Am I doing anything wrong by dryfiring my m&p compact to dissassmble it?

This is a discussion on Am I doing anything wrong by dryfiring my m&p compact to dissassmble it? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was breaking down my new m&p 9c and when i was bringing the slide forward it stopped so I pulled the trigger and it ...

Thread: Am I doing anything wrong by dryfiring my m&p compact to dissassmble it?

Am I doing anything wrong by dryfiring my m&p compact to dissassmble it?

I was breaking down my new m&p 9c and when i was bringing the slide forward it stopped so I pulled the trigger and it came off. I see in the manual it says to use a tool to push down on the sear deactivation lever but does dryfiring it instead cause any harm?

2. Remove Ads

I don't think it will necessarily harm the gun. But, the purpose of the lever is so you can avoid pulling the trigger, since that's one point at which accidents have been known to happen.

Btw, the backstrap pin on the bottom of the handle makes a handy tool for switching the lever.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xeero View Post
    I don't think it will necessarily harm the gun. But, the purpose of the lever is so you can avoid pulling the trigger, since that's one point at which accidents have been known to happen.
    I agree. The trigger pull trick also only works on guns w/o the magazine disconnect.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Well I have no problem pulling the trigger since i lock the slide back before flipping the takedown lever anyways so I know it isn't loaded

Administrator
    According to Smith & Wesson it is OK to dry fire all of their handguns except the .22 Rim Fire guns.

You did it the way I always break mine down. I'd use a ballpoint pen or a small screwdriver, or a bent paperclip, or a toothpick, etc before I'd go through the hassle of getting the "frame tool" out of the grip to lower the sear deactivation lever..mine is pretty tight.

No problem pulling the trigger before removing the action. Just double check that you font have a round in the chamber.
    If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

Links