XDM 45 3.8 Compact Anybody have one and do you like it?

This is a discussion on XDM 45 3.8 Compact Anybody have one and do you like it? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I see Springfield is now making the XDM 45 3.8 compact, I heard Tom on GUN TALK saying it was a very accurate as accurate ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: XDM 45 3.8 Compact Anybody have one and do you like it?

I see Springfield is now making the XDM 45 3.8 compact, I heard Tom on GUN TALK saying it was a very accurate as accurate as his 1911's, anyway I need some more input on the XDM 45, I have never own a XD only shot a XD 40 full size. I wanted to know about accuracy and how do you like the platform and reliability?

i have the 4" .45. absolutely love it. recoil is minimal. had i known at the time they were going to release the 3.8 in .45, i might 've waited. but i'm very happy with my gun.
    DamYankee likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    It's so new I haven't seen it anywhere yet. I'm interested in seeing range reports, too.
    Hakkaa päälle!

mkh
    I've tried to find it at the local gun stores but no luck.

I have an XDm .45 with a 4.5" barrel and love it though it is kind of big and fat. I carried it for a while but now carry a Sig P22o which fits my hand better.

If you haven't seen this it is a good watch.

I'm wanting one.
    WD54241 and DubH00 like this.

eb
    My wife bought the new XDm 3.8 compact 45 on Saturday, and we shot it on Sunday at the range. As with our other XD guns, it functioned perfectly on FMJ and HP ammo. It is very similar to my XD 45 compact that I carry routinely, but just a little shorter in both the grip and barrel. If it were my gun, I'd need to add the Pearce pinky extensions to get a good hold on it, but otherwise its great and very concealable for a 45.

All of our XDs are deadly accurate, and none has ever failed. Only my Beretta PX4s have proven as reliable. Its a great platform, and frankly given the size of that new XDm, I can't see any reason to carry a smaller caliber. I carry the slightly larger XD 45 compact easily all the time.
    zero, ktulu92fs and WD54241 like this.

eb
    I took a quick picture for you guys.

TOP: My usual carry gun, a 4" XD 45 compact

BOTTOM: Brand new XDm 3.8 45 compact

I forgot to ask can you shoot lead bullets out of a XD?

Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    I see Springfield is now making the XDM 45 3.8 compact, I heard Tom on GUN TALK saying it was a very accurate as accurate as his 1911's, anyway I need some more input on the XDM 45, I have never own a XD only shot a XD 40 full size. I wanted to know about accuracy and how do you like the platform and reliability?
    Have one, not only like it but love it. Shoots incredibly accurately. Hits exactly where I point the pistol. I just need to point it more precisely. Just picked it up last night. Only had a half hour before the LGS and firing range closed. Ran 100 fmj and 50 jhp. 7 yd range put one ragged hole wherever I kept the sights. I was very pleased with being able to even do a "smiley face" on the silhouette target.

When resting my arms on the shooting table and slow firing, all holes touched each other making one big hole 1.5 inches for 9 shots.

The gun is tight, fit and finish as good as Springfield gets. Trigger takes up smooth and breaks clean but a little heavy. The grip fits my hand well, although with the flush fit 9 rd magazine my pinky curls under the grip. This was not a problem with shooting accurately or holding onto this hand cannon. The sights provide a crisp and clear sight picture even with my aging eyes. In the low light conditions at our shooting range I could have used night sights. They may be next on my list.

The compact grip is necessarily small for concealed carry. With the full-size mag with grip extension in place, it is a very soft shooter. The gear with the gun includes 3 grip extensions so with the 3 free mags offered with the gun from SA's promotion, I'll have one compact and 3 full-size mags ready to rock with one spare mag with no extension sleeve until I buy another. I understand that the mags will work without a sleeve on them is one so desires.

Although the extension sleeves are sized for each of the 3 different back straps, I found they all worked well with the medium back strap.

This will be my new partner in life after a little more break-in although I expect not even a hiccup and haven't gotten one yet.

Of course SA's customer service is as exemplary as ever. I had made a mistake in submitting my electronic application for the free mag offer and emailed CS. That was 10PM last night. Had a reply with confirmation of my order and estimated ship date on the mags by 7:28 this morning.

All in all, this is my 5th SA and I have yet to be disappointed.

From what I understand, SA firearms do shoot lead bullets but I've not had the opportunity to shoot any.
    Ruger MkII, Kel Tek P3AT, Hi Point JH45, SA XDm9, SA XD9sc, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded Micro
    Life is fragile and is what we make it. Keep dear to your heart that of your loved ones and fellow man and by God don't try to take it from me or my loved one's.

