to high polish.

Polymer is pretty much any color you want, now. NP3 is a bit different, as it is a Teflon over Nickle coat.

Polymer can be a do-it-yourself affair, with Brownell's Teflon/Moly, or LCW Duracoat home-kits. Both are easy to use, and very durable, as long as you follow the directions. (I've done 5 guns myself)

I like hard chrome for durability

Hard chrome plating is commonly used in industry for metal parts that have to withstand abrasion in a corrosive environment. It is extremely hard and scratch resistant. I have two guns (Glocks) with hard chrome on the slides, and they always look brand new, never showing any wear after a number of years of use.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    I have used duracoat on many of my pre-owned pieces and it seems to work well and is cost effective....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post
    Inexpensive, low-recoil, reliable, thin, easy-to-conceal, tight-grouping mothers. If you've got one that shoots POA, you've really got something.
    Yeah, the gun snobs at the local indoor range don't seem to like them. I got wood grips and a new firing pin on mine. I'd like to refinish it and try loads with .30 carbine rounds in 7.62x25 brass. I'm told it's the same caliber, but the .30 carbines are 110 grains. I'd like to see how much that affects shot placement.

Otherwise, I concur. Very accurate weapon. I made a concious decision to get the least expensive firearm that would be reasonable and spend my money on ammo and range time. Mine definitely shoots POA, and for quite some distance. My father, a long time shooter, was surprised to see how far I could get in on paper at the rifle range. Six rounds out of eight at 100 yards on a two foot square sheet of paper.

Sponsored Links