I don't want an LCP again, help me out please.

This is a discussion on I don't want an LCP again, help me out please. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had an LCP a while back and sold it because there was just something about it I didn't care for. I did love the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: I don't want an LCP again, help me out please.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar

I had an LCP a while back and sold it because there was just something about it I didn't care for. I did love the size however, which is something I find I'm missing.

Now I'm thinking Bodyguard, but open to other suggestions as well. Less money is better, looking in the $200-$350 range I think.

LCP isn't out of the question for its intended purpose but I'd rather avoid it if possible. I think if I leaned that way I'd just get the cheaper and uglier, but just as reliable, Keltec P3AT.

Why not forget the pocket pistol jammers and get a S&W J-frame? Or a Ruger LCR.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Good point, maybe I need to give my 642 a chance in the pocket before getting something I probably won't like anyway.

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    Right at the top of your $350 limit you can get a Diamondback DB9 9mm which is just a tad larger than the LCP and just about the same size and weight as the S&W BG380. It also does not have a slide stop and does not hold open on the last round. It is also the smallest, slimmest, and lightest 9mm out right now. My Diamondback DB9 weighs empty 11 ounces and fully loaded 6+1 rounds of 115gr JHP weighs in at 15.7ounces. If you get a DB9, be prepared as this gun can be very finicky with ammo and if you are recoil sensitive or easily limp wrist when shooting, it will malfunction. I have both the BG380 and the DB9 and when I have friends try to shoot either, and they are not used to shooting small pistols they easily limp wrist them both and have some malfunctions like stove piping, etc. Yet when they give it back to me I have no problems. God Bless

Along the same lines as the Diamondback DB9, you should also check out the Kahr CM9. Bud's Gun Shop has it listed for $386, which is just a few dollars more than you wanted to spend. It will be a little bigger than a 380 of course, but you can still pocket carry if you want to.

Here's a couple good reviews of the Kahr CM9.

Kahr CM9 Review | Monderno
    Kahr CM9 9mm Pocket Pistol

I have the PM9 and MK9 already.

if you are looking to add another .380, then without question: Smith & Wesson Bodyguard. Played with one at my local GS, and was very impressed with the quality of the little guy. For the extra bucks over the LCP or 3AT, you get a whole lot more gun.

Am patiently waiting for Smith to bring it out in 9mm.
    IndyCCW likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Perhaps you'd like to go retro and pick up a nice, clean, pinned barrel Smith & Wesson Model 36 or Model 49. Or, perhaps try a Colt Detective Special. There's no shame in acquiring "pre-owned" handguns when they are classics and sturdy and useful.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

tts
    Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    Why not forget the pocket pistol jammers and get a S&W J-frame? Or a Ruger LCR.
    +1 on the J-Frame. I pocket carry my 442 (DeSantis Nemesis Holster) and wouldn't trade it for anything else.

I don't like the super long trigger on the Bodyguard + the laser is one more thing to fail. Having a revolver as your last ditch gun has very little that can go wrong. That and it can be fired from a pocket (442/642).
    Last edited by tts; November 26th, 2011 at 10:52 PM.
    Rockymonster likes this.

Lots of folks hate Taurus. Not me. TCP 738 is my choice. Mine's been great. It's just a wee bit bigger than the LCP and fit my hand better. Slide locks open on last round. No safety and it comes with 2 mags.
    Question Everything!

I carry the 642 more than any other gun including the PM9 or SR9C, you can see in the picture the "clip-draw" and I carry it AIWB and sometimes in the pocket.

tts
    Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    I carry the 642 more than any other gun including the PM9 or SR9C, you can see in the picture the "clip-draw" and I carry it AIWB and sometimes in the pocket.
    Never thought about a Clip-Draw for it. It's definitely light enough that I would trust it. Had one for my Glock -- would not recommend it for that.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    You should look at the Bersa.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    if you are looking to add another .380, then without question: Smith & Wesson Bodyguard. Played with one at my local GS, and was very impressed with the quality of the little guy. For the extra bucks over the LCP or 3AT, you get a whole lot more gun.

Am patiently waiting for Smith to bring it out in 9mm.
    I second that. I purchased a Bodyguard 380 about 6 months ago and I'm quite pleased. For the money, it's a very good gun.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com
    Suarez International Instructor

eb
    My wife and I both have Taurus 738 TCPs. Neither has ever malfunctioned, and for mini 380s they don't shoot bad at all. I prefer to carry 45, so my TCP rarely gets used unless I need deep concealment. My wife carries hers at work all the time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links