is the Gen 4 Glock Spring issue blown out of proportion? - Page 2

is the Gen 4 Glock Spring issue blown out of proportion?

This is a discussion on is the Gen 4 Glock Spring issue blown out of proportion? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had the same issue with the Punta made S&Ws of the 80s, and the Colts of that time frame. It seems that every manufacture ...

View Poll Results: Haveyou shot a Glock Gen 4 and personally experienced reliability issues?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I have shot a Glock 4th gen and had reliability problems

12 17.91%
  • I 've shot a Glock 4th gen without problems

51 76.12%
  • I've shot a Glock 4th gen with problems but it was fixed by Glock

2 2.99%
  • I've shot a Glock 4th gen but after Glock's fix it still has issues

2 2.99%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: is the Gen 4 Glock Spring issue blown out of proportion?

I had the same issue with the Punta made S&Ws of the 80s, and the Colts of that time frame. It seems that every manufacture has it's dud years.
    Sometimes in the race of competition, product designs get ahead of themselves and unproven tweaks to otherwise great products get out there. Glock found there Bull Run with the Gen 4.

I believe they have gotten a grip on the problem, and are back.

Personally, if I would have ran the company, I would not have deviated from the Gen 2 design. Let the others make gadget mounting grooves on theirs, but I would have stayed with priorities on reliability.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Clay,

I loved Glock's too! I now just love the old ones. I believe mine was made at the end of July and many of the issues are the 9mm's not the .40's. I would not bs you as I have documented my issues and experience on other posts. I just don't have the heart and energy to go over it all again. I carried the Glock banner for a long time and I took this Gen 4 turd personally, and have had to eat a bit of crow to many friends and family.
    I understand not wanting to cover it all again, I'll check out your previous posts. After I get my G17 I'll do some serious testing on it. I suppose the reason I think its important to keep checking is because, as I mentioned earlier, I do believe that Glock will eventually fix the issues (that is if they haven't in there current production guns).

I hope that once they do get it fixed you'll be willing to forgive them for there past transgressions. I'll do my best to give a solid range report on the G17 when I get it. (hopefully to prove the reliability, but if I have issues I'll certainly post them up as well to help others).

Thanks,
    Clay

tts
    My Glock 19 Gen 4 is from Early 2011 and has had no reliability problems whatsoever. Replaced the spring under their recall program, though.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    .. many of the issues are the 9mm's not the .40's.
    Yeah... the THIRD generation .40s had the problems, they did the Gen 4 mods to fix that... and gooned up the 9mms. What a hoot.

I've never personally seen a G4 malfunction. Of the two people who've told me personally they've had issues, I have to question their grip, stance and overall technique...talke an extra stiff recoil spring and give it anything but a very stable firing platform and that may be contributing to this problem...it's just that these two have very little experience and are new to autos in general. What do you guys think? A possibility?

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Yes, I have shot a Glock 4th gen and had reliability problems, but no longer have any issues with it.
    Is this because you did the Glock spring exchange program, used different ammo, changed your grip, or because the gun just needed to be broken in?
    If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

Clay,

I'm looking forward to your report on the Glock 17 gen 4. I own & carry a Glock 26 gen 4, but I would also like to own a 17 gen 4. Please keep us posted.
    If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

I have had a Gen4 Glock 22 for just over 2 months now and have put 1600 rounds through it in that time. I have had one FTE that I felt was due to the ammo I was using. My wife has had a Gen4 Glock 23 for about a month with 350 rounds through it and no FTF/FTE. Both guns were fired with the original springs and the replacement springs sent by Glock. However, as C Hawk pointed out, most of the problems reported have been with 9mms. I know from his previous posts that his experience with Gen4's was very negative.

These two Glocks are the only ones I've ever owned, so I can't speak to previous generations. I'm no Glock fan boy, but I can tell you that I've been happy with mine, and am considering adding the Gen4 Glock 17 and 19 to the fold. If I do, and I have any issues with them, I'll be sure and make a post. In the mean time, my recommendation is to give them a try. Despite the problems, the Glocks still hold their resale value so you're not likely to take a substantial monetary hit if you decide it's not for you.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by rabbit2011 View Post
    Is this because you did the Glock spring exchange program, used different ammo, changed your grip, or because the gun just needed to be broken in?
    I did do the Glock spring exchange, seemed to take care of the problems, but I went ahead and changed the recoil spring assembly to that of the Gen3. GEN4 Recoil Assembly Adapter Ring
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    My local gun store originally - right away returned all G19s gen 4, the springs were replaced by Glock, when they were back in the store I bought one and the gun has been flawless. I think the G19 is the best pistol out there - any generation.

Any Glock made after June 2011 has all the bugs fixed ! No problem whatsoever from mine.

Outlaw Guns and Only Outlaws Will Have Guns !!

I bought a Glock 19 Gen 4 about 2 months ago. I have over 1,000 rounds through it and the only time it malfunctioned was when my cousin was shooting it, and he is a first time shooter and was not gripping the gun very well (limp wristing). For me it has been flawless.
    Fear the man with one gun. Especially if that gun is a Glock 19.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cthruit View Post
    I've never personally seen a G4 malfunction. Of the two people who've told me personally they've had issues, I have to question their grip, stance and overall technique...talke an extra stiff recoil spring and give it anything but a very stable firing platform and that may be contributing to this problem...it's just that these two have very little experience and are new to autos in general. What do you guys think? A possibility?
    Good boy! You have drank the right amount of Koolaid and have refereed to the Glock fanboy manual. The first rule for Glock malfunctions is to always blame the shooter, if that does not work please proceed to blaming the ammo. LOL...

All kidding aside, there are serious issues besides the springs. They have changed extractors and ejectors as well. Mine had a nasty habit of shooting brass at my forehead when it was not stove piping. I honestly believe that there a thousands of Glocks spitting brass the same way, but new shooters might not even realize it if wearing a cap and safety glasses. The ejections are so weak that they don't smack your face and forehead with any real authority.

I have been waiting for Glock to do the right thing and be honest about the other issues with a formal recall. They indeed replaced the extractor and ejector on mine when it got sent back.

From Glock Talk
    Ejector Fix :: Ejector Vid video by SGTDuffman - Photobucket
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Yeah thinking of this as a spring issue kind of misses a big part of the picture. Glock has produced a new ejector which is going into the recent production Gen 4s. There are some who believe the problem stems from the way the slide is cut, or the current generation of extractors.

I don't think this problem has been misrepresented. Reading individual complaints of problems doesn't mean we are expected to believe that "all" the guns have problems. At the same time it's pretty obvious that enough are having problems that Glock has been trying various ways of getting a band-aid on the problem. Early word is that the new ejector is doing the trick, I hope so.

Now that leaves the scattering of owners of Gen 3 Glocks with similar problems, who don't get the new ejector put in when their guns go back. They're all holding their breath for when it's gonna be their turn.

I love my Gen 3 G26 and very much hope the erratic ejection I've experienced doesn't presage worse.

I had problems at first with my Gen4 19, but I cannot rule out that it wasn't the ammo combined with my poor technique. I hadn't been shooting in a few years and wasn't gripping as firm as I should have. After that first 100 round box I have had no problems. Yesterday I let my wife shoot it and in 150 rounds she wound up getting one stovepipe. She's a novice and was definitely limp-wristing so I am hoping that was the issue.

Overall I've had 700 rounds through mine, three stovepipes in the very beginning and one yesterday with the wife. I feel comfortable now, but if I get one or two malfunctions at this point I will be concerned and probably exchange the spring.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links