small carry conceal handguns. 9mm or .380 , Why you carry one over the other ?

small carry conceal handguns. 9mm or .380 , Why you carry one over the other ?

This is a discussion on small carry conceal handguns. 9mm or .380 , Why you carry one over the other ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I prefer the .380 over the nine. I'll tell you my reason....the ability to control the weapon under stress and duress. I can take my ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: small carry conceal handguns. 9mm or .380 , Why you carry one over the other ?

Cool small carry conceal handguns. 9mm or .380 , Why you carry one over the other ?

I prefer the .380 over the nine.
    I'll tell you my reason....the ability to control the weapon under stress and duress.
    I can take my single action mustang and triple / quadriple tap accurately on one or more attackers, while I'll get myself killed using my Kahr CW9. You just can't squeeze off rounds as quick nor as accurate as the mustang, due to recoil and trigger type.
    Yes, its an old argument but its sure fun to read what others say on the subject.

If your a fan of either round, Lets hear your point of view !
    Philly Boy likes this.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

I am sort of. I like the .355 inch bullet which both the .380 and 9mm are. I just like having a .40 size case behind it:) If .380 is what works for you, wonderful. My Wife just bought a Bersa Thunder .380 because that is what she can handle. Her Bersa is a real nice gun to shoot.

Follow up shots are easy with the .380. I've only shot a 9mm once and that wasn't bad either for follow up shots. My G33 in .357 Sig does bite a bit but with the grip extension, recoil and follow up shots are easily manageable for me.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

Hi and welcome Aaron !
    Iffen we take that route of an even larger handgun and caliber (such as your glock 33 in .357 sig.) I would also prefer my 1911 .45acp.
    But keeping the thread on the smaller guns and calibers (.380 and nine), preferably the guns that you can conceal well on your body because you ain't gonna conceal a glock as well as a colt mustang nor Kahr cw9. Unless your 10 feet tall and weigh in at a good 500 lbs plus.

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Interesting.

Some information on the .380 ACP:

"Many small, easily concealed semi-automatic pistols which are recommended for law enforcement backup or concealed carry use fire .380 ACP or smaller bullets. While these small caliber handgun bullets can produce fatal wounds, they are less likely to produce the rapid incapacitation necessary in law enforcement or self-defense situations.

Handguns chambered in .380 ACP are small, compact, and generally easy to carry. Unfortunately, testing has shown that they offer inadequate performance for self-defense and for law enforcement use whether on duty as a back-up weapon or for off duty carry. The terminal performance of .380 ACP JHP's is often erratic, with inadequate penetration and inconsistent expansion being common problems, while .380 ACP FMJ's offer adequate penetration, but no expansion. All of the .380 ACP JHP loads we have tested, including CorBon, Hornady, Federal, Remington, Speer, and Winchester exhibited inconsistent, unacceptable terminal performance for law enforcement back-up and off duty self-defense use due to inadequate penetration or inadequate expansion. Stick with FMJ for .380 ACP or better yet, don't use it at all. The use of .380 ACP and smaller caliber weapons is really not recommended for LE use and many savvy agencies prohibit them."

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I can accurately fire four +P shots from a concealed draw at 4 O'Clock in 1.95 seconds with a Glock 19. I can do it in exactly the same amount of time with a Glock 26 w/ pinky extension. I can't see how I could shoot any faster with a .380 being that I'm not focusing on the front sight after the first shot anyways, nor would I ever say that the 9mm has enough recoil to greatly affect double, triple, quadruple tap accuracy with the proper fundamentals.

Also, I'd much rather carry 9mm JHPs which penetrate just as well as .380 FMJs and expand to double their original diameter. Cutting tissue is always better than crushing tissue.

"Anyone yet unconvinced of the fallacy in using kinetic energy alone to measure wounding capacity might wish to consider the example of a modern broadhead hunting arrow. It is used to kill all species of big game, yet its striking energy is only about 50 ft-lb (68 Joules)-- less than that of the .22 Short bullet. Energy is used efficiently by the sharp blade of the broadhead arrow. Cutting tissue is far more efficient than crushing it, and crushing it is far more efficient than tearing it apart by stretch (as in temporary cavitation)."

Source: http://rkba.org/research/fackler/wrong.html
    Rhcmlc, Mike1956 and Rockymonster like this.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by artz View Post
    But keeping the thread on the smaller guns and calibers (.380 and nine), preferably the guns that you can conceal well on your body because you ain't gonna conceal a glock as well as a colt mustang nor Kahr cw9. Unless your 10 feet tall and weigh in at a good 500 lbs plus.
    Really?

I've been carrying for nearly three years now, and none of my friends know that I do, and I conceal a Glock 19 and S&W Bodyguard .380 every single day. I'm 6'1, 195 lbs, FWIW.

I know a guy that is 5'7, 145 lbs. soaking wet, and he conceals a full size Glock 17. I've never noticed any printing either.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Nothing wrong with the .380 IMO, but compared to the 9mm it comes up a little short.

I sometimes carry one of my .380's, but mostly during the summer months and more recently before my last couple of Kahr purchases. I find that I'm much more accurate with one of my Kahrs over most all of my .380's with the exception being my PPK. While I feel the .380 can get the job done easily if the shooter can put the round where it needs to go, IMO the 9mm round does it better due to horsepower and larger grain bullet. As to the trigger, I agree it's hard to compete with the SA trigger, but IMO the Kahr is about as good as it gets for a DAO autoloader. I have four of um and am still impressed every time I take one to the range.

Bottom line for me is a simple one.. My Kahr K9 and E9 are roughly the same size as my PPK, and my PM40 is actually smaller is some areas. The weight is maybe a fraction more, but I get one extra round, or two if I run the extended mag and 9mm HP and ballistics behind it. IMO, the Kahr is a better shooter than the PPK due to the ergonomics and absolutely perfect trigger system. MO, but anytime you can go up in a caliber and stay pretty much in the same size range, you are looking at a win win, but again, nothing with the .380 especially with the modern .380 bullet design and ballistics. To each his, or her own I say.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    My LCP is a very good BUG or deep concealment weapon. In most cases, I am using it as a BUG to support a .45. On those occassions when I have to use it as a primary weapon, I am not uncomfortable. I prefer the .45, but don't feel undergunned with the LCP.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Hello AZ Hawk ! Well.....A glock 17 isn't a small handgun. I realize there are different flavors for different folks, but this thread is based on the "small' conceal handguns (thats just my personal preference).
    If I was an LEO in a big (read....dangerous) city. The .380 would be a part of my aresenal, but of course It would be part of three back-up guns on duty and three concealed on me out in town, depending how I am dressed.
    I use the .380 as a conceal surprise gun. We are talking 10 to 8 ft. and less for swift attack need be. Not shooting out past 10 yards, etc.
    I am sure that the 5'7' 145 lb. guy can conceal that full size model 19 with the right holster and clothes. Put that glock on him if hes in jeans, t-shirt, and tennis shoes and I'll bust him. Winter gear is just the opposite. Even I don't use the .380 as a primary during heavy coat season. It just makes no sense. I'll carry a .45 or at least a .38 when its that cold, and yes.... the .380 will be there.

BTW hawk, I am impressed that you can do that 4 shots under 2 seconds. I used to be able to do a triple tap with my para LDA .45 and stay on target. Unfortunately I don't practice as much as I used to. The funds are not there and I don't reload.
    Job opportunities suck here in my part of the world.

Yeah....shoulda clarified that 10 ft. 500 lb statement I wrote. That goes back to jeans, T, and tennies. But you are correct. Clothing and holster makes a difference in concealment.
    I'm not arrogant nor ignorant, LOL ! ..... I have just been up all night due to insomnia. :o
    AZ Hawk likes this.

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

I carry both but depending on what I'm wearing and where I'm going I much prefer the 9mm over the 380. I'm much more accurate with my Glock 26 than I am with my TCP 738. 9mm +P is a giant step up from 380.

I'ts a bit of a quandary. I like the light weight and ultra conceal-ability of the little 380's. But I like the firepower and shoot-ability of my Glock.

Plainly put, I will carry the largest gun I can. And the largest caliber I can competently shoot.
    Question Everything!

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Want to defend yourself competently? Want to minimize your inability to shoot straight because of recoil? Want capacity? It may be full size and it may be costly but I have an FN 5.7x28 that does it all. You can argue price and size but please do not argue lethality and lo recoil--if this was true, secret service, many police depts foreign and domestic, drug dealers and cartel BGs, etal would not be fooling around with it.

I have to agree with you kelcarry. I fondled with one some years back when they came out. I would have loved to have one with plenty of ammo, but at that time they were too pricey for me, and most likely still is !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by artz View Post
    I prefer the .380 over the nine.
    I'll tell you my reason....the ability to control the weapon under stress and duress.
    I can take my single action mustang and triple / quadriple tap accurately on one or more attackers, while I'll get myself killed using my Kahr CW9. You just can't squeeze off rounds as quick nor as accurate as the mustang, due to recoil and trigger type.
    Yes, its an old argument but its sure fun to read what others say on the subject.

If your a fan of either round, Lets hear your point of view !
    Actually your thread has nothing to do with caliber. It has to due with the difference between SA and DA trigger function. If it were truly caliber based, you could shoot the Kahr P380 with the same speed and accuracy as the Colt Mustang.
    Old School and beararms like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Actually your thread has nothing to do with caliber. It has to due with the difference between SA and DA trigger function. If it were truly caliber based, you could shoot the Kahr P380 with the same speed and accuracy as the Colt Mustang.
    I adore the little mustang, and yes, the s/a trigger function is prefered, along with the steel frame.
    One thing is true, we can't stuff the 9mm round in the lil' colt, or otherwise, I would be picking on the .40 s&w folks.

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Personally I now carry .380 as it has been an easy Summer Gun. I've posted earlier that I recently added an LED to my Glock 17 to make it a good (better) HD gun for dealing with intruders at night. I'm 5'10" and 200# and had no real problem pullinng off the G17 before I added the accessories with the right holster and shirt or jacket. I like to carry at 3:30 or 4 o'clock and both hide well.

I am convinced that the 9mm would be my choice to carry over the .380 but do enjoy how more easily concealed the walther ppk can be.

Darren

Carry what your happy with. I have a Colt Mustang and a Glock27. My 2 small carries. I can shoot the Glock pretty fast and accurate. Maybe not as fast as the Colt but pretty close. But I shoot them both alot. I like my Mustang. Prefered carry when it's hot anyways. The .380 isn't consided ad defence weapon because it's not rated at 12" penetration. I belive it's only 7". But I wouldn't want a bullet to go inside me 7" deep. I like the .380 but I would rather carry a 9mm. I'm waiting for the Sig 938 to come out in 2012. The Sigs big brother :). I usually carry my Glock because I like the round count also.I carry 11+1 and a extra mag(s). Especially in the cooler weather.JMHO

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links