Debating between Glock and Steyr - Page 3

Debating between Glock and Steyr

This is a discussion on Debating between Glock and Steyr within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Burbs I've been reading both this forum and the Steyr forum and it seems to be split down the middle. I would ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Debating between Glock and Steyr

Quote Originally Posted by Burbs View Post
    I've been reading both this forum and the Steyr forum and it seems to be split down the middle. I would like to know what truly sets these two manufactures apart. Is it quality?
    Reliability? One thing that leads me more towards Glock is the availability of accessories and more holster options. Can both of these guns shoot reloads without issue?

Thanks,

Chris
    go to http://steyrclub.com/ where all the pros and cons of the guns are discussed by people who actually own them, and don't base your views on some posts by a bunch of people that are far from being well informed. good luck with whatever you do choose

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    That is simply untrue. I very much dislike XDs, and I hate the trigger and ergos of the M&P, but I love Glocks. YMMV.

Edit: The M&P is a fine pistol, however, it just doesn't suit me.
    +1

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk
    It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. - David Hume

Styer vs Glock?

I own both pistols. Two Styer M-40, and two Glock 23... and a Glock 19.
    I agree that the Styer is Glock perfected. Contrary to popular belief there is an abundance of after market gadgets for them. Holsters are a bit scarce... but can be had. As far as Magazines?... I have six for each gun... my local gun store has plenty.
    While I own Glocks... I carry my styer.

FWIW:
    reposted from the steyrclub site that sums it up well:

Re: Ammunition Question & What Makes Steyr Better Than Glock
    The Glock advantage over Steyr is primarily in aftermarket parts. You could spend $10,000 on Glock aftermarket parts and not have two of the same item. Aside from the Steyr Club's Big Taco's custom made (and excellent quality) parts and Trijicon night sights, there really aren't many aftermarket parts. There aren't a ton of holster manufacturers that make Steyr holsters but there are some very nice ones. Some will say that Glocks are more reliable than Steyrs but I have had zero problems in over a 1,000 rounds from my M9-A1 using factory rounds. I have had some FTE problems with reloads, however.

The Steyr's advantage over Glock is primarily ergonomics. It's got a slightly lower bore-axis than the Glock and I don't know anyone who's held a Steyr who didn't love the grip. Many people can't stand the blocky feel of the Glock grip. The Steyr's trapezoidal sights are either love 'em or hate 'em and there are no trapezoidal night sights available. Steyrs aren't as well known here in the states so they tend to get more range attention from your neighbors; whether that's a plus or not or irrelevant is up to you. Steyr's customer service is excellent. Searching the site here will yield tons of examples of stellar customer support from Steyr USA.

If you want an interesting gun with excellent ergonomics, I'd say go with the Steyr. If you want a SHTF, find replacement/aftermarket parts anywhere gun, you definitely want to go with the Glock.

Best of all solutions?? Buy one of each.

apvbguy,

There is a little icon at the bottom right corner ("+) This can be used to address multiple quotes in one post instead of making five seperate posts. Just sayin'
    AZ Hawk and Toorop like this.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    apvbguy,

There is a little icon at the bottom right corner ("+) This can be used to address multiple quotes in one post instead of making five seperate posts. Just sayin'
    thanks, maybe I'll learn how to use it

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    Styer vs Glock?

I own both pistols. Two Styer M-40, and two Glock 23... and a Glock 19.
    I agree that the Styer is Glock perfected. Contrary to popular belief there is an abundance of after market gadgets for them. Holsters are a bit scarce... but can be had. As far as Magazines?... I have six for each gun... my local gun store has plenty.
    While I own Glocks... I carry my styer.
    You do know that scarcity and abundance are polar opposites, yes?

What I'd love to know is this: how is a Steyr, "Glock perfected?" I've heard nothing from the Steyr owners that even remotely begins to convince me of this.

I continue to hear about how excellent the ergos are, and every argument made against a Glock always starts with the ergos. Been there, done that, and we've heard this same argument against Glock from nearly every gun owner who didn't buy a Glock.

My point is this: If you're going to convince me that Steyr is "Glock perfected," you're going to have to do much better than just claiming the ergonomics are superior.

A good place to start would be to show me Steyr pistols that still function flawlessly after 100,000 rounds and are reliable during a torture test.

Regards.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Massachusetts has VERY STRICT gun laws and all guns must be "Mass Compliant" to be sold from a dealer, which includes a minimum 10lb trigger pull and magazines can't exceed 10 rounds
    So I guess I'm confused then. Won't the Glock also have to have a 10lb trigger pull as well? Sounds to me like it's less of a gun problem than a lack of freedom problem! God Bless the still free States of America.
    kreinert6 likes this.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

What I'd love to know is this: how is a Steyr, "Glock perfected?" I've heard nothing from the Steyr owners that even remotely begins to convince me of this.

