Kahr CM9 and CW9 trigger reviews needed

This is a discussion on Kahr CM9 and CW9 trigger reviews needed within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So yesterday at the range my eye was caught by two Kahr's sitting next to each other. I have been looking for a secondary carry ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Kahr CM9 and CW9 trigger reviews needed

So yesterday at the range my eye was caught by two Kahr's sitting next to each other. I have been looking for a secondary carry gun that is a little thinner than my M&P compact for when I want the deepest concealment.

Both triggers felt very LONG, but smooth. Very revolver like. I did not get to shoot one though. For those that have them, what can I expect with the trigger? For reference, I feel like the trigger on my M&P (which is stock) is perfect for carry.

Thoughts? Cause at $400 new for either of these, I am in "buy" mode. But don't want a terrible trigger.

Honestly, the trigger feels the same with every pull whether there is a round chambered or not. It is smooth and predictable with a distinct feel just before the trigger breaks and releases the firing pin. Once you get used to it staging the first shot becomes second nature. The only real drawback to the trigger design is that it has a very long reset. Each shot must begin with the trigger almost fully reset back to start. Once again, with practice this isn't an issue. The slides on these guns is very tight when you first buy it. They tend to take a few hundred rounds to really seat in and function smoothly. QC has been hit and miss with them and I had to send my CW9 back multiple times before it finally worked. Mine ended up having a mis-machined slide. My MK9 has been 100% as was my PM40.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    I have 2 Kahr's and love the smooth DA trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbabbler View Post
    Honestly, the trigger feels the same with every pull whether there is a round chambered or not. It is smooth and predictable with a distinct feel just before the trigger breaks and releases the firing pin. Once you get used to it staging the first shot becomes second nature. The only real drawback to the trigger design is that it has a very long reset. Each shot must begin with the trigger almost fully reset back to start. Once again, with practice this isn't an issue. The slides on these guns is very tight when you first buy it. They tend to take a few hundred rounds to really seat in and function smoothly. QC has been hit and miss with them and I had to send my CW9 back multiple times before it finally worked. Mine ended up having a mis-machined slide. My MK9 has been 100% as was my PM40.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    I have 2 Kahr's and love the smooth DA trigger.
    Thank you too!

I find the long constant smooth trigger a plus.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I also love the trigger of a nice sa BUT I carry ether a cm9 or cw9. You practic with your carry gun till it becomes natural. I shoot other handguns all the time BUT I finish every time with the kahr I am carry'n with 25 to 30 rounds. I have carried a DA revolver for 20 years and now kahr pistols. they feel very close to the same and come natural to me. One thing you do not want to do is change what you carry thru the year. Large or small in the same line of handgun but not a 1911 and then a stricker fired pistol. Not your M&P and then a kahr. Make it one or the other for carry.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    All my carry guns have a similar trigger, granted the Kahr is the best.

Kahr MK9
    Kahr PM9
    S&W 642

So I guess I agree with hardluk1... although my bedside handgun is a Sprinfield Armory XDM 9mm for increased capacity.

Very smooth and long as stated...took me some getting used to but I can put them on taget now.

eb
    I have multiple Kahrs and the triggers are pretty much identical. Its longish but smooth and consistent. I don't mind it at all. If I carry my CW45, I use a hybrid IWB holster with a kydex body around the gun though. That trigger is sweet... almost too sweet for my tastes. I like to make sure it has a good guard around it.

Interesting. Yea, I like the Kahr and think I might get it. For those who have shot the smaller gripped CM9 (my pinky hangs off) is it an issue for you? Unlike my M&P that particular gun feels like it is "falling forward" in my hand a bit. Just curious if that makes it hard to hang on to when shooting.

But the longer grip of the CW9 looks like it would be less concealable than my M&P and that was the whole point of buying it, something a little more concealable.

eb
    I had to put the Pearce pinky extensions on my MK9 mags, or they were too small for me.

The only complaint I have about the Kahrs, is they are the worst guns I own to disassemble/reassemble. Sometimes it goes smooth, sometimes I fight with the thing for a few minutes. This happens on both the MK9 and CW45. Maybe I'm a dummy or something, but I don't have this problem with any of the variety of other guns I have... After my most recent struggle trying to reassemble my CW45, I actually swore off the brand, lol. I like the ones I have, but I'm done.

I've got a CW9 and a K40, and the triggers are nearly identical. Longish pull, to be sure, but more consistent than my Glock with respect to knowing where the trigger will break during the stroke. The best comparison I can make is that's similar to a K-frame revolver I have with a factory DAO trigger.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I agree with the other Kahr owners (I have 3). The triggers are long but butter smooth and very consistent from gun to gun. I have had no problems with my CW9, CM9 or CW45.

I have had a Kahr CM9 for a month or so now and I love it. It has a great trigger IMO...and I'm not a big fan of DAO. It's a very smooth trigger. Here's a good Kahr CM9 Review if you're interested.

Granted I've only shot ~350 rounds so far, but I've been very happy.

I have and carry both a CW9 and CM9. The triggers did take some time and practice to become comfortable to shoot. The CM9 conceals the best because of the shorter grip. The CW9 is easer to shoot well and I prefer it as my favorite carry pistol. The triggers are so similar I can not tell them apart. Kahr has the best double action triggers I have shot! If you buy and shoot a Kahr it will take over first place as your carry pistol.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links