Quote Originally Posted by resqr9142 View Post
    Have one, not only like it but love it. Shoots incredibly accurately. Hits exactly where I point the pistol. I just need to point it more precisely. Just picked it up last night. Only had a half hour before the LGS and firing range closed. Ran 100 fmj and 50 jhp. 7 yd range put one ragged hole wherever I kept the sights. I was very pleased with being able to even do a "smiley face" on the silhouette target.

When resting my arms on the shooting table and slow firing, all holes touched each other making one big hole 1.5 inches for 9 shots.

The gun is tight, fit and finish as good as Springfield gets. Trigger takes up smooth and breaks clean but a little heavy. The grip fits my hand well, although with the flush fit 9 rd magazine my pinky curls under the grip. This was not a problem with shooting accurately or holding onto this hand cannon. The sights provide a crisp and clear sight picture even with my aging eyes. In the low light conditions at our shooting range I could have used night sights. They may be next on my list.

The compact grip is necessarily small for concealed carry. With the full-size mag with grip extension in place, it is a very soft shooter. The gear with the gun includes 3 grip extensions so with the 3 free mags offered with the gun from SA's promotion, I'll have one compact and 3 full-size mags ready to rock with one spare mag with no extension sleeve until I buy another. I understand that the mags will work without a sleeve on them is one so desires.

Although the extension sleeves are sized for each of the 3 different back straps, I found they all worked well with the medium back strap.

This will be my new partner in life after a little more break-in although I expect not even a hiccup and haven't gotten one yet.

Of course SA's customer service is as exemplary as ever. I had made a mistake in submitting my electronic application for the free mag offer and emailed CS. That was 10PM last night. Had a reply with confirmation of my order and estimated ship date on the mags by 7:28 this morning.

All in all, this is my 5th SA and I have yet to be disappointed.

From what I understand, SA firearms do shoot lead bullets but I've not had the opportunity to shoot any.
    That's what I like to hear, I'm certainly excited to hit the shops and find one. How do you carry if you don't mind me asking?
    Fiend

eb
    I use a CompTac Minotaur to carry my XD Compact 45 IWB...

Went back to the range, ran a few different drills at 10 yds, strong hand only, weak hand only, using weapon-mounted light as aiming device, etc. Had 2 failures to chamber fully with JHP's shooting with weak hand. I'm sure I was limp-wristing it. All it took was a quick rack of the slide and the round went right in. After I concentrated on strong grip, no more jams.

Slapped an 8" Shoot-n-C target on the silouhette target and moved out to 25 yards. Shooting off-hand and was rather pleased. I am by no means a good shot but I was happy and will do better with more practice.
    1215111427.jpg
    As far as a holster, I have many that fit my XDsc9 and XDm4.5 9 and they fit this gun well. IWB I use a kholster and OWB I use either Galco Fletch or the holster that came in the gear package with a few minor mods on my part.
    Ruger MkII, Kel Tek P3AT, Hi Point JH45, SA XDm9, SA XD9sc, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded Micro
    Life is fragile and is what we make it. Keep dear to your heart that of your loved ones and fellow man and by God don't try to take it from me or my loved one's.

Is the offer for the 3 extra mags still going??? According to the add on the website this offer only lasted until Nov 30...

The reason I ask is because I am the proud new owner of a XDM 3.8 9mm!!

I just recently purchased the XDm 45 ACP 3.8 as my first carry gun. I love it, have been to the range twice and with close to 250 rounds through it, not one malfunction. I personally had not fired any XD's or XDm's and am coming from primarily glocks. There was no adjustment needed, the trigger felt great as did the grip and I prefer the 9 round clip much more than the extended one it also comes with. This is perfect since it will by the clip I will be carrying with it. I have been researching on a good carry pistol for the last 4 months and it all came down to this. It fit my budget and I must say I enjoy shooting it more than my friend Kimber 1911. I'd say go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by jace33 View Post
    Is the offer for the 3 extra mags still going??? According to the add on the website this offer only lasted until Nov 30...

The reason I ask is because I am the proud new owner of a XDM 3.8 9mm!!
    Congratulations on your new aquisition. It should be a sweet shooter for you.
    No, the GearUp promotion is no longer in effect. I qualified for it since I put a "paid in full" down payment on mine prior to 30 November and then my LGS ordered it. Sorry you missed out.

One thing I noticed about this XDm is that the trigger was heavier and had some creep after the initial take-up before the striker released that my older XDm9 full size does not have. I've put 300 rds through it so far and have spent hours dry-firing it, it has greatly improved. Hopefully it will continue to do so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links