41 Mag.

41 Mag.

This is a discussion on 41 Mag. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Ruger 41 Redhawk that I have had the barrel cut to 3.5 inches. I would like to know if anyone else has ...

Thread: 41 Mag.

41 Mag.

I have a Ruger 41 Redhawk that I have had the barrel cut to 3.5 inches. I would like to know if anyone else has any experince with a short barreled 41. Also thoughts on carrying a 41 Mag. Concealment isn't an issue since I am not a small person.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum drobison....feel free to say "hi" and introduce yourself on the New Members section.

I'd like to hear from others too about this too....I think the .41 Magnum, like the 10mm (of which I happily own a few), is a "cultist" favorite.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum.

I am a fan of the .41MAG, but only own one gun chambered for it, a 6-inch S&W 57. It is the handgun I take backpacking and hiking. I find that the caliber will handle everything but the biggest Grizzlies and Alaskan Browns (same thing I think). If I think I'll need anything bigger I take my .475Linebaugh.

The .41 Magnum is an excellent round for the outdoors, a great compromise between the .357MAG and the .44MAG, with better speed and penetration than the former, and better control than the latter. It was originally designed as a Law Enforcement round, but wasn't received well.

There is a big following of .41MAG enthusiasts over at sixgunner.com
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Assistant Administrator

Indeed a short barrel 41 mag is often regarded as about the ideal compromize for revo power - manageable but very effective. I have yet to aquire one but but would feel very well prepared with one on my belt
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Love to see the muzzle flash on THAT baby! Bet it looks like the "Dragon's Breath." What sort of grips absorb that sort of inevitable barrel whip?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Seems as it would make a great weapon for the bush with the larger hard cast. And for the street with some of the excellent HP loads(bullets). To me the .41 is a handloaders caliber unless you purchase some of the 1-2$ per shot stuff.

I almost broke my leg over a .41 some years ago. >>>

I owned a Ruger Blackhawk(3 screw) in that caliber.....got drunk and sold it.....and tried to kick myself in the A$$.

I killed 3 very large boar hogs on Ft. Ord with it. ---------

I have had a Blackhawk 4 5/8" .41 Mag for many years and have shot it a lot. I have killed several deer with it. Your gun being more than an inch shorter should still be a great weapon but like most .41 usually require some tailored handloads to get the best results.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    sounds sweet, I'd love to see some pics of that....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

.41 magnum CCW

I have two guns in .44 magnum, so I am familiar with the ballistics and feel of the .41 magnum, which is quite similar.

The Ruger Redhawk is a big gun, even with the barrel cut down to 3.5 inches. On the Ruger website they show it weighs 49 ounces with the 5.5 inch barrel, and that it is for "big game hunting" It is fairly thick through the cylinder. I would personally find it a little large for a CCW gun, heavy to carry and prone to overpenetrate the target. I think that .357 magnum is a better caliber choice for CCW and human threats, and it is available in much smaller guns in the 25 to 35 ounce range, such as the Ruger SP101 or GP100.

Thanks for the views and opinions

nothing like carring a big gun. the 41 mag is just a small step down from the 44 mag. all rules of the 44 mag are the same for the 41 mag.

drobinson,

Welcome to the forum. What part of Texas are you from????

I have two Stainless Redhawks in .41 mag and one Stainless Taurus 415 with a 2" ported barrel in .41mag. I carry the Taurus, it's a 5 shot, from time to time. I would have no problems carrying a shortened Redhawk, as a matter of fact I have been thinking of changing mine to resemble one I saw the other day. It is a .44mag that had been shortened to 4" and had the grip rounded on the bottom with custom grips. Here it is.
    Before:

and after:
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Links