Help! I think I killed my new gun (kimber)

This is a discussion on Help! I think I killed my new gun (kimber) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok I just got my new gun today (pics will follow if I can figure out how to do it) and decided to take it ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Help! I think I killed my new gun (kimber)

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar

Ok I just got my new gun today (pics will follow if I can figure out how to do it) and decided to take it apart to see if I could do it and clean it. Well I got it apart ok but putting it back together hasn't gone so well. Just a few questions and I hope someone can answer them for me. I'm pretty sure I got the barrel link lined up because I got the slide stop back in and snapped into place. My concern is now that I have it back together the barrel rattles and you can move it (the barrel) back and forth (front to back) about 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch and there is just a little tiny side to side movement. I don't remeber the rattle (movement) at the gun store and thats what has me worried. Is there supposed to be front to back movement? Is there supposed to be side to side movement? Does anyone elses Kimber or 1911 have barrel rattle? Is that normal or no? Should I take it back to the LGS where I bought it? I'm just freaked out because of the money I spent for this thing. If it helps out it is the Kimber Raptor Pro SS. Thanks for any info folks.

Try youtube, you can find most anything there including taking a gun apart and putting it back together.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

You will get some movement with the barrel. Put a magazine in with some snap caps and see how it feeds the snap caps. Plus you can take it back apart and put it back together if you think it is wrong.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

i think you missed the barrel link when you reinstalled the slide lock.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Thanks guys, I looked at youtube to take it apart. I also took it apart a couple more times and put it back together and still have the rattle, maybe I just missed it at the store. Maybe a few more will chime in with thoughts as well. Thanks guys.

OD*
    I think Gman called it correctly.
    JD and CLASS3NH like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

If the slide is locked in place there should not be any barrel movement. Make sure you can see the the hole in the link before you insert the slide lock. Put the slide lock in with the grip down, that will allow the link to remain in the proper position.
    Bark'n and jem102 like this.
    " The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson

No, there should be no movement with the gun in battery and the hammer back. Sounds like Sureshot is correct and you have missed the link. It's most likely folded up and your are trapping it with the guide rod and running the stop pin in under it. As Sureshot has stated be sure the gun is in normal position and the link is down. The tilt it over to the right until you can see and be sure the link is level with the hole. Push the slide stop in.
    Does the back of the slide line up with the back of the frame?
    Will the thumb safety go on?
    With the slide back and locked there should be 1/32-1/16 front to rear barrel movement.

By the way, not being a smart you know what but while your concentration is else where, new gun your just learning and all let's be sure the ammo is far away and the mags are empty...
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

When power is up for grabs; personal liberty is usually one of the first casualtiesÖ

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    i think you missed the barrel link when you reinstalled the slide lock.
    I did same thing on my kimber super carry ultra first time I took it apart. Don't worry it is not a paperweight. :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RKM
    I really dislike taking down my 1911. I was so accustomed to my Glocks and HK. But, it gets easier. I used to have to follow a video the first few times I took my 1911 down and put it back together. The 1911 is an awesome pistol, but I much appreciate the simplicity of the more modern plastic guns :D

Thanks jem102 and I know you are just looking out for my safety. There is no ammo in the house for the gun yet so it's safe. The slide and frame line up in the back you can feel a little diff with a fingernail if you run it across it. The safety also engages and disengages with no problem. When it's in battery there is no movement or rattle. It's when the slide is back that you get the movement and rattle. Does this sound correct? I should have listened and not made a 1911 my first gun, live and learn I guess. I've taken it apart 10-12 times with the same result every time. I'm gonna take it back to the gun store tomorrow and see if they can help me out. I'm just frustrated with it and it's time to give up on it. I'll check for any new posts in a bit. thanks all.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioCatter View Post
    When it's in battery there is no movement or rattle. It's when the slide is back that you get the movement and rattle. Does this sound correct?
    Yes, with the slide out of battery, they all are like yours.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Relax, if you put the pin in and the slide doesn’t come off and you can work the slid back and forth, it is assembled correctly. If it comes off, you missed the barrel link, try it again, it may lock up if it is out of place. Just take the pin out and start over.

When you go to put it together have the gun in the upright position so you can get to the barrel link with the slid stop pin.

Yes the barrel should be loose when it is in slide lock, both forward and side movement. When it is in a closed mode (in battery) it will not move but a few thousandths of an inch side to side at the muzzle if at all.

VIP Member
    When installing the slide, I point the gun down so the link stays forward to line up with the pin holes in the frame. Don't depress the grip safety as the slide is installed, so the firing pin block plunger lever in the frame doesn't protrude and become damaged. Avoid scratching the frame above the scallop behind the trigger as you swing the slide lock up to the plunger tube to pop it up and in. The barrel will be rather tight fitting in battery, but it will be loose when the slide is back. Congratulations on your new Kimber.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links