Decision help please. .45acp compact: XD v XDm

This is a discussion on Decision help please. .45acp compact: XD v XDm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I could use some help with deciding between purchasing an XD 4" compact or the new XDm 3.8 compact in .45acp. I just sold ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decision help please. .45acp compact: XD v XDm

Decision help please. .45acp compact: XD v XDm

Hi, I could use some help with deciding between purchasing an XD 4" compact or the new XDm 3.8 compact in .45acp.
    I just sold my XD9 sub-compact to my daughter so I'm wanting to replace it, as it was in my rotation of EDC guns.
    Part of the reason for selling it is she needed a good deal on a handgun, she liked mine and I want to change over to .45acp anyway. (she got a heck of a deal, BTW)

My quandary is spending the extra 200.00 on the XDm. I can pick up an XD45 compact with 4 inch barrel and 10rd grip for 459.00
    The new XDm45 3.8 compact is selling for right about 200 more. The barrel is .2 inches shorter, the grip .45 inch shorter.
    Both take standard 13rd magazines with mag extension.
    The sights and grip texture are better on the XDm. The trigger and barrel are supposedly better.

I know in my heart I want the XDm.
    Money-wise it is more prudent to get the XD for ALMOST the same gun.

So.......who can help sell me on the XDm or make my decision easier on one or the other?
    In the mean-time I'll be carrying one or the other of my 1911's but I want the polymer gun for being higher capacity and more conducive to summertime/rough-duty/sweat/dings and scratches wear.

Anyone?
    Ruger MkII, Kel Tek P3AT, Hi Point JH45, SA XDm9, SA XD9sc, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded Micro
    Life is fragile and is what we make it. Keep dear to your heart that of your loved ones and fellow man and by God don't try to take it from me or my loved one's.

2. Remove Ads

Advantage of the XDM is the trigger and upgraded barrel. In reality, how much better will it shoot for your skill and style.

Being a carry gun you have to decide if it's worth the premium. How does each feel to carry, shoot and aim. That's what is most important.

The XDM includes some extras like a holster and magazine holster that are idiotically designed so those are out.

In my opinion, get what feels best to shoot.

Lifetime NRA Member
    NRA, Lifetime Member

One advantage the XDM also has is that it is not necessary to pull the trigger when field stripping it. Another is the swappable backstraps.

Save for the XDM. It is easier to save $200 more right now than to buy an XDM later after having bought another. I would want the better quality barrel and trigger, even though I liked a friend's XD9sc that I shot last year.

Even though the XD is a fine weapon too, just get the XDM and be happy with it. God Bless

XDm. You will be happier. I surely like mine.

I have 2 XDM full size in 9 and 40. The grip and interchangeable backstraps along with the other upgrades sold me. There was no XDM 45 at the time and CC was not even on the radar otherwise I would have gone with the XDM compact.

Thanks to you all. That's a good point about saving for the XDm as opposed to spending a chunk now then trying to come up with another chunk for the XDm. Actually, you all have valid points.
    Besides, I have another gun (SU-16c) on my wishlist that I will be saving for. LOL

I have the XDm9 4.5 and until recently the XD9sc. Both triggers very nice with the XDm having a bit of an edge over the sub compact. The XDm9 is extremely accurate as it's my go-to gun for 50m shots at the range at 4" clay targets. It's just a little large for EDC for me.

Do ya think the 3.8 inch barrel will diminish the accuracy/muzzle velocity an appreciable amount?
    Ruger MkII, Kel Tek P3AT, Hi Point JH45, SA XDm9, SA XD9sc, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded Micro
    Life is fragile and is what we make it. Keep dear to your heart that of your loved ones and fellow man and by God don't try to take it from me or my loved one's.

Maybe this will help. This would be my choice.

hickok45's Channel - YouTube
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Quote Originally Posted by resqr9142 View Post
    Do ya think the 3.8 inch barrel will diminish the accuracy/muzzle velocity an appreciable amount?
    Nope

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    Maybe this will help. This would be my choice.

hickok45's Channel - YouTube
    Yeah, saw the vid this morning. Hickok's my hero. Cool and knowledgable guy without trying.

I would like to try out a XDm 45 compact. Looks like it would be a good carry gun.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Quote Originally Posted by TWO GUNS View Post
    I would like to try out a XDm 45 compact. Looks like it would be a good carry gun.
    Yeah, I've been watching for this to be released for well over a year. Ever since the first 3.8's came out. Soon as I find one and make it mine, I'll let you know how it does.

How about the Ruger KP345PR? Probably $100+cheaper and more accurate. Only holds 8 rounds, but that stuff gets real heavy in .45 anyway.
    Ruger P345 KP345PR .45 ACP

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by resqr9142 View Post
    Between the "4-inch" XD and the "3.8-inch" XDm.....

Muzzle velocity? Quantitatively, I honestly don't know. But versus the full-size? definitely - but then again, I don't think you're asking that question.

As for accuracy? I doubt that it would be an issue, off-hand. Benched in a rest? maybe, but with a human shooter behind the barrel, I think it's going to take a professional-level shooter to be able to extract that difference, if there's any to be had. Alternatively, a good enough shooter may be able to discern the difference at longer ranges, slow-fire...but again, how much that small difference in barrel length may or may not be offset by the supposedly "match" barrel in the XDm versus its XD sister would also spark debate.

In-truth, I'd just get whichever one fits your hands better. To some (like me), there feels to be very little difference between the standard XD line and the XDm line. The reason why I gravitated towards the XD/XDm was because of its grip angle and overall ergonomics, which suited me better than the Glock and M&P, respectively. Between the XD and XDm, my preference is for the XDm due only to the grip texture of the latter: I gladly paid more, three times over, for this preference.

And I think that's the catch - do you pay now, or pay later?

While I don't think that you'd regret the purchase of a standard XD, I think that if you already like the grip texture and sights on the XDm better, you'd very well likely have your gun modified some time down the line, so, perhaps, that is a good reason for getting the XDm right off the bat.

But therein also lies a potential problem.....

Will you also seek to do the same, at some point, with the XDm? For example, if you know you wanted night-sights to begin with, then the extra cost in seeking out the XDm, initially, may actually be more of a liability than a benefit.

It's hard to say what's right or what's wrong: you'll have to make the decision, based on some honest question-and-answer sessions with yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links