Micro CCW Project

Micro CCW Project

This is a discussion on Micro CCW Project within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My main carry is a Kahr P9. I'm small of stature, thin, w/small hands so single stack, thin weapons are best. I love 1911's and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

Micro CCW Project

My main carry is a Kahr P9. I'm small of stature, thin, w/small hands so single stack, thin weapons are best. I love 1911's and would really like a very small one for CCW.

I've looked at the Kimber CDPs but there are a few things I can't understand or don't like
    1st. if Kimber is so good, why no lifetime warranty
    2nd. I like the old style trigger due to it's shorter reach

I've looked at the SA Micro and like it except it's costly has ambi safety which I'd rather not have.

Ideally I'd love a 4" barrel on a compact (officer's frame right?) frame. I'm assuming SA's ultra compact frame is the same as an officers frame. I like the 4" for reliability but the compact frame for concealability on a smal person such as myself.

I can't find too many 1911's w/ 4", officer frame, no ambi, that I can readily afford. Colt's, Kimbers, etc. are all the better part of a 1000, so here's my idea.

Buy an SA GI micro. Should be able to get one for $400 or so. It has a life time warranty so I have something to work with. Then, when I've had a chance to save more money, I'll add novak sights and an extended safety. Eventually I might have checkering cut in the front strap; maybe lower/flare the ejection port if needed.

When it's all said and done I'll have spent as much (if not quite a bit more) than I would have on a SA fully loaded micro, but I'll end up with my small .45 for CCW that meets my criterial. If along the way I have problems with the gun, I'll have the time to work through them or I could always sell it off and not be hurt too bad.

I can live with the GI sights for awhile because it's only for CCW, point and shoot stuff.

I wish I could find a 4" officers frame, no ambi, that wasn't a $1000 with a lifetime warranty.

have any of you done something similar? Any suggestions? I know messing with a 3" barrelled 1911 is risky but I figure if I can get it running reliably and then go from there I'll be okay. If I can't, I won't move forward.

In the end I think it would be the ideal CCW for someone of my build. It would be light enough, fit my hand, carry well, and be a .45.

Thoughs and suggestions would be very welcome!

Thanks

Gideon

Micro

I have a Para 3" 1911 which has been perfect out of the box.
    You can find them for about $750, they have a lifetime warranty and it's a great firearm.

Here's the thread of my range report on the Slim Hawg.

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=11882

A couple of points

Regarding the lifetime warranty you are seeking - if you buy a basic 3 inch Springfield and have it gunsmithed, or change out parts, will that void the warranty? Personally, I don't think warranties on handguns are that important. I have owned 50 handguns, buying some new and some used, and have never made a warranty claim. If something goes wrong I have a gunsmith fix it and pay the price. But I buy quality brands and have had minimal problems that need fixing.

On your basic point - a subcompact 1911 for easy concealment - I also recently succumbed to that siren call, after owning 4 inch and 5 inch barrel 1911s for many years. I was a little afraid of the 3 inchers, even though I looked at quite a few. My reading on the Internet convinced me that the Colt Defender was the best bet for dependability, and I happened to find a lightly used one that I bought for $700 recently. I changed out the stock rubber grips for slimline Alumagrips, and the gun is now very compact and thin. It is 0.9 inches thick through the slide, and a little over 1.0 inches thick through the grips. I have put about 350 rounds of various ammo through it, and it functions quite well.

You might consider that if you buy a $400 project gun and start modifying it, you might have over $700 into it by the time you are done. So you could have bought a higher end gun (used) and started with that instead.

Kimber makes a 4" on an officers frame called the compact II. You should be able to get one for around $600-700 NIB. While it may not have a "lifetime warranty" they will fix it if you have problems. I have an Ultra Carry II that ejected brass at my head and they sent me a new extractor free.

I have a SA Micro Compact with Novak sights that I bought on consignment for 800.00. It was brand new and had never been shot. I don't mind the ambi-safety, but it could probably be swapped out. You mentioned the too costly aspect. I thought of that too, but then thought of the worth of my life and my families life. No comparison there.
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

Get yourself a GI micro and send it to Springfield Custom. Wait three months and get this back:

Single side safety and Heinie straight eight night sights. The rest is the TRP package.
    Of course you're going to have a bit more than $700 into it when you get done

ETA: I also have a loaded Micro that I put a single side safety and alumagrips on, carries well.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Check out the RIA, I have had great luck with them. You can go here to get in touch with Ivan Walcott http://forum.m1911.org/ He is the rep. for North America. Lifetime warranty on them. And check the threads most everyone likes them. There has not been many problems with them.

Don't think I would have sunk that much into the micro could have bought a better pistol for less. However, realiability becomes a issue when you start getting into the smaller or micro 1911's
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

I'm for the para since I own one.
    Try a comparison between the Springfield and a few models of the para. You might find that interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueLion View Post
    Don't think I would have sunk that much into the micro could have bought a better pistol for less. However, realiability becomes a issue when you start getting into the smaller or micro 1911's
    I'm guessing you were referring to my previous post. If so I'll answer it this way.
    I sent this GI in for the custom work after I bought it and put several hundred rounds down the pipe with no problems. I sent it for custom work because I wanted it, not because it needed it. No matter where you go you hear the same old mantra " 3"1911s are no good" apparently the two I have didn't get that message. Personally I think it's bull. If Colt, Kimber, Springfield, Para Ordnance, Rock Island, etc. had problems with them do you think they'd continue to sell them year after year?
    As far a buying a better gun for less, what would you suggest and why?

Look at the Par Ordance CCW it is stainless steel and comes with a 4.25" barrel. Magazine capacity is 7+1.

I have one at it is very accurate and reliable. I particularly like the LDA trigger.
    MY GUN, MY RIGHT!!

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    I have been very happy with my Kimber Ultra Carry. I have had it about six years now. Only problem I had with it was the front site came dislodged, sent it back to Kimber and it was back in my hands inside of 10 days. There may not be a lifetime warranty but my experience is that they stand behind what they sell.

Not sure of pricing now but I'm thinking you could get one for around $700.00. The Kimber has a great trigger and its my second favorite pistol right behind my USPc.

Good luck in your search.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    A lot of good info. My problem is I have fancy tastes but it's hard to come up with a $1000 at one for a pistol. Some of you mentioned some prices that seem low compared to what I see in my area. For example, Kimber does offer a compact (officers) 4" CDP that has everything I like including front strap checkering but it's going to cost between $1000 and $1200 in my area and I'll never find one used.

The Kimber Ultra's are all around $800+ or more. The little Springfield GI Micro would run me right at $500.

Now I can get 500 together easier than a $1000 so the idea was to get the platform and enjoy it as is for a while, then I'd start doing things piece by piece. The big one would be to send it off for checkering and refinishing along with anything else I'd want to do at the same time. If figure when I'm done I'd have a bit more than the Kimber CDP II price into it but it would be spread out over a few years.

I too hear a LOT about any 1911 under 4" and I would imagine it does get a little more dicey, but I've read a lot of forums and seen posts on every gun I've ever hear of being a jamomatic or something worse. I guess the major brands are probably more consistent.

I did look at a Colt compact but it was $900 plus without many of the features of the Kimber.

I do appreciate everyones input and ideas!

Thanks!

Gideon

Gideon,
    Try the Micro GI. I bought mine for $425 and shot it for a while before sending it out.
    Check Springfield's website and download their custom shop order form. There are 3-4 pages of things you can do like checkering, sights, safeties, etc. By the time you wittle that list down to what you want you'll have saved some money to send her off. They do Excellent work!

The CDP is expensive, but take a look at the more entry level Kimbers in that bbl config. It should be cheaper. I bought my UCII for $630 about 3 years ago at a gun shop with good prices...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links