Reports on the Beretta Nano are coming in... welcome to reality.

This is a discussion on Reports on the Beretta Nano are coming in... welcