New .45 for my Better Half?

This is a discussion on New .45 for my Better Half? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need some advice. Obviously, I'm a Beretta guy, and my only 1911 experience was with my granddad's (army lifer). My wife carries the Ruger ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: New .45 for my Better Half?

I need some advice. Obviously, I'm a Beretta guy, and my only 1911 experience was with my granddad's (army lifer). My wife carries the Ruger LC9 for her CCW, and is interested in picking up either the Colt Defender or one of the Kimber line. I'm looking at getting it for her birthday in January. In which direction should I look? I personally like Wilson Arms (yeah, the 1911 is starting to grow on me, too!), but she doesn't like those as much as the Colts/Kimbers she's seen.

If you have a range that rents guns, take her there n let her shoot both, then make the decision. She definatly has good taste, good luck.
    My wife prefers a revolver, and I am happy with that decision. Whatever she is most comfortable with and will carry.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

People have a problem with this site about men picking guns for their women, but I dont. A woman likes when you make decisions for her. Their smaller brains, and lower intellect can't process the same amount of information and it makes them nervous making a decision. Go for the Kimber

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigers View Post
    People have a problem with this site about men picking guns for their women, but I dont. A woman likes when you make decisions for her. Their smaller brains, and lower intellect can't process the same amount of information and it makes them nervous making a decision. Go for the Kimber
    Pass the popcorn....
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigers View Post
    I hope the your wearing Nomex underwear, it's going to get VERY hot in a hurry!!
    NavyAirdale likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Tigers, You must have a cast iron set.
    If not.... you will ! LOL !
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

VIP Member
    Of the choices you gave I'd opt for the Colt over the Kimber. You might also want to consider the Springfield Loaded Ultra Carry.

Springfield Armory
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

How about one of the hawg series from para ordnance ? Para USA, High-Quality Handguns: Hawg Pistols
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

I agree she should pick out the one that feels the best, and shoots the best for her. I will tell you my wife carries a Kimber Ultra Carry II and loves it.

VMP

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Never ever tell the wife what she wants, althought I think the Colt is a better choice. She'll dig the cute little pony.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Sarcasm was meant.... don't get offended ladies!

VIP Member
    Get the pony.

Side story: The only pistol that my wife has ever expressed any interest in shooting was my Springer 'loaded' 1911. She shot it better than I did, that day.

I offered to just give it to her, but she declined...

I picked Colt...

I went through a similar decision about 5 years ago, debating between the 3 inch 1911s from Kimber and Colt. I went with the Colt Defender based on the weight of gun chat postings I read. The Colt seemed to have a better reputation for reliability.

My experience since then has been good, and I have over 1000 rounds through the Defender with no problems. I did tinker with the gun a bit, adding thin grip panels, a lightweight trigger, steel mainspring housing, Wilson magazines and a slide dehorning because of sharp edges on the slide. The gun is accurate and it conceals well.

ccman likes this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

My wife likes ponies best too, especially when they prance on the side of a pistol slide that also says 1911, 1911A1, or Government Model .45 Automatic.

Her very favorite configuration is the 1911A1 with arched mainspring housing and short trigger. She's a petite gal with small hands but can still handle the big Colt automatic. She may be a bigger fan than I am and that would be an accomplishment.

She picked 1911s early on without prompting from me. Even as far back as when we were dating, she'd shoot up all the .45 ACP on hand during range trips if I didn't keep an eye on it, while generally commenting: "Now, I like that one. It feels like it has some authority to it." She still prefers to take her Texas concealed carry qualification test with a 1911 and can do very well at it. I was gone from home for most of a week in November and she had a .45 out and available rather than the .38 Special revolver she generally packs these days.
    OD* likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar
    this out ta be good let me know when your done

oh buy the way ... if it were me I'd get her something that I would like to get next because if not by time she gets it home in about a week or so she will want something else

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links