Opinions on Beretta's PX 4 Storm .45?

This is a discussion on Opinions on Beretta's PX 4 Storm .45? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've long been a Beretta enthusiast; from the military sidearm, the M9, to my personal piece, the 92fs. I recently bought the Storm .45, and ...

Thread: Opinions on Beretta's PX 4 Storm .45?

Opinions on Beretta's PX 4 Storm .45?

I've long been a Beretta enthusiast; from the military sidearm, the M9, to my personal piece, the 92fs. I recently bought the Storm .45, and I love it! I'm just curious as to how others have fared with theirs, and if they're too new to the scene to have caught much notice...any opinions?

2. Remove Ads

It is a fine good looking gun. I carry it in a Minatar IWB holster It shoots accurately and reliably. The cons are it's sharp slide safety and it's DA/SA trigger. It feels almost like my S&W 410 and even fits my old holsters. The PX4 is easy to take down and clean. I don't know why it hasn't replaced the M9.
    Laus Deo

Those who are willing to trade freedom for security will have neither.
    You alone are responsible for your defense.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Super reliable and easy to shoot. I had one in .40.

very nice range or home defense weapon. Per Beretta's website the width of the Storm is 1.4". Would be a tough IWB carry gun and IMO there are better .45 carry pistols than the Storm. Again, not saying its not a great pistol, just on the chubby side for my tastes.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Administrator
    A good quality, but poorly designed gun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have the PX4 Storm in 9mm and my only gripe is the sharp slide safety. When racking the slide often, the safety can be a pain in the ass due to the "rabbit ear" design of the safety pointing toward the barrel. Overall, the Storm is super reliable and great for home defense or open carry.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/Sig 1911 Ultra/Beretta PX4 Storm/Kimber Ultra Carry II

I love my PX4 .40 full size but it is a little thick to carry, IMO.

Sixth, why do you think it is poorly designed?

Administrator
    Like the it predecessor, the Cougar, the whole rotating bolt thing is a solution looking for a problem. It throws the entire balance of the gun off and adds unnecessary weight. The slide is thick and cumbersome, its tough to do reload and malfunction drills with. The trigger leaves a lot to be desired (especially the D model), it feels more like something I'd expect from Ruger, certainly not Beretta. It just can't compete with the big names in polymer combat pistols.

Now to be fair, I do say its a quality gun. If the PX4 tickles you nicely, then don't let my opinion sway yours. I am a huge Beretta fan- I have lots of their products, with plans on acquiring more. I have not seen one thing come from Beretta that was not a quality piece. I just never got the PX4 or the cougar line up for that matter.
    "Just blame Sixto"

eb
    I have 3 Storms. A 9mm fullsize bought right when they came out in 2004, a subcompact 9mm, and a fullsize 45. Between the 3 of them I have many thousands of rounds fired. None has ever failed to anything, even once. They are reliable guns, with very controllable recoil... and they are also easy to field strip and clean. I love the rotating barrel. Accuracy is great. I would classify these 3 guns as among the most reliable guns I own, and I own many. Only my Springfield XDs have approached the sheer number of rounds put through them without a single hitch.

I've carried my 45 in a Comp-Tac Minotaur many times, and its not too bad for being a full-size service pistol. I usually carry an XD 45 compact though, because of the grip length being much shorter. The PX4 45 is currently in my nightstand as a home defense weapon. I plan on picking up a .40 PX4 someday to round out the collection.

If I had any criticism, it would be the trigger pull. It is not as nice as many of my other guns, however that said... I really could care less. I easily adapt to any gun when I'm shooting. Its not like in a SD scenario I'm going to be saying "hey, that trigger is smooooooth!!!". All of mine have the DA/SA triggers, FWIW.

Very reliable that's my home defense weapon... Well one of them ;-)

Links