9mm in 1911 platform?

This is a discussion on 9mm in 1911 platform? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm getting closer to getting my Aegis (4") out and am starting to second guess the 9mm in the 1911 platform. Does anyone have a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9mm in 1911 platform?

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar

9mm in 1911 platform?

I'm getting closer to getting my Aegis (4") out and am starting to second guess the 9mm in the 1911 platform. Does anyone have a 1911 in 9mm and how well does it work for you? I think I can shoot the 9mm better than the 45acp so thats why I went that route. Since i'm new to all this I know it is better to ask people who have more expierence than I. If the 9mm is a bad idea in the 1911 I did find a 1911 that is about $150.00 less (Sig Scorpion 4.25") and that would give me more money for practice ammo. I'll take all honest opinions on this 9mm or 45acp on the 1911 platform. If the 9mm will work thats great, if not then it's a 45acp instead. Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

I've got a Dan Wesson PM9 and a Springfield Loaded 9mm. They seem to be a bit more sensitive to timing issues - easily dealt with by replacing the recoil spring regularly.

Other than that, the only consistent issue I've had is with the slide locking open on an empty mag. I've run Checkmate, Metalform, Tripp and Wilson 10 rd. mags and all of them, in both guns, consistently fail to lock open on the last round. All of these mags have the spacer at the back as opposed to the groove in the front (Springfield style). I've thought about switching to the Springfield style mag, and or have an oversize slide stop fitted.

It's a very accurate platform, and it's ridiculously fun to shoot!

VIP Member
    Never shot a 1911 chambered in 9MM, but have handled the Dan Wesson Gaurdian. Felt good in the hand, about the same as my DW C-Bob, although a little lighter. I'd like te chance to shoot one to compare the 2. That being said, it's hard to beat the .45 ACP in a 1911.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

JD
    Administrator
    Here is a pretty good read on some 9mm 1911 info:

10-8 Performance: SA 9mm 1911

Not entirely sure about running 9mm in the 1911, though it has been done for some time and apparently successfully. It will depend on the individual model. I will say that I would not recommend getting a SIG 1911 based on my experiences with them. If you want a 9mm 1911 I believe Springfield makes them, and for 1911s in general you're better off going with them or a Colt.

I've shot another fellow's Colt Series 70 Government Model 9mm on an occasion and it was a very pleasant afternoon. Don't know what in the world I would want with a full sized Government Model 9mm but I've not been able to get that gun out of my mind ever since. Very nice, easy to shoot, and pleasingly accurate.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Here is a pretty good read on some 9mm 1911 info:

10-8 Performance: SA 9mm 1911
    Thanks JD

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It's the design of the 1911 that is so appealing, not necessarily the caliber. With minor adaptation for differences in recoil, a 1911 in any caliber should work fine. Apparently, it's worked fine in .45 ACP, 9mm, and .38 Super for some time. The .45 is simply overwhelming in its popularity.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Sounds like you want an EMP. :)

I'll 2nd the EMP if you want a compact 1911. The EMP features a 3" barrel and is about the same size as a Kimber Ultra or Colt Defender; however, the EMP is more pleasant to shoot and yes I've had the others too. The EMP was designed around the short cartridges like 9mm and 40 rather than being a chopped version of a bigger pistol. My EMP 9mm has 450+ rounds through it now (mostly HP) with but one malfunction.
    I ended up getting a EMP in 40 too and I'm glad I did! The 40 EMP has a steel frame, which really soaks up the recoil. The 40 cartridge is regarded by many as being snappy, recoil on par with 45 acp, but in the steel EMP the 40 was a perfect match (IMO). I put 100 rounds of HP through it yesterday in my first session with it and it was flawless.

I do prefer the 45 acp in full size, or Commander, 1911's.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Have a Kimber custom II and 2 Springfield Armory Loaded in 9mm. Very nice pistols and fuction just fine.
    " The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson

Wow thanks for the replies folks. I never thought it would be this hard trying to decide. After all the reading, research and other stuff this gets confusing and quick. For thoes who mentioned the EMP it is a nice looking gun I just wish it had a 4"barrel and a height of 5.25" but if it did it wouldn't be an EMP.

I wanted a 1911 with at least a 4.25" barrel but there are not many out there in that lenght that I like. Is it worse to have a gun that you don't have absolute confidence in (9mm 1911) even before buying it, or going with a larger caliber (45acp 1911) and spend extra time and money learning to shoot it as accurately as you can. My goal is to never find myself in a situation where I would need my firearm for self defense anyhow. With all that said I have found a steel 45acp with a 4" barrel it's the Kimber Raptor Pro. I'm not sure I like they way it disassymbles with the little tool thingy but I think I could get use to that.

I like the Sig Scorpion to with the 4.25" barrel which breaks down like a reg 1911 no tools required. I know Kimber has a great reputation and all they make are 1911's. I'm not sure how long Sig has been making 1911's but I know their other guns are of really good quality from what I read. While posting this i'm so on the fence about the 9mm i'm just gonna man up and go with the 45acp, i'll just spend the extra time and money and practice, practice, practice, and then practice some more.

I think the push of the 45acp just felt funny compared to the little snap of the 9mm. So done deal 45acp and no mind change. Now for the 1911 Mfg, the Kimber Raptor Pro is just over $1100.00 (all steel, 4" barrel) I found the Sig Scorpin for just over $900.00 (all steel and 4.25" barrel) the only difference to me is the way you take them apart. Honest opinions now, Kimber or Sig? This 1911 deal for me is a one time thing only since I will never have this kind of money to spend on a 1911 again. So guys which is it Kimber or Sig? Thanks and have a Happy Thanksgiving.

If we are talking about a gun for carry, I would take the kimber. (I have experience with both models)
    The sig is bulkier. Unless you need a light rail? I'm a big 1911 fan. And also a sig fan. But for some reason the scorpion didn't give me that warm and fuzzy feeling when I shot it. I have a buddy that has the raptor pro and it's a sweet shooter!

Don't count out officer sized 1911's. My kimber ultra covert is very very accurate.

JD
    Administrator
    Honestly, I don't think I'd go with either but if given the choice between Kimber and Sig....I'd go with the Sig they aren't that "bulkier" than any other 1911, the slide is a different profile on most of their 1911s, but that really doesn't translate into more bulk...

But, the Scorpion is a railed 1911, are you wanting the rail or not? If you're wanting the rail you might like the Springfield Champion Operator?

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Honestly, I don't think I'd go with either but if given the choice between Kimber and Sig....I'd go with the Sig they aren't that "bulkier" than any other 1911, the slide is a different profile on most of their 1911s, but that really doesn't translate into more bulk...

But, the Scorpion is a railed 1911, are you wanting the rail or not? If you're wanting the rail you might like the Springfield Champion Operator?
    PM sent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links