small carry conceal handguns. 9mm or .380 , Why you carry one over the other ? - Page 3

small carry conceal handguns. 9mm or .380 , Why you carry one over the other ?

This is a discussion on small carry conceal handguns. 9mm or .380 , Why you carry one over the other ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a G19 or G26 "almost" exclusively from the beginning of sweatshirt season to the end of it, there are exceptions. I can hide ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: small carry conceal handguns. 9mm or .380 , Why you carry one over the other ?

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I carry a G19 or G26 "almost" exclusively from the beginning of sweatshirt season to the end of it, there are exceptions. I can hide either under a sweatshirt. I can hide the G26 under an untucked button shirt but not under an untucked T-Shirt.

So, in the summer it's pretty much the P238 or LCP in that order of preference because of the bedtter sights and trigger on the P238. Sometimes, even in sweatshirt season, like when going to a Christmas party, I'll pack the P238 in an IWB just becasue I have a sport coat or suit jacket on and it hides well under the jacket @ 4:30 to 5:00.

I don't feel under gunned with any of them, but I prefer the P238 to the LCP when I can hide it. The LCP is the gun I carry when I can't hide "anything" bigger. A G19 or G26 it isn't, but it's better than spit.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by JerryMac View Post
    To each his own, carry something, and be proficient with what you carry. 380 vs 9 can be debated all day, but if the 9 is in the truck or at home , the 380 looks pretty darn good.... I carry a 380 a lot, due to convienance and concealability, and feel very confident that a double tap from a 380 is going to get your attention, no matter what ballistics or anyone else says....this is all my personal opinion, nothing to back it up in writing ect. I do prefer carrying the 40 cal. but that was not in the equasion. so 380 vs 9, carry whichever you like. The little mustang is a fine weapon, and a double or triple tap from it should take care of immediate threat. But i have never been shot by anything, other than bb guns m wrist rockets n paintballs, but those get your attention, so a 380 should be fine.
    To each his own, I agree. You must decide for yourself what level of convenience you must have versus the round/piece you will carry to save your life. I'm really not interested in getting someone's attention. I'm interested in making someone bent on harming me STOP their actions NOW, IMMEDIATELY. Basing your carry decision on getting someone's attention with a paintball or BB shot is reckless. Having said that, if I'm going to go through the trouble of carrying around a gun, there's no way I'm going to carry something that's not recognized as a quality, proven, defense round. 380 simply ain't it, sorry. For the hassles of a little pocket pistol that is inaccurate, unreliable, no fun to shoot (no practice), and simply provides self-assurance and peace-of-mind much in the same way that pre-purchased cemetery plots do, you could actually carry something that might just save your life sometime in the face of the gravest danger. I have no problem carrying a Glock 23 all day every day, shorts, T-shirt, whatever. And if I can't pull that off, I'm pocket carrying a .38 wheelie. Usually both.
    AZJD1968 and zonker1986 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    To each his own, I agree. You must decide for yourself what level of convenience you must have versus the round/piece you will carry to save your life. I'm really not interested in getting someone's attention. I'm interested in making someone bent on harming me STOP their actions NOW, IMMEDIATELY. Basing your carry decision on getting someone's attention with a paintball or BB shot is reckless. Having said that, if I'm going to go through the trouble of carrying around a gun, there's no way I'm going to carry something that's not recognized as a quality, proven, defense round. 380 simply ain't it, sorry. For the hassles of a little pocket pistol that is inaccurate, unreliable, no fun to shoot (no practice), and simply provides self-assurance and peace-of-mind much in the same way that pre-purchased grave sites do, you could actually carry something that might just save your life sometime in the face of the gravest danger.
    With your reasoning, we should all drive big SUV'S, or trucks because you would be safer in an accident.

eb
    I shoot our small 380s worse than virtually any other larger caliber gun in our collection. They are light and buck like mules. I very rarely will carry my TCP 738 if I REALLY must have deep concealment, but I try and avoid it. I have a Keltec PF9 that is not much larger that I prefer over the TCP, but again, I try not to carry that either. I feel better with a 45 on my belt personally, so that is what I carry. Different strokes... :)

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    ... there's no way I'm going to carry something that's not recognized as a quality, proven, defense round. 380 simply ain't it, sorry. For the hassles of a little pocket pistol that is inaccurate, unreliable, no fun to shoot (no practice), ...
    It's pretty obvious you've never fired a SIG-SAUER P238 (or the Colt Mustang which it's a licensed copy of). The P238 is just plain fun to shoot (my wife who is a total recoil phobe loves to shoot hers), remarkably accurate, beautifuly made, has excellent sights with tritium night site inserts standard, a decent single action trigger, and is very easy to conceal. As far as the .380 being unproven, the .380 was used for decades in Europe as a police round in the Walther Police Pistol line.

If someone decides to be armed, and picks a small .380, good for them. The most important part of being armed is the decision and commitment to do so every day. If a P238 or a Ruger LCP is all that fits in that scenario, then it's what will be carried. My sister has an LCP because it's the one gun she can always have with her. She practices with it. She doesn't like shooting it but she does every time she goes to the range. She's savng up for a P238 but until that can be purchased, she'll carry the LCP. I'm proud of her.

There is no handgun round that will always cause someone to "STOP their actions NOW, IMMEDIATELY." Not your Glock 23 or your .38Sp pocket gun (which is about the same muzzle energy as a .380 - the difference isn't enough to matter). The only thing that comes close is a 12Ga slug gun, and even that isn't perfect (but it's sure hard to conceal).

There are times when the choice is a small automatic, P238, Colt Mustang, LCP, KT P3AT, S&W Body guard, <insert favorite>, or snub nose revolver or no gun at all because that is all that can be hidden. The small .380 semi-autos are considerably easier to hide than a revolver because they are so flat.

The P238 is a hell of a lot more fun to shoot than the super light .38SP revolvers. My wife traded a Ruger for the P238 because the Ruger LCR hurt her hand (she and I are both 70). The P238 doesn't. I told her I'd buy her any gun she is willing to shoot and carry. We've been through several, the final choice seems to be the P238.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1959 View Post
    With your reasoning, we should all drive big SUV'S, or trucks because you would be safer in an accident.
    With your reasoning we should all be driving Smart Cars and Mini Coopers. No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by true grit View Post
    7 in of penetration is enough to hit the heart and I shoot the P238 very well. I use it as a BUG to my 45. A 9mm BUG would just be too heavy for pocket carry. I also have a S&W J frame 13oz that I sometimes use if I have deep front pockets. Its probably better to have a 380 than no BUG.
    I always have my .45 and P238. .45 in Glove Box or briefcase when warmer.
    Exercise your 2nd amendment rights....not doing so jeopardizes that right for everyone.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    It all has to do with the holster you choose IMO. For the longest time I thought I couldn't conceal a larger gun such the G19 shown below, but with a good holster from Simply Rugged with removable IWB straps it's now more comfortable than both of my other carry guns, a CM9 and LCP, which now only get used during the summer and when I'm in formal attire.

IMG_0714[1].jpgIMG_0717[1].jpg
    Philly Boy likes this.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    It's pretty obvious you've never fired a SIG-SAUER P238 (or the Colt Mustang which it's a licensed copy of). The P238 is just plain fun to shoot (my wife who is a total recoil phobe loves to shoot hers), remarkably accurate, beautifuly made, has excellent sights with tritium night site inserts standard, a decent single action trigger, and is very easy to conceal. As far as the .380 being unproven, the .380 was used for decades in Europe as a police round in the Walther Police Pistol line.
    Fitch
    With all due respect, anyone who would spend $500 on a .380 better be gung ho in their accolades. You can get so much more for so much less. I'm not even going to debate .38sp v .380 effectiveness with you. It's all been well documented. And not by European police. I simply don't choose weapons based upon convenience and concealability. Effectiveness is my bag. You fool yourself if you think you can pull out whatever you carry, make it go POP, and have the BG fold like a house of cards.

VIP Member
    How about we all stop driving and start walking to get fit. Lots of armchair action in here. Popcorn, who has the popcorn?
    NavyAirdale likes this.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I carry my Glock 26 under any T Shirt in the summer with no printing at all. Even with the fitted shirts and TShirts now in fad.

I had a Bersa .380, it was a nice gun but I could not hit anything with it. Now I have a LCP for about a year now and only have carried it twice. I just don't like the .380 cartridge much. The recoil is too snappy for me. I however have no problem with any 9mm or even with my 10mm.
    Philly Boy likes this.

Popcorn? Make mine Orville Reddenbacher and, oh yeah, I think I'll have some Kool-Aid with that! And as my old physics prof. used to say when the class got too rowdy:" Boys, boys( all male H.S.), come to the party!" Let's be nice to each other, shall we?
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I have had many debates and arguments on this very subject and still believe that the .380 round is an ineffective round for self defense. Therefore, no matter what it takes I choose to carry nothing smaller than 9mm. I don't care what kind of gun one chooses to carry, IMO, if it is not adaquate for self defense, why carry it.
    I carry an adaquate caliber in any manner that I can, any season. If I have to wear pants in summer to dress around an adaquate caliber handgun, that is what I will do. In fact, that is what I do. I carry my G30 or G23 in a kholster always because it is an adaquate caliber that I can handle and shoot well.
    I have shot many .380s and 9mm and to me the recoil difference is not an issue.
    As for the .45 vs 10mm debate. I bought the G30 (.45) and a 10mm Storm Lake conversion barrel with 10mm mags. I love the 10mm and they shoot awesome through my G30.

To recap: I do not carry .380 because I feel that it is an inadequate round for self defense. I do not let my clothes dictate what I carry to save my life and that of my family. I am 5'11" 165 and I can conceal my G23 in shorts and a tshirt, suit, or parka. I don't see why anyone my size can't conceal any of the smaller 9mm's or why they wouldn't want to, but that is just my opinion. By all means, carry what you think you have to..... I do.
    zonker1986 and Yankeejib like this.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

with all of the small 9mm's that have come out in the last year, the .380 just makes no sense to me. Well documented (FBI even calls it a very poor choice for self defense) to be an anemic fight stopping round, and IMO should never be carried as a primary weapon. The Smith & Wesson Bodyguard, and the SIG P238 are both really nice little guns. I will consider them when they are released in at least a 9mm version. Until then.....not interested....their high price tag does not make the bullet move faster or have any greater effect on the bad guy than if it was shot out of a Keltec 3AT.
    For everyone that stands by their claim that a .380 is a good choice, carry on. You're a stubborn licensed CCW'er, and not gonna change your mind, nor do I care to do so. After all when the SHTF.....you are the one that is going to have to defend your life and possibly the lives of those you love with your little "9mm Short".....not me. Good luck to you.
    AZJD1968 likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

eb
    I figure carrying anything is certainly better than nothing. When I carry my TCP .380 though, I'll admit I feel like I have a squirt gun in comparison to the XD 45 I normally carry.

Something I always consider about my choice of carry is the gun actually being recognizable as a gun. I figure if I ever have to pull the thing, it can't hurt for it to actually LOOK like a gun, with a big-ass hole in the end of it. I could totally see pulling that tiny 380 and someone not being 100% sure what exactly it is, or not thinking much of it. That XD 45 looks like a serious weapon in comparison. I want all the intimidation factor I can have, to hopefully prevent having to actually pull the trigger. To each his own, just something I think about...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links