1911 failure to extract what to check

This is a discussion on 1911 failure to extract what to check within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I purchased a used Kimber Ultra Eclipse II and so far have been disappointed in reliability I had a couple failure to feeds the first ...

Like Tree18Likes
  • 4 Post By Tally XD
  • 3 Post By msgt/ret
  • 3 Post By dV8r
  • 1 Post By 1911er
  • 2 Post By OD*
  • 3 Post By deadguy
  • 2 Post By OD*

Thread: 1911 failure to extract what to check

1911 failure to extract what to check

I purchased a used Kimber Ultra Eclipse II and so far have been disappointed in reliability
    I had a couple failure to feeds the first 100 rounds of ball ammo I ran but that has not been a problem after a good cleaning.
    Now in testing hollow point rounds I have had 6 FTE'S in about 150 rounds. I have not been trying any ball lately since I am experimenting
    with the SD rounds but I would think that I would have the same problem since it is not a feeding issue.

Cases do not get pulled out of chamber. Of course then it tries to feed another round and can not. This is not a quick malfunction to clear
    have to lock slide back then drop magazine and tilt gun up so case falls out then can reload.

Any suggestions on how to determine problem would be appreciated. Don't bother suggesting that I switch to a Glock or M&P I would like
    to have one of those but would never abandon my 1911's. My full size Kimber custom eclipse has been flawless.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Failure to extract or failure to eject? I would look at the case rim, check extractor marks and the check the extractor itself.
    OD*, Aceoky, manolito and 1 others like this.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    Failure to extract or failure to eject? I would look at the case rim, check extractor marks and the check the extractor itself.
    Good starting point, also check to insure there are no burs around the chamber, not likely but with a used firearm you never know.
    OD*, Aceoky and manolito like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

With a used gun
    ** First thing is change all the springs with new.
    ** Clean and lube it real good.
    ** Check tension on the extractor.
    ** Verify that the ejector is not loose.
    jem102, Fitch and msgt/ret like this.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

I would be leaning toward the extractor,look at the extractor claw,is it okay,or has the claw chipped or been broken off,if you can tip the gun up and the case drops out easily,and the claw is good,then it sounds like the extractor does not have enough tansion to grip the case rim without sliding off on the extraction.
    The extractor may be doing what is called "clocking" instead of grabbing the case rim strait on the extractor may be tilted so it is only grabbing the case with one corner of the extractor which can lead to the extractor slipping off the case
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Is this an internal or external extractor? If internal, add enough tension to hold a loaded round against the breech face so that it takes a fairly good shake to dislodge it. I don't know jack about the external extractors other than they were so problematic Kimber dropped them after a few years. From what little I know they are a replacement item.
    The fastest way I know to check for clocking is to examine the fired cases. If the pin strikes are moving around a lot it's clocking. If they stay in the same spot and are reasonably centered you should be OK. The fix here is to install an over sized firing pin stop.

It sounds like a failure to eject to me. Be sure the ejector is tight in the frame as already mentioned and that nobody has done a hack job on it.
    Most failures to eject, IMHO, come from weak mag springs and/or bad followers. The spring can't keep enough up pressure on the next round keeping the spent case up and in line with the ejector to get kicked out and to drive it under the claw. So the extractor simply hangs on to the empty, overrides the next round (or tries to double feed) and returns it to battery.
    I am surprised you have not had failure to lock back after the last round, another sign of a weak spring.
    Replace the spring and/or follower (on the follower get the kind that have a raised nub to control inertia feeds). Try a mag from another gun that works well (I am not very partial to Kimber mags). After years of messing with tuning different mags "I" found the simple solution...use nothing but Tripp Cobras.

I ain't no 1911 smiff but these are a few of the things I have learned, hope they are of some help.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

1911 FTE Problem

Quote Originally Posted by Ducmonster View Post
    I purchased a used Kimber Ultra Eclipse II and so far have been disappointed in reliability
    I had a couple failure to feeds the first 100 rounds of ball ammo I ran but that has not been a problem after a good cleaning.
    Now in testing hollow point rounds I have had 6 FTE'S in about 150 rounds. I have not been trying any ball lately since I am experimenting
    with the SD rounds but I would think that I would have the same problem since it is not a feeding issue.

Cases do not get pulled out of chamber. Of course then it tries to feed another round and can not. This is not a quick malfunction to clear
    have to lock slide back then drop magazine and tilt gun up so case falls out then can reload.

Any suggestions on how to determine problem would be appreciated. Don't bother suggesting that I switch to a Glock or M&P I would like
    to have one of those but would never abandon my 1911's. My full size Kimber custom eclipse has been flawless.
    I have seen this exact problem. I have several 1911's that developed a FTE after 300 or more rounds. The fired case would be 1/4" or so out of the chamber blocking the next round from feeding. I understand this can have more than 1 cause but in my case, it was the following: The extractor was not holding on to the fired case properly to pull it out. The culprit was a build up of powder residue between the extractor and frame. Don't be fooled, even know the extractor seems to function properly, this build up will cause intermittant FTE and will get worse. The extractor needs to be removed to see and clean the buildup. With an external extractor, remove the slide, barrel and spring. A punch will be necessary to drive the extractor pin down (or up) out of the frame. You will now be supprised at how much sticky powder residue is there.

Does it fire & ejector okay with the magazine removed? (Insert full mag, rack the slide to put into battery, engage thumb safety, remove mag, dis-engage thumb safety, point at target & shoot. Repeat 20 times.)

Obviously on an empty firearm, stick your finger against the ejector. Try to wiggle it back and forth. Is there any play? Does it look like it's in one piece? (Kimber may not use a pinned ejector. idkfs. I think the SA EMP doesn't, either, preferring to use Loctite to secure it.)
    StormRhydr likes this.

Ejector:

(Many times he says, "extractor," when he should have said, "ejector".)

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducmonster View Post

Would really need to know if they are failures to extract or failures to eject? Two different problems, with different procedures.
    bmcgilvray and Aceoky like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

I've never owned or shot a 1911, so this may be totally irrelevant to your situation. But I had the exact same problem as you describe with my G34 at my last IDPA match, it was caused by a bad magazine.

Sara Lou
    Just because i'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me....

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Hopefully the OP found the problem after 2.5 years
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

I believe the Kimber owners manual says to fire either 400 or 500 rounds to break the gun in.

I had a couple of hic cups in my first 100 rounds - never a problem since then.

Kimbers are built to very tight tolerances.

I believe you'll love the gun.

If you continue to have problems - send it to Kimber - I hear that they have great customer service.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    Hopefully the OP found the problem after 2.5 years
    LOL!!

I hadn't even noticed, good catch, Dead.
    Last edited by OD*; May 4th, 2014 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Spellun'
    deadguy and Rock and Glock like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Links