small carry conceal handguns. 9mm or .380 , Why you carry one over the other ?

This is a discussion on small carry conceal handguns. 9mm or .380 , Why you carry one over the other ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 9mm, that's why I carry a Kahr PM9 and MK9... they are great shooters and easy to conceal without the shortcomings of the .380. I ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: small carry conceal handguns. 9mm or .380 , Why you carry one over the other ?

9mm, that's why I carry a Kahr PM9 and MK9... they are great shooters and easy to conceal without the shortcomings of the .380. I used to have an LCP but hated it. I now added a S&W 642, more punch and less opportunity for failure than the tiny .380's.

2. Remove Ads

To each his own, carry something, and be proficient with what you carry. 380 vs 9 can be debated all day, but if the 9 is in the truck or at home , the 380 looks pretty darn good.... I carry a 380 a lot, due to convienance and concealability, and feel very confident that a double tap from a 380 is going to get your attention, no matter what ballistics or anyone else says....this is all my personal opinion, nothing to back it up in writing ect. I do prefer carrying the 40 cal. but that was not in the equasion. so 380 vs 9, carry whichever you like. The little mustang is a fine weapon, and a double or triple tap from it should take care of immediate threat. But i have never been shot by anything, other than bb guns m wrist rockets n paintballs, but those get your attention, so a 380 should be fine.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

With all the smaller 9mm's these days, why would anyone prefer a "short" 9mm to the full size slug? If someone has a problem concealing a G26, I think that person would have a difficult time concealing any handgun. JMHO.
    zonker1986 likes this.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Boy View Post
    With all the smaller 9mm's these days, why would anyone prefer a "short" 9mm to the full size slug? If someone has a problem concealing a G26, I think that person would have a difficult time concealing any handgun. JMHO.
    You have got to be kidding!
    I have a G26, and it is concealable but it sure isn't as easy to conceal as my LCP.
    I am sure I could conceal any handgun if I dressed for it.
    NavyAirdale likes this.

7 in of penetration is enough to hit the heart and I shoot the P238 very well. I use it as a BUG to my 45. A 9mm BUG would just be too heavy for pocket carry. I also have a S&W J frame 13oz that I sometimes use if I have deep front pockets. Its probably better to have a 380 than no BUG.
    laus Deo

Those who are willing to trade freedom for security will have neither.
    You alone are responsible for your own defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Boy View Post

When I carry my BG380 I carry 6+1 and 2 extra 6 round magazines for a total of 19 rounds. When carrying my BG380 IWB I can use my regular size pants, however when I carry my Keltec P11 which is about the same size as a glock G26 I need to use my pants that are a size larger in the waist. God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by 1959 View Post
    I have a G26, and it is concealable but it sure isn't as easy to conceal as my LCP.
    Hey! That's my line....

Carry on...
    Old School likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by 1959 View Post
    price you have to pay for a cartridge with 2X the power of a .380.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    price you have to pay for a cartridge with 2X the power of a .380.
    If you want to carry some power get this...Magnum Research
    I could conceal this if I wanted to dress for it.

It's not my intent to start an argument here, but I'd say that at 380 vs larger calibers is even less effective this time of the year when people tend to wear more clothes (i.e. heavy coats, sweaters, etc.). I like the 45acp round. I carry hollow points, but the reality is that even if my 230 gr gold dot doesn't expand properly, it will penetrate and make a big hole.

Quote Originally Posted by MLittle View Post
    It's not my intent to start an argument here, but I'd say that at 380 vs larger calibers is even less effective this time of the year when people tend to wear more clothes (i.e. heavy coats, sweaters, etc.). I like the 45acp round. I carry hollow points, but the reality is that even if my 230 gr gold dot doesn't expand properly, it will penetrate and make a big hole.
    I agree, when the time of year that bad guys would be wearing a coat, I will also be wearing one.
    That is when a full size handgun can be very easy to conceal OWB under a coat.
    Philly Boy likes this.

"Easy" isn't necessarily better when talking about carrying a weapon. I realize that pocket guns are " easier" to conceal than a G26 or 19, but, I'd rather go with the better slug and feel more comfortable carrying it than feel even a little bit of a question in my mind with, say, a .380. I've had Bersa's, Beretta's, etc., that fit nicely in my pocket, but they are all gone now. O.K., I said to myself, suppose I had my .32acp Tomcat in my pocket and I ran into a real SHTF situation; I think I want my 9mm in a good holster rather than the Tomcat in my pocket. The Tomcat was fun to shoot, but I feel much better off with my G26. JMO folks. Enjoy whatever makes you happy.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Since winter is coming on and we all are wearing thick coats and more clothes, I should go up on the calibers. How about..... 10mm vs. .45acp ?
    Well....I have a 1911 .45acp, but being honest here. I would love to have a 10mm, preference would be glock 29. You ????
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

I don't want to have to buy another ammo to have around, when I can buy a gun that is small enough if I want it and the same ammo be used in larger guns as well, as well as some rifles/carbines. A .380 cannot ! ! ! So, it's too restricted of a use, costs for ammo, and effect of the round anyway. If I carry something smaller and not a 9mm, it's a .357 5-shot or 7 - shot revolver.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

That would work. Rugers LCR in .357 mag. would work.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links