is the Gen 4 Glock Spring issue blown out of proportion?

This is a discussion on is the Gen 4 Glock Spring issue blown out of proportion? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm sure you all know how rumors on the internet can spread like wild fire. I'm just curious how many of you have seen FIRST ...

View Poll Results: Haveyou shot a Glock Gen 4 and personally experienced reliability issues?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I have shot a Glock 4th gen and had reliability problems

12 17.91%
  • I 've shot a Glock 4th gen without problems

51 76.12%
  • I've shot a Glock 4th gen with problems but it was fixed by Glock

2 2.99%
  • I've shot a Glock 4th gen but after Glock's fix it still has issues

2 2.99%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: is the Gen 4 Glock Spring issue blown out of proportion?

Sponsor

is the Gen 4 Glock Spring issue blown out of proportion?

I'm sure you all know how rumors on the internet can spread like wild fire. I'm just curious how many of you have seen FIRST hand problems with a Glock 4th gen due to the spring. I'm not saying it wasn't a problem, but usually I hear "Oh, I've heard the gen 4's suck so I won't buy one." Its pretty rare for me to hear about someone with first hand experience having issues with the 4th gen.

Thanks,
    Clay

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    We did (have problems) with ours, it was one of the earlier 4th Gen 19s. If it wasn't an issue, I don't think Glock would be on their third or fourth spring assy. for the G19.

At the time, Glock was ignoring/denying the problem so we went with an aftermarket kit from Glockmeister that they put together to address the issue and that solved our problems.

OD*
    Yes, I have shot a Glock 4th gen and had reliability problems, but no longer have any issues with it.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    Issue-free with both spring assemblies.

I have a G27 and G23 GEN4 and have had no issues with them. I don't know when they were produced so maybe the ones I bought came out after the initial problems. I have no reservation buying GEN4 pistols.

G26 gen 4, no issues. Would have no problem buying other gen 4 models even though I own other Glock models.

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    Easilly one of my favorite guns.

My wife bought a G19 Gen4 back in August. She had fired roughly 750 rounds of various bulk 115gr ammo through it with the stock spring and had approx six malfunctions (stove pipe). It has run my 124gr handloads flawlessly and 124gr & 147gr Hydra-Shocks without any problems. Glock sent her a new spring and it has had only one malfunction with bulk 115gr since (maybe 300 rounds on the new spring). I wouldn't be afraid of the Gen4's at all.

VIP Member
    YES Gen 4's do have problems!! I had two recoil springs, an ejector and extractor replaced by Glock. Fanboys are trying to unite and do damage control to act like there are not issues. The issues are true. By the way, once it came back from Glock with a work order it was gone..... I will let others be lab rats......
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I tried a friends gen 4 g23 last weekend. It was flawless. It is a stock gun, so they must have resolved the issues. I'm going to Buds tomorrow and pick up one. With my LE discount Glock gives it will set me back a whopping 399.00.
    Guest1 likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    YES Gen 4's do have problems!! I had two recoil springs, an ejector and extractor replaced by Glock. Fanboys are trying to unite and do damage control to act like there are not issues. The issues are true. By the way, once it came back from Glock with a work order it was gone..... I will let others be lab rats......
    When did you purchase yours? Just curious because because there are a large number of people who have not experienced problems and I'm wondering if it can be attributed to Glocks more recent changes to the guide rod assembly.

I love Glocks, so part of me is secretly rooting the gen 4's on hoping that they will work flawlessly because I love the grip and larger mag release. (Sadly this has not been the case as I shot a Gen 4 Glock 23 yesterday and personally experienced 2 FTF's in about 100 rounds) . However that being said I'm still going to pick up a gen 4 Glock 17. Why? Because I like the grip and mag release, I will not be using it (at least initially) as a defensive weapon, and finally because I feel that if I do have issues, Glock will provide a fix for it (eventually).

I posted the poll primarily to level the playing field between those who have had issues and are vocal about it verses those that don't have issues and just aren't as vocal. Reading forums would have you believe that every gen 4 that comes off the line is trash, when it seems that the majority of people have a good experience with theirs. (I'm not saying they have the reliability of the gen 3's, but that maybe its not properly represented)

Thanks for your feedback!
    Clay

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I tried a friends gen 4 g23 last weekend. It was flawless. It is a stock gun, so they must have resolved the issues. I'm going to Buds tomorrow and pick up one. With my LE discount Glock gives it will set me back a whopping 399.00.
    Thats a sweet price, do they offer a military discount?

Quote Originally Posted by SHTFGearLLC View Post
    Thats a sweet price, do they offer a military discount?
    At one time it was for all Public safety, military and security. Indont know about now. Bus Gun Shop in Lexington has an LE sales section, so I don't know if it's Glock or Buds. But they do have other brands on the LE sales desk also.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Sponsor
    I just did a bit of research and it looks like they do indeed offer discounts to military. Excellent news just in time for my next purchase! Just waiting for my XDm to sell.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHTFGearLLC View Post
    When did you purchase yours? Just curious because because there are a large number of people who have not experienced problems and I'm wondering if it can be attributed to Glocks more recent changes to the guide rod assembly.

I love Glocks, so part of me is secretly rooting the gen 4's on hoping that they will work flawlessly because I love the grip and larger mag release. (Sadly this has not been the case as I shot a Gen 4 Glock 23 yesterday and personally experienced 2 FTF's in about 100 rounds) . However that being said I'm still going to pick up a gen 4 Glock 17. Why? Because I like the grip and mag release, I will not be using it (at least initially) as a defensive weapon, and finally because I feel that if I do have issues, Glock will provide a fix for it (eventually).

I posted the poll primarily to level the playing field between those who have had issues and are vocal about it verses those that don't have issues and just aren't as vocal. Reading forums would have you believe that every gen 4 that comes off the line is trash, when it seems that the majority of people have a good experience with theirs. (I'm not saying they have the reliability of the gen 3's, but that maybe its not properly represented)

Thanks for your feedback!
    Clay
    Clay,

I loved Glock's too! I now just love the old ones. I believe mine was made at the end of July and many of the issues are the 9mm's not the .40's. I would not bs you as I have documented my issues and experience on other posts. I just don't have the heart and energy to go over it all again. I carried the Glock banner for a long time and I took this Gen 4 turd personally, and have had to eat a bit of crow to many friends and family.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links