Stupid question but I must have missed someting.

This is a discussion on Stupid question but I must have missed someting. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am seeing pistol used to describe auto guns and revolver describing wheel guns. When did pistol start meaning a semi-auto hand gun? I thout ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Stupid question but I must have missed someting.

Stupid question but I must have missed someting.

I am seeing pistol used to describe auto guns and revolver describing wheel guns. When did pistol start meaning a semi-auto hand gun? I thout the word pistol refered to a hand held held gun with out a stock. . Please clear this up for me. Thanks
    In a gun fight, you can not miss fast enough, to catch up.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Pistol - a gun held & fired by one hand, with a chamber that is permanently aligned with the rifled bore.
    In recent years, the word pistol has been used more & more to describe semiautomatic pistols in contrast to revolvers or sixguns.
    The Firearms Dictionary, R.A. Steindler, Stackpole Books, 1970
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Yeah, a true "pistol" is an auto. Handgun would cover both semi auto's and revolvers.

Quote Originally Posted by Okemo View Post
    Yeah, a true "pistol" is an auto.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight
    Incorrect!

Single shot handguns would also be considered "pistols".
    But only a beet farmer that lives with his mother would get bent out of shape if you called a revolver a pistol.

Mixing up "magazine" and "clip" however, now that's a different story....

Your missing the 'H' in something.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Well, seeing as how "ACP", as in .45acp, means "Automatic Colt Pistol", then I would say 'pistol' has been used to describe autos for more than 100 years now.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    Well, seeing as how "ACP", as in .45acp, means "Automatic Colt Pistol", then I would say 'pistol' has been used to describe autos for more than 100 years now.
    I'd say that's a bit of faulty logic---the fact that it had to be called "Automatic Colt Pistol" implies that there are pistols that are non-automatic (and non-Colt, for that matter).

Having done a bit of research on this, the origin for the word "pistol" is kind of lost in history; it is at least 500 or 600 years old, and it comes through German from either Hungarian or Italian. One popular etymology says the word for pistol comes from an Italian word for a small flute or whistle (think something like piccolo), as a description of the small tube for firing the bullet from a hand-held firearm (as opposed to the large barrel of a longarm).

As far as I am concerned, pistol simply means a firearm that can be conveniently operated with only one hand. Since at the point that the word pistol came into usage, everything was still muzzle loaded, the part of the definition quoted above about the chamber being inline with the barrel seems to be a recent modification...
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by Napa Nick View Post
    Your missing the 'H' in something.
    You're missing the "'" and "e" in "you're".
    atctimmy likes this.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    I'd say that's a bit of faulty logic---the fact that it had to be called "Automatic Colt Pistol" implies that there are pistols that are non-automatic (and non-Colt, for that matter).
    Won't argue with that a bit. My only point was that Americans have been calling them pistols for at least that long. Just using simple deductive reasoning not getting too deep into actual history. Otherwise, the round could have been named ".45ac" automatic colt, or automatic center fire or any number of other things. I am simply referring to the 1911 as being considered a pistol, nothing more.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I consider revolvers to be pistols and use the term "automatic" to describe semi-autos.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Actually the correct terminology is auto-loader :-P
    Majorlk likes this.
    Walther P99 AS full size 9mm
    Kahr P9 compact 9mm

NRA
    Michigan Sheriff's Association
    “The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.” Evan Marshall

Noun pistol - a firearm that is held and fired with one handpistol - a firearm that is held and fired with one hand
    handgun, shooting iron, side arm

automatic pistol, automatic - a pistol that will keep firing until the ammunition is gone or the trigger is released
    revolver, six-gun, six-shooter - a pistol with a revolving cylinder (usually having six chambers for bullets)
    semiautomatic, semiautomatic pistol - a pistol that is a semiautomatic firearm capable of loading and firing continuously

PISS TOLL=the fee charged to urinate in a public toilet
    msgt/ret and artz like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Yawn....
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by mel5051 View Post
    Actually the correct terminology is auto-loader :-P
    Or Self-loader.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links