Recoil VS. New Rod/Spring

This is a discussion on Recoil VS. New Rod/Spring within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The Glock Store has SS and Tungsten rod/springs and I'm wondering if they do a lot of good as far as lowering recoil on my ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By JD
  • 1 Post By grouse
  • 1 Post By IAm_Not_Lost
  • 1 Post By biggie1981
  • 1 Post By 10thmtn

Thread: Recoil VS. New Rod/Spring

The Glock Store has SS and Tungsten rod/springs and I'm wondering if they do a lot of good as far as lowering recoil on my 26 and (Gen. 3) 19. What say you? The 19 isn't bad now and I think, maybe, a new rod will be a waste of money. Thanks.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

JD
    Administrator
    The tungsten rods may help, the stainless rods probably won't help reduce muzzle climb or felt recoil.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    A Tungsten rod might but I doubt if one could really tell enough difference to matter.
    Philly Boy likes this.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    If you want to reduce felt recoil buy the 20lb spring from glockstore.com. I have the SS guide rod for my 19 and there is no felt recoil difference, but then again that's not why I bought it, having a metal guide just seems more..."normal" to me, unfounded as that thought is.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Distinguished Member
    You could try one of these recoil buffers: Recoil Buffer Glock Pistols Polyurethane

Try googling around and see what people say about them. I've not used one yet myself.

the tungsten rod is 300% heavier than stock plastic, it will reduce muzzle flip but not felt recoil. The recoil buffer is just a piece of polyurethane that goes in between the guide rod and spring so the slide doesnt slap the frame as hard = useless unless you shoot 1000 rounds a day. i bought the s.s. rod just because i believe moving parts should be steel. either way you wanna keep a edc pistol light as possible...... hope that helped happy shooting
    Philly Boy likes this.
    Glock 23 Gen3-- Mepro Light Tru Glo night sights-Polished Internals-3.5 lb connector-6 lb trigger return spring Extended slide release lever-Stainless steel guide rod-Pierce grip plug
    Glock 26 gen3--
    Pierce +2 mag extension w/ finger groove

Distinguished Member
    What was the original reason Glock made the rod out of plastic, there must have been some logic there other than purely a cost savings?

I've been thinking about putting a ss one in my 19 but some little voice in the head says "don't mess with it, it's like that for a reason". I'd for sure like to put one in a 20sf that I am fiddling with for a woods gun.

(I'm talking about the guide rods not the r.c. buffer)

Glock made the plastic guide rod simply cause it works. Unless your shooting 1000 rounds back to back it will not fail. Glock has the reputation that they have because they have done the testing and research to make a high quality product at a very affordable cost.
    Glock 23 Gen3-- Mepro Light Tru Glo night sights-Polished Internals-3.5 lb connector-6 lb trigger return spring Extended slide release lever-Stainless steel guide rod-Pierce grip plug
    Glock 26 gen3--
    Pierce +2 mag extension w/ finger groove

Plastic? No thank you.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by cammo View Post
    What was the original reason Glock made the rod out of plastic, there must have been some logic there other than purely a cost savings?

I've been thinking about putting a ss one in my 19 but some little voice in the head says "don't mess with it, it's like that for a reason". I'd for sure like to put one in a 20sf that I am fiddling with for a woods gun.

(I'm talking about the guide rods not the r.c. buffer)
    Haha, that was my thought process as well. I thought, hey, tungsten or stainless steel must be better than plastic. Then I thought Glock must have made it plastic for a reason, so I left it alone.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    Haha, that was my thought process as well. I thought, hey, tungsten or stainless steel must be better than plastic. Then I thought Glock must have made it plastic for a reason, so I left it alone.
    I know right lol, but some ocd part of me needed that stainless steal version. I have put a lot of rounds through and have no problems whatsoever, and unlike the plastic one it doesn't get chewed up. The plastic one that was in it before was so tore up on the part that contacts the barrel that when I would take the gun apart to clean it it would pretty much pop out without me touching it. Again though, plastic or metal, my 19 has never failed, and both have had a lot of rounds through.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

I would guess Glock made it from plastic to reduce weight.
    FLMOPE likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I'd leave it alone, or just put the original back in it. I never thought the 9mm had enough recoil to begin with to start jacking stuff up.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I'd leave it alone, or just put the original back in it. I never thought the 9mm had enough recoil to begin with to start jacking stuff up.
    I agree.

I have seriously considering putting the tungsten rod and heavier spring in my Glock 23, but I don't shoot it very often, so I'm not all that worried about it.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

I shoot a lot and, therefore, went for the stronger, heavier rod in both my 19 & 26. Just MO.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Sponsored Links