small carry conceal handguns. 9mm or .380 , Why you carry one over the other ?

This is a discussion on small carry conceal handguns. 9mm or .380 , Why you carry one over the other ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When I first started carrying, I thought a .380 ACP was all the gun I would ever need for self defense, home defense, or whatever. ...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: small carry conceal handguns. 9mm or .380 , Why you carry one over the other ?

When I first started carrying, I thought a .380 ACP was all the gun I would ever need for self defense, home defense, or whatever. So, I bought a Walther PPK/S and carried it for a while. It's small, easy to conceal...the perfect gun.

After spending some time on this forum, my opinion changed about a lot of things. While the .380 may be adequate for my needs, I don't want to chance it. If and when I ever need to defend myself, I want something I feel will get the job done.

So now, I carry a .45 ACP Kimber that is within fractions of an inch of having the same dimensions as the PPK/S thanks to the liberal use of alloy. It costs over twice as much as the Walther, but I feel it's worth it. For home defense, I now have a .223 carbine and eight 30 rd magazines.

If I hang around this forum long enough, I'll probably have ICBM's in silos in the back yard.
    AZJD1968 likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    If I hang around this forum long enough, I'll probably have ICBM's in silos in the back yard.
    LOL ! I hear ya ! Theres some pretty strong persuaders that hang around these parts.
    EsCrasston likes this.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Mr. Deadguy

"Did you/are you claiming that"; an expanding bullet, as it expands, gives you more penetration? Am I reading into that right? I would think that as a bullet expands and gets wider and the, what do they call them talons ??, start to spread out it would start to slow the bullet down ?? and its penetration would start to slow/diminish also? Like say a FMJ will penetrate deeper that a JHP because the FMJ will not expand, where a JHP will expand so it might not penetrate as deep?

Quote Originally Posted by artz View Post
    LOL ! I hear ya ! Theres some pretty strong persuaders that hang around these parts.
    It's all good. There's a lot of people with quite a bit of experience that hang out here.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    When I first started carrying, I thought a .380 ACP was all the gun I would ever need for self defense, home defense, or whatever. So, I bought a Walther PPK/S and carried it for a while. It's small, easy to conceal...the perfect gun.

After spending some time on this forum, my opinion changed about a lot of things. While the .380 may be adequate for my needs, I don't want to chance it. If and when I ever need to defend myself, I want something I feel will get the job done.

So now, I carry a .45 ACP Kimber that is within fractions of an inch of having the same dimensions as the PPK/S thanks to the liberal use of alloy. It costs over twice as much as the Walther, but I feel it's worth it. For home defense, I now have a .223 carbine and eight 30 rd magazines.

Thank you sir! I am one that believes that .380 is an inadequate caliber for self defense and I post that fact here often. You just proved to me that I havn't been wasting my time! I will admit though that I think ICBM's are a bit much. :-)
    Yankeejib and zonker1986 like this.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Quote Originally Posted by AZJD1968 View Post
    Thank you sir! I am one that believes that .380 is an inadequate caliber for self defense and I post that fact here often. You just proved to me that I havn't been wasting my time! I will admit though that I think ICBM's are a bit much. :-)
    I think you are an undercover .357 and .45 ammunition dealer trying to convert people to your calibers so you can make $$$!!! ;)
    AZJD1968 likes this.
    ”The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.”
    ~James Earl Jones

XD40 Service - XD9 Subcompact - Range Officer - M&P9 Pro - M&P40 Compact - P238

eb
    My main issue with the .380, is that these days there are 9's that are pretty close in size. I started out carrying smallish 9's and eventually went to a much larger 45 for carry. Its all about the holster really. I'd rather carry 10 rounds of 45 than 5 or 6 rounds of .380 or 9mm anymore. Its a personal choice, and I'm willing to deal with the larger gun, for the sense of security in the end.

I really believe that a carry gun being instantly recognizable as a gun, and being as menacing looking as possible, may also provide some level of deterrent. If you were trying to rob me and I drew down on you with my TCP 380, vs my XD 45, which one is more likely to be identified right away... and which one looks like it means more business, etc. The TCP looks like a toy in comparison. Just a personal preference. I'll leave the "stopping power" debate to others. Any gun is better than no gun, but if I ever have to be in a gunfight, I want a big-ass gun.

I have a big gun. Para's GI Expert .45acp.
    I admit.....its heavy loaded up. I know I don't have the right holster for my comfort, so the 'stang goes in a back pocket pistol cocked and locked (yes, one is in the pipe), and access is PDQ. Plus in the front pocket, theres NAA's mini revolver in .22 mag...just in case.
    Played right, crooks would think you are accessing your back pocket for your wallet. SURPRISE !!!!!
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eb View Post
    Any gun is better than no gun, but if I ever have to be in a gunfight, I want a big-ass gun.
    That is AWESOME! Can I use it as my tagline?!! :-)
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

eb
    Quote Originally Posted by AZJD1968 View Post
    That is AWESOME! Can I use it as my tagline?!! :-)
    lol yeah I don't have any copyrights.

Quote Originally Posted by EsCrasston View Post
    I think you are an undercover .357 and .45 ammunition dealer trying to convert people to your calibers so you can make $$$!!! ;)
    no, he's just from Texas.....and we all know that EVERYTHING....well not everythng is always bigger in Texas.
    Plus he just wants to make sure that everyone makes it home at the end of whatever they do all day. Texas Tough Love.
    AZJD1968 likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Force = Mass X Acceleration
    .380: 85 grain X 854 ft/sec = 72,590 whatever the force units are here.
    .38sp: 125 grain X 1140 ft/sec = 142,500 whatever the force units are here.
    9mm: 147 gr X 1134 ft/sec = 166,690 whatever the force units are here.
    .40: 165 grain X 1154 ft/sec= 190,410 whatever the force units are here.
    .45: 200 grain X 936 ft/sec = 187,200 whatever the force units are here.
    .22LR: 40 grain X 988 ft/sec= 39,520 force units
    AZJD1968 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
    Mr. Deadguy

"Did you/are you claiming that"; an expanding bullet, as it expands, gives you more penetration? Am I reading into that right? I would think that as a bullet expands and gets wider and the, what do they call them talons ??, start to spread out it would start to slow the bullet down ?? and its penetration would start to slow/diminish also? Like say a FMJ will penetrate deeper that a JHP because the FMJ will not expand, where a JHP will expand so it might not penetrate as deep?
    Not saying that at all. Bullets will lose velocity as they expand due to friction with tissue and drag. If the bullet doesn't have enough weight and/or velocity it wont effectively penetrate deep enough to hit vital organs as it expands.

This is the basis for every argument regarding SD ammunition. Is it fast enough, heavy enough, big enough? Does it expand enough, penetrate enough or over penetrate?

Your thoughts are spot on.
    Yankeejib and AZJD1968 like this.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    And my personal favorite:
    10mm: 200 grain X 1325fps=265,000 units of "oh snap".
    AZJD1968 and zonker1986 like this.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    Force does equal mass x acceleration, but the ft/sec figures you used were not acceleration. They are velocity. Acceleration is the rate of change in velocity. You actually calculated the momentum of the bullet.
    10thmtn likes this.
    ”The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.”
    ~James Earl Jones

XD40 Service - XD9 Subcompact - Range Officer - M&P9 Pro - M&P40 Compact - P238

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Links