Diamondback

Diamondback

This is a discussion on Diamondback within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Was offered a new diamondback 9mm pocket pistol for $345 not familiar with diamondback can anyone enlighten me with pro's and cons of this particular ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Diamondback

Diamondback

Was offered a new diamondback 9mm pocket pistol for $345 not familiar with diamondback can anyone enlighten me with pro's and cons of this particular pistol,reliability for example....thank in advance.

eb
    I do not own one, because I opted not to buy one when I was shopping around for a small 9. I couldn't find many positive reports at all, and mostly reports of issues. IMHO, for around the same $$$ you can do much better like a Keltec PF9, Ruger LC9 or Kahr CM9.

You'll want to read this..

DB380 bought from Academy: disasterous first outing

Granted it's a .380 review but it might be helpful.

my local gun store was real big on them a few months ago. Not so much now. I believe the owner told me that 8 out of the last 10 DB9's have been returned to his store for repairs. He said the first 45 they sold were fine.......just now they are crap, and a very big disappointment and has really tarnished his stores reputation for selling junk. Not sure what is going on with Diamondback, but I've heard way too many bad stories about their products to put down a few hundred on a gun that is starting to develop a really, really bad reputation.

go with a Kahr CM9, LC9, PF-9 or maybe the new Beretta Nano.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

A Kahr is a nice micro compact gun.

I bought a db9. I took it to my local gunsmith twice. Main issue is the magazine. It leads to failure. There is an update for the walking pin issue on the frame. The part shipped out to me, today.

First 200 rounds was frustrating. FTFS, FTE, double feeds, etc. I only had the one factory magazine. I brought it to my gunsmith who looked the gun over. It happens to be that the lip of the magazine was vertical towards the front and turned in towards the back. He crimped the front part to improve the feeds. I bought two boxes of ammo and I went shooting. 120 plus rounds went through without a hitch. Then I used ammo at the range. Every failure known to man. I ordered two magazines and sent it back to my local gunsmith. He fixed the magazines and only charged me for ammo that he used. Out of 150 rounds, I had about 4 failures. Marked improvement.

It takes some work on one's part and $350 plus $70+ is a lot for one gun that has less than stellar reliability out of the box. However, this genre is notable for finickiness. I'm happy with mine. I'm taking it out to try Hornady Critical Defense. If reliable, it will serve as a great backup.

I am happy I bought it. For me, in the long run, the usefulness outweighs the negativity.

Cost of the gun and ammo is no big deal for me.

Lifetime NRA Member
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Thanks for all the help it's looking like a different direction probably the kahr I'm not to big on the manual safety on the rugged lc9.

NOT GOOD a friend of mine shot one at the range once, it sucked!!!!!
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    I will be someone with a different opinion and story. I have a DB9 and like it very much and have had no problems with it with over 500+ rounds through it. Now there are some things to remember when shooting a gun this small:

1. You CAN NOT limp wrist it even the slightest as it can cause it to FTE, which is what I believe most of the problem most people are having. They do not think or are aware they are limp wristing it. Plus the recoil is very strong this is gun the size of most 380's shooting a 9mm. If you are recoil sensitive then this is not a gun for you.

2. With this being a small gun, the tolerances are very small so it can be very picky with the ammo you use. I have used WWB, Remmington, and Federal FMJ's and Federal Classic Hi-Shok (9BP) and Winchester HP's through mine without any problems.

3. This gun has a very, very strong recoil spring, if you have a weak grip or weak hand you will have a hard time racking the slide properly with enough speed. This gun does NOT have a slide stop and does NOT hold open on the last round, so reloading it with a fresh magazine you will need to rack the slide and if you ride the slide with a weak grip no producing enough speed, it will not chamber a round properly.

My opinion is that this gun gets a bad rep because most people that purchase it do not know how to correctly and properly shoot small guns and I would estimate that most of the problems that they experience or are reported are because of this. Yes there are some other problems that other people have had that needed to be repaired or corrected by people sendig it back to the manufacture, and I believe the manufacure has been very responsive and quick on these from what I have read. I have had several friends of mine that have shot guns for many years, shoot this and they all end up limp wristing it the first few times and experience FTE problems, yet when they hand it back to me I have no problems with it. This gun was designed to be the lightest and smallest 9mm defensive gun available right now and I believe the manufacture has succeeded in this. I hope this helps. God Bless
    kaboomkaboom likes this.

I have a brother-in-law who bought one of the Diamondback .380s when they first hit the market. He's had excellent luck with it. I've shot it on a couple of occasions and, in side-by-side shooting tests, liked it better than either my Kel Tec P3AT or his Ruger LCP.

I entertained the notion of trading away the P3AT for a Diamondback, mainly because the Diamondback's crummy sights were still considerably more usable than the P3AT's sights. There have been enough problems reported here on the Forum over the past couple of years concerning the Diamondback though that I'll just stick with the P3AT stinker. I don't have much need for or use for a runt .380 ACP anyway.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Keltec pf9 has done me great....I have read a LOT of bad on them....more than good

eb
    Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    1. You CAN NOT limp wrist it even the slightest as it can cause it to FTE, which is what I believe most of the problem most people are having. They do not think or are aware they are limp wristing it. Plus the recoil is very strong this is gun the size of most 380's shooting a 9mm. If you are recoil sensitive then this is not a gun for you.
    It always surprises me when people list little no limp wristing tolerance in a given gun, then go on to say its a good gun for carry purposes. In a defensive scenario, it just doesn't seem reasonable to think you're going to have the wherewithal, or the ability, to fire the gun with 2 hands or using a solid wrist hold. For me personally? No thanks, thats a disqualifier...
    franco45 likes this.

eb
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post
    Keltec pf9 has done me great....I have read a LOT of bad on them....more than good
    My PF9 has proven very reliable and it was $275. That said, its horrible to shoot, like getting stung by a bee with each shot. It carries really easily, but I've since given up on carrying small guns and think I may consign it off. I carry an XD 45 compact these days. It has not proven to be a problem to conceal or deal with.

There are no PRO'S on this gun!!!

I have one and I like it BUT...you will need to fire 200 rounds through it before the recoil spring loosens up enough to be 100% reliable, until that point you get a lot of stovepipes. Also, not all brands of JHP's will feed in this gun. Winchester PDX1 and Speer Gold Dots will not feed at all in mine, the first round in the magazine will get jammed onto the bottom of the feed ramp and it's a real pain to clear since there's no way to lock the slide back. Hornady Critical defense have been 100% for me however. One thing to note is that this gun isn't rated for +p ammo and some people (me included) have had to send their guns back to Diamondback after discovering cracks in the recoil spring "hat", which is the metal shroud that covers the recoil spring and frame set-back where the guide rod "head" (round part towards back of frame that sits on the barrel) contacts a raised part of the frame on the inside of the gun (see pics). I had fired less than 25 rounds of +p ammo through my gun before noticing these issues so be advised.

The ultra stiff recoil spring is the main culprit in my opinion, until it breaks in it's very susceptible to limp wristing and short cycling of the slide. There are more reliable, sturdier built sub-compact single stack 9's out there but they just aren't pocketable like the DB9 is and that's why I've kept mine. If you don't plan on pocket carrying then get something else but if you do plan on it, the DB9 is the only game in town.

setback.jpg setback2.jpg recoilspringhat.jpg

eb
    Quote Originally Posted by slacking View Post
    If you don't plan on pocket carrying then get something else but if you do plan on it, the DB9 is the only game in town.
    Not sure I'd go THAT far, the Kahr PM/CM9's are pretty tiny...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links