Smallest, "Best", Concealable Weapon?

This is a discussion on Smallest, "Best", Concealable Weapon? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Once I have my CCW, I want a piece that will be perfect for "total concealment"; i.e.: that I can carry in my front/thigh pants ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Smallest, "Best", Concealable Weapon?

Once I have my CCW, I want a piece that will be perfect for "total concealment"; i.e.: that I can carry in my front/thigh pants cargo pocket in a soft nylon holster while at work. Keep in mind, I'm a chef, and that I'll get sweaty, greasy, and wet--at least part of the time. I'm the boss, but I'll still have to put time in on the cooking line.

I'm looking at the S & W .380 Bodyguard w/ laser (which I'm not convinced is the caliber for me, being too small), and the new Beretta Nano (a 9 mm, but is :) 1) ugly, 2) bulky, 3) w/o an external hammer (which I'm used to with all my other Berettas), 4) requires "tools" to field strip and make "safe", and 5) somehow not available for perusal yet...does anyone carry this gun yet?!

I've looked at Kahr Arms, re-evaluated my wife's Ruger LC9, the Walther PPK, and Kel-Tec. What would be best for what I'm needing? Keep in mind--I don't trust the .380, but I don't want to spend lots of money on a third-tier (what-could-happen) weapon, nor do I want something that "prints" too obviously. My 92fs is in the car, and my PX 4 .45 is in my Fobus at home.

Any happy mediums I can consider?

A stainless J frame is ideal for front pocket carry in an environment where it will likely get wet and sweaty; I prefer a revolver for pocket carry over an auto for several reasons.
    RugerMike and zacii like this.

2nd the j frame. you can drag into your working conditions and it will fire
    Proudly living in the free state of Florida

eb
    I have a Kahr MK9 in stainless that sounds up your alley. Its heavy for the small size compared to a poly gun, but super nice.

Thats a toughie. How about a Ruger LCR in .357 mag. ? I am most interested in shooting a hot magnum load thru it to see and understand how they managed to tame the recoil.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

How about a Ruger SP101 in 357 mag?
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

+1 on the SP 101 !
    The 327 Fed Mag looks good, has good ballistics, and holds six.

Outlaw Guns and Only Outlaws Will Have Guns !!

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eb View Post
    I have a Kahr MK9 in stainless that sounds up your alley. Its heavy for the small size compared to a poly gun, but super nice.
    Yep, Kahr MK9/PM9/CM9 is the best in my opinion!

Pair that with a Smartcarry at work and a Silent Thunder on your time and you'll be very pleased.

I have recently purchased a Taurus slim / 40 cal, an so far am very happy with it.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

walther pps, kahr cm9, berreta nano are 3 single stack, very small and very good choices in 9mm.

I'd say choose your weapon based on the threat.

(I'm assuming that weapons at work aren't prohibited. They are at my job, but in FL we have 'the parking lot law').

Whatever you choose, I'd go with the *cheapest* reliable pistol you can. You don't want to sweat all over or bang around a $5-700 gun...or "loan" it to the cops if you ever have to use it.

If you're mostly concerned about getting to your car or the 'off-chance' of a robbery, I'd say LCP or P3AT in a wallet holster-back pocket. That size will get you to your car...and take care of that server that doesn't know table #s and always has food sent to the wrong table...and the cook you've nicknamed "Kingsford" cuz he turns everything into charcoal....but I digress:) (Edit: Ankle holster too, maybe)

If you're concerned about active-shooter/serious robbery threat, I'd go with a LC9/Pf9 (or similar) in a shoulder holster. If you wear a jacket, that thing will conceal anything, including that 92. Make sure the jacket has the monkey-paw buttons, as we all know how easy those rip open.

I wouldn't carry cargo-pocket for 2 reasons: 1. the "flop factor" makes it obvious you have something heavy there and 2. we tend to bump into a LOT of things in a rush, especially on the line. I wouldn't want to make that sprint to the walk-in for whatever you just ran out of, turn a corner too tight (or wide) and BAM!, there goes the gun into a table leg or something.

I've never carried at work, so I can't say for sure but I could see myself knocking it into everything. Where I work now, I work a pull-out broiler that comes to my upper thigh. I have to drop my edc into my cargo pockets so I don't really hurt myself bumping it in:)

Your post, however, does remind me of a story some fellow cooks told some (MANY) years ago. It was told that these guys were working in a diner in the 'hood and a guy came in the back dock w/a sawed-off to rob the joint. He pointed it up to rack it and *every* cook on the line drew down on him. The took his shotty and beat him w/it. LOL. Probably a tall-tale, but knowing these guys (Good cooks,good guys...but most of them were trained at PCI...the *penal*-culinary-institute), it was possible.

Regardless, stay safe, stay out 'tha weeds and let me know what you choose and how it works for ya!
    I think I should be able to claim my guns as dependents on my taxes. I have to clothe them, feed them, clean them when they get dirty, keep them safe from bad people...

The SP101 is a great gun, but 27 ounces (empty!) is a LOT of lump in your pocket. Given the OP's defined environment, I'd get in line to recommend a lightweight J-frame, around 15 oz, dry. I'm fond of the models with a shrouded or internal hammer (e.e., Bodyguard or Centennial models) for the ease of draw from a pocket.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I have a Kahr PM9. I love the weapon, but I think the parameters outlined by the OP suggest my other pocket gun, a S&W 442 or 642.

Perfect for total concealment necessarily means not all that shoot-able or else a weenie cartridge, or both. It's a case of not being able to "have one's cake and eat it too." Perhaps "smallest" should be reduced in importance as a priority and more expedient carry methods should be examined.

The Colt Model 1908 .25 pistol is about as "totally concealable" as it gets but one shouldn't sacrifice everything else for concealment and then assume that he is "loaded for bear."
    $(KGrHqJ,!j!E6IdOehm6BOiU2-1Zb!~~60_3.JPG
    OD* and JerryMac like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by redstgunnut View Post
    I have a Kahr PM9. I love the weapon, but I think the parameters outlined by the OP suggest my other pocket gun, a S&W 442 or 642.
    How so? I saw nothing in his original post that steers me this way... The CM9/PM9/MK9 is smaller than the J-Frame.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links