HK USP safety variants?

HK USP safety variants?

This is a discussion on HK USP safety variants? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For those of you who own or have fired( or anyone else with opinion on the matter), which is the ideal setup for CC with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HK USP safety variants?

HK USP safety variants?

For those of you who own or have fired( or anyone else with opinion on the matter), which is the ideal setup for CC with this weapon?

USP VARIANTS

Variant 1 DA/SA with control lever (safety/decocking lever) on left Variant 2 DA/SA with control lever (safety/decocking lever) on right Variant 3 DA/SA with control lever (decocking lever) on left
    Variant 4 DA/SA with control lever (decocking lever) on right
    Variant 5 DAO with control lever (safety lever) on left
    Variant 6 DAO with control lever (safety lever) on right
    Variant 7 DAO with no control lever
    Variant 9 DA/SA with control lever (safety lever) on left
    Variant 10 DA/SA with control lever (safety lever) on right
    HK USP .45
    HK P2000sk .40

Senior Moderator
    I like Variant 1 myself.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Kurt - Shotgun Willie,

I think it is really a matter of personal preference. However, I have spent most of my life shooting 1911's so I really prefer a single action trigger. IMHO - Variants 1 or 2 make the best carry gun. For the following reasons:

1. You can carry the gun cocked/locked

2. I personally think that decocking levers are a very useful tool and cut down on the incidence of accidental discharges

3. You also get the ability to carry the gun hammer down for those that don't feel comfortable carrying cocked/locked

I didn't consider Variants 5 - 7 because personally I'm not a fan of DAO (even though I do love my Kahr). Likewise, I didn't consider Variants 9 or 10 due to the fact that they don't have a decocking lever.

With all that said, the HK is a great weapon. I feel that the ergonomics and the out of the box accuracy are excellent. It is an easy pistol to clean and gets pretty high marks on trigger pull.

Lastly, for me the only real downside to the weapon is the size. Even with the USP compact, it is still a pretty big pistol. Warm weather can make it tough to carry. Galco does make a good concealable holster though and it is still my go-to gun.

Good luck in your search!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Variants 1 or 2. I have 1 and open carry with it like that. From what I have heard locally, DAO makes some people nervous.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Lead Moderator
    Variant 2 for me(LH shooter) . I like th option of C'N'L or DA/SA .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Whatever variant the LEM trigger is. No fussing w/ decocking or transition from DA to SA. No manual safety.

i prefer variant 3. decock, no safety.

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    I have two with Varient 1. This gives me a choice of cocked and locked, with all shots single action, or with hammer down and first shot double action, then the rest single action. I don't have a problem with the decocker. Hope this helps.

I have a Compact 40 cal in Variant 1............you may carry in condition 1 as a 1911 style, or utilize it as a safety/ decocker..........works well for me ....
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

I'm going to convert my V1 to V9. I shoot with my thumb riding on top of the safety and sometimes I will accidentally decock it. Getting rid of the decocker will allow me to grip more securely.

I carry a full size USP IWB. Sometimes, I only use a T-shirt for cover. It's not too big to hide.

Variant 2 for me(LH shooter) but i would like to try out Variant 10

which is the ideal setup for CC with this weapon?
    There is no ideal anything. There are different choices. My choices may not work for you.

I find the double-action trigger on the USP to be too heavy, with too much stacking near the break. So for me, as a righty, I prefer variant 9. Other people have different preferences. That doesn't make them right and me wrong, or vice versa.

Thanks for the input guys. I like the fact that I can change the variant if I dont like what I purchase, which is a nice option on a pricey gun.

The next questions I have are, what is the price to change the variant, would I be able to do that if needed or is a gunsmith is required? Anybody have any answers on those?
    HK USP .45
    HK P2000sk .40

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun Willie View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. I like the fact that I can change the variant if I dont like what I purchase, which is a nice option on a pricey gun.

The next questions I have are, what is the price to change the variant, would I be able to do that if needed or is a gunsmith is required? Anybody have any answers on those?
    I would recommend letting a gunsmith do it, and prices will vary for this type of work depending on where you live
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

VIP Member
    My USPc is DA/SA with ambidextrous decocker. I carry it decocked with safety off, but I like the option of carrying cocked n' locked if I want.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links