.50GI DA/SA Pistols

This is a discussion on .50GI DA/SA Pistols within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello Everyone, I am searching for a source of da/sa .50gi pistols or a gunsmith and or shop that can convert an existing da/sa pistol ...

Thread: .50GI DA/SA Pistols

.50GI DA/SA Pistols

Hello Everyone,

I am searching for a source of da/sa .50gi pistols or a gunsmith and or shop that can convert an existing da/sa pistol to the .50GI round. The inventor of the .50gi, Guncrafters Industries, offers the .50gi in 3 1911 style pistols and a conversion kit for several Glocks. They do not offer a da/sa pistol in the .50gi.

Does anyone know of a source of da/sa 50gi pistols? Does anyone know of a gunsmith or shop that can convert an existing da/sa pistol to the .50gi or that can create a da/sa pistol for the 50gi? Does anyone know of a gunsmith or shop that can still perform the Seecamp double action conversion to the 1911? Thanks for any info.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    No, I haven't seen anyone doing a DA/SA gun conversion to .50GI.

I don't know where you'd find a Seecamp DA kit these days, they've been out of production for decades. Even if you did there's always the 20lb DA trigger pull to contend with.
    Perhaps you can fit a 50GI kit to a PARA LDA, that's probably about as close as you'll get to what you want.

I have to ask, what's wrong with the .50GI 1911 as it is?
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Thanks for your comments.

There are a few kits still floating around out there on the Seecamp forum. But, I would prefer to modify an existing da/sa pistol or have one created before having kit installed on one of Guncrafters Commanders.

The Para LDA is like a double action only pistol. Not for me.

The Guncrafters 1911s are works of art. I want their Commander model. However, when not in carry mode, I wish to leave the 50gi pistol at home ready for use by untrained spouse (more training is not an option). Therefore, I need the pistol to have the option of a double action first shot like our home handguns, the Ruger GP 100 and Ruger SP101. We have Glocks and do not prefer them, therefore the 50gi Glock conversion kit is not an option. A 50gi Sig Sauer P220 Carry and a 50gi P220 Compact would fit our needs.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    why is the 50GI such a need, with such a big round overpenetration is gonna be massive
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

What makes you think your wife is going to want to shoot the .50, especially if she's not trained or comfortable with the 1911 platform? The recoil is going to be ridiculous, especially in something lighter like a SIG. Do you really think she's going to want to shoot that when she has more manageable options available?

Also, don't tell her what you want for her, let her choose the gun she's comfortable with. I carry .45acp 1911s on and off duty and have handguns in calibers ranging up to .50AE. You know what my wife's favorite gun is? A S&W 317 8 shot .22lr. She's comfortable with it, she likes to shoot it, and she'll actually carry it instead of complaining about size/weight/recoil/action and leaving it home. Would I rather she carried something more powerful? Of course I would but trying to force her to do something she's not comfortable with is pointless.

Given your reasoning, I'd rethink your plan before you drop a ton of money on something that may not fit your needs. Or just say you want it for yourself, which is probably the case, and call it good.

Lastly, if you're dead set on a .50GI 1911 and expect your wife to shoot it, look at the PARA LDA like I said before. The trigger pull is light and smooth, very manageable and consistent. Just pick it up, point and shoot.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Can't anyone buy a gun in whatever caliber they want without having popular opinion justification anymore? If the man wants a .50GI, he wants a .50 GI.
    Last edited by OldVet; November 28th, 2011 at 06:27 PM.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Can't anyone buy a gun in whatever caliber they want without having popular opinion justification anymore? If the man wants a .50GI, he wants a .50 GI.
    You're right.
    Of course, being a public forum opinions and advice (good or bad) come with the territory, whether you ask for them or not.

Thanks for everyones comments.

The 50gi is a lower velocity round like the 45acp. Its really just a 45 on steriods. Therefore I am not concerned with over penetration. Recoil is the same or only slightly more than a 45acp and less than a 10mm. I want it for maximum punch...and the muzzle end looks like a cave.

My plan is to have all accessible handguns including revolvers and pistols, to have a double action first shot, so that if my wife ever has to reach for a gun in self defense, she only needs to grip it, point it and pull the trigger.

My wife shoots with me from time to time. She has fired my Colts, Berettas, Browning, Glock, S&Ws, Rugers, and Sig Sauers. She prefers the Ruger revolvers above all. Of the pistols, she only liked the all steel 1911s, but did not like flipping a safety before firing and she did not like the ideal of racking the slide before firing. She likes the double action first shot. I prefer 1911s and Sig Sauers.

I want to change from a 45acp to the 50gi in a medium and compact pistols. They will be accessible when at home. Therefore, the need for a double action first shot.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    How about the 400 corbon. Tops the 50gi for energy by far and is not much harder on recoil than the 45+P. More like a +P40. Barrels could be had for a some strick fired pistol that may fit your ladys hand way better and lighter like an xd or glock with a grip reduction . barrels in stock at dragon fire for those and at lone wolf for glock. just Or aheavy trigged 1911 after all safety on as still safe.

Thanks for the ideal. However, I want the .50 diameter. See link for 50gi round Guncrafter Industries : 50GI Cartridge

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    See I Bruce Gray can turn a Sig P220 into one for you. I know he made a few 10mm Sig P220s. He is a nice guy and you can email him to find out.

That site carries a Glock conversion for a 20/21. Only $600.

I dunno. At one point bigger doesn't seem better.

Links