Need help with decision!!??

This is a discussion on Need help with decision!!?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay here is the short and skinny of the story...my brother wants to trade me a kimbers ultra carry for my full size dark earth ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Need help with decision!!??

Okay here is the short and skinny of the story...my brother wants to trade me a kimbers ultra carry for my full size dark earth m&p. 45 with trijicons. Mine has about 700 rounds through it and his has about the same...he sent me a pic yesterday and it's a little rough looking believe it or not. The finish just doesn't look as good as my m&p. I just looked around and I found these for about $770 on line so its not seeming like a good deal. Also I kinda told myself I would NEVER get rid of my guns....trade or sale unless I Hated one. So what say you? Some more experienced help would be great. I just don't want to look back 5 years down the road and regret it. Plus its a short 1911????

Its a tough call. Sound like you already know the answer. You like the m&p and don't want to get rid of it.

I like 1911's, but when I bought one for carry it seemed like an involved process. Had to find the right ammo to feed, the right magazines, etc. Not to mention it has no night sights, and has a rough finish. The money to address these issues could go towards another 1911.

With as many 1911's as there are I see no reason to get the one that's around. Get the one you know you want instead.
    I was looking at kimber and ended up with a Springfield loaded government model with parkerized finish. Nightsights, Beavetail, and all that good stuff for $725.

Keep your M&P.
    In my opinion,,,if you want to carry a 45, carry one that is full size, you will have less reliability issues.
    Spec likes this.
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

Zeppelin03....thanks a lot for the advice. You are absolutley correct about them bieng finicky. I bought my first ever 1911 not long ago...a ruger sr1911. I love it and have no regrets. My whole thing is this, I wasn't wanting to get one before yesterday so why get rid of a GREAT fully reliable gun in order to get a different nice one? I geuss I get star struck by the "it's a kimber!!" Thing .....thanks for the reality check!

That's what I also was concerned about with the "compact. 45" . My full size runs like a raped ape and I love it

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Short slide 1911s can be tempermental without a firm grip. I wouldn't make any decision without an extensive range session.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I had the same problem at the gun shop yesterday. They had a colt police positive in .22lr. I want to say for $400. Smooth action and the barrel looked new. Minor wear with a holster.

Very tempting. But I have to hold out for now. Buy what I really want when I can.

Also, keep in mind that the person who suggests the trade sees an obvious or at least potential outcome in THEIR favor. He might not be trying to pull one over on you but it's obvious from your comments that you've thought it through and see that you already have the better of the two for your needs.

Darren

VIP Member
    I would not trade an equipped M&P for a bare bones Kimber.

Okemo ...I agree. I also stated this last night with the chief (wife) and she agreed. You guys are a great help and voice of reason. It's almost like those people I see at the store. There is a sale on something so because its 3 for 3 and you only need one you still get the three and spend more money. Just because its on sale don't mean I have to buy it.

Keep your gun and stick to your own rules of not getting rid of guns, I do not sell or trade my guns, if you want a Kimber, save your money n go buy one, then you will have both. But sounds like you know what you need to do, so stick to your guns......besides what happens if you get the Kimber and hate it, i know i will get flack for that comment but Kimbers are just not for everone,escpecially compact 1911s. Is all personal preferance. I love a 1911, but only have full size, so cannot speak on a compact model.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Why get a pig in a poke ? You know what I mean ?
    " The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson

Administrator
    Prior to him offering the trade, was a ultra or micro 1911 on your radar screen? If not, why are you considering it now? There's your answer...
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Prior to him offering the trade, was a ultra or micro 1911 on your radar screen? If not, why are you considering it now? There's your answer...
    EMP fits the bill very nicely.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    I wouldn't Trade an M&P for anything. Except Two or more other M&P's.... Keep the one you have. The M&P is a very reliable .45 and is just a plastic version of a 1911 anyways...didn't you know?
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links