Micro CCW Project - Page 2

Micro CCW Project

This is a discussion on Micro CCW Project within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Gideon My main carry is a Kahr P9. I'm small of stature, thin, w/small hands so single stack, thin weapons are best. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    My main carry is a Kahr P9. I'm small of stature, thin, w/small hands so single stack, thin weapons are best. I love 1911's and would really like a very small one for CCW.

I've looked at the Kimber CDPs but there are a few things I can't understand or don't like
    1st. if Kimber is so good, why no lifetime warranty
    2nd. I like the old style trigger due to it's shorter reach

I've looked at the SA Micro and like it except it's costly has ambi safety which I'd rather not have.

Ideally I'd love a 4" barrel on a compact (officer's frame right?) frame. I'm assuming SA's ultra compact frame is the same as an officers frame. I like the 4" for reliability but the compact frame for concealability on a smal person such as myself.

I can't find too many 1911's w/ 4", officer frame, no ambi, that I can readily afford. Colt's, Kimbers, etc. are all the better part of a 1000, so here's my idea.

Buy an SA GI micro. Should be able to get one for $400 or so. It has a life time warranty so I have something to work with. Then, when I've had a chance to save more money, I'll add novak sights and an extended safety. Eventually I might have checkering cut in the front strap; maybe lower/flare the ejection port if needed.

When it's all said and done I'll have spent as much (if not quite a bit more) than I would have on a SA fully loaded micro, but I'll end up with my small .45 for CCW that meets my criterial. If along the way I have problems with the gun, I'll have the time to work through them or I could always sell it off and not be hurt too bad.

I can live with the GI sights for awhile because it's only for CCW, point and shoot stuff.

I wish I could find a 4" officers frame, no ambi, that wasn't a $1000 with a lifetime warranty.

have any of you done something similar? Any suggestions? I know messing with a 3" barrelled 1911 is risky but I figure if I can get it running reliably and then go from there I'll be okay. If I can't, I won't move forward.

In the end I think it would be the ideal CCW for someone of my build. It would be light enough, fit my hand, carry well, and be a .45.

Thoughs and suggestions would be very welcome!

Thanks

Gideon
    Gideon,

Heres a couple of used ones on Gunbroker.com, in your price range.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=54434594
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=54500930

Hope this helps.
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Thanks Tex, interesting second weapon, a "night .45"? never saw an SA like that? Not too keen about buying a used weapon over the internet without physically inspecting the weapon.

Any of you ever do that?

Thanks again for all the input! I've continued to think about the GI. It would be all steel so it could be shot ALOT but it would be heavier for carry. I wonder how much 4 ounces really matters? Thats the difference between the 4" Kimber CDP and the GI micro...

Hmmmm

Thanks
    Gideon

Gideon,

I personally have not purchased, via the web, from just a picture. I know that there are some that have and have, for the most part, stated a satisfactory experience.

Tex
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

I have the Ultra CDP and love it. When you look at the features you get for the money, ie. frontstrap checkering, checkering under the trigger guard, melt job, night sights, nice wood grips, etc. it is worth it. There is really no extra work to be done. The Ultra is a great shooter with a great trigger. The only mods I made to mine were VZ grips and an Ed Brown SS MSH. IMO it's the perfect carry piece. As for the warranty call Kimber in 10 years and tell them you have a problem with your CDP and I guarantee they fix it for free. As for a steel vs. aluminum frame there is a substantial difference. I had a steel framed Eclipse Ultra and went to the CDP. There was a 9oz difference and yes it is noticable. My CDP loaded weighs about the same as the unloaded steel gun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links