I continue to hear about how excellent the ergos are, and every argument made against a Glock always starts with the ergos. Been there, done that, and we've heard this same argument against Glock from nearly every gun owner who didn't buy a Glock.

My point is this: If you're going to convince me that Steyr is "Glock perfected," you're going to have to do much better than just claiming the ergonomics are superior.

A good place to start would be to show me Steyr pistols that still function flawlessly after 100,000 rounds and are reliable during a torture test.

Regards.
    I invited you and anyone one else who has an interest to visit the steyrclub site and read the comments from real steyr owners, I have one but I certainly don't have 100k rounds through it and I doubt anyone else does either however that isn't a valid yardstick. I am not here to convince you of anything, visit the site read the comments, good and bad, ask questions and learn for yourself if this is a weapon that you would consider owning.

Regards.
    OK I said after market products are abundant. Holsters are a bit scarce. Sorry but I dont understand why the insult. After market products is a lot more than holsters.

My staterment that IMO Styer is Glock perfected is just that. My opinion. Ergonomics is a big part of that. For me anyway. Understand that I'm not a Glock hater. In fact I carried a Glock 19 by choice, for many years as a police officer.
    Although I dont keep track of how many rounds I've put through my Styers... I can say that I've never experienced a problem.

It is further my opinion that the gen one, and gen two Glocks were the perfect Glocks. But then, thats just my opinion. A firearm is a very personal tool. I choose based on my own needs, my own physical characteristics, and my own opinion. I'm not knocking Glocks. I'm just stating my opinion... Just like everyone else here. So unless you have put a 100,000 rounds through a Glock personally...

(PS) I was present for the Glock tourture tests for the NYPD.

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    OK I said after market products are abundant. Holsters are a bit scarce. Sorry but I dont understand why the insult. After market products is a lot more than holsters.

My staterment that IMO Styer is Glock perfected is just that. My opinion. Ergonomics is a big part of that. For me anyway. Understand that I'm not a Glock hater. In fact I carried a Glock 19 by choice, for many years as a police officer.
    Although I dont keep track of how many rounds I've put through my Styers... I can say that I've never experienced a problem.

It is further my opinion that the gen one, and gen two Glocks were the perfect Glocks. But then, thats just my opinion. A firearm is a very personal tool. I choose based on my own needs, my own physical characteristics, and my own opinion. I'm not knocking Glocks. I'm just stating my opinion... Just like everyone else here. So unless you have put a 100,000 rounds through a Glock personally...

(PS) I was present for the Glock tourture tests for the NYPD.
    It wasn't an insult, it was sarcasm, although technically sarcasm can be construed as such.

I want to know how Steyr is "Glock perfected." How are Steyr firearms anything other than Glock copies with "improved" ergonomics like nearly every other polymer firearm on the market? Basically, how did you come to the conclusion that Steyr firearms are better than Glocks?

Also, why do I need to personally put 100,000 rounds through a Glock? I've seen enough testing done to know that it's very easily done if you have the time, money and dedication to do so. I've put 10,000 rounds through my three Glocks in 2011 alone, but I'm not out to break any round count records.

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    I invited you and anyone one else who has an interest to visit the steyrclub site and read the comments from real steyr owners, I have one but I certainly don't have 100k rounds through it and I doubt anyone else does either however that isn't a valid yardstick. I am not here to convince you of anything, visit the site read the comments, good and bad, ask questions and learn for yourself if this is a weapon that you would consider owning.
    Eh, I never go straight to the source for unbiased opinions. It's like going to GlockTalk to find out about Glocks, or to the Five-seveN forums to learn that the 5.7x28mm is the greatest thing ever made and is far superior to all other pistol calibers. (Joke).

Eh, I never go straight to the source for unbiased opinions. It's like going to GlockTalk to find out about Glocks, or to the Five-seveN forums to learn that the 5.7x28mm is the greatest thing ever made and is far superior to all other pistol calibers. (Joke).
    considering the fact that gun's designer is a forum participant and the manufacturer also is on the forum you are passing on a wealth of information. you can choose to remain ill informed or you can take steps to learn something, the choice is for you to make.

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    considering the fact that gun's designer is a forum participant and the manufacturer also is on the forum you are passing on a wealth of information. you can choose to remain ill informed or you can take steps to learn something, the choice is for you to make.
    Seriously...? A wealth of information on what? It's just another Glock copy that looks like a Hi-Point...

Steyr is a Steyr, a XD is a XD, M&P is a M&P, and a Sigma is a ______?

I don't understand why everyone tries to liken them to the Glock?

Glock is a Glock and there is no comparison!!

But its always fun to read the "Glock vs. (what next)" discussions.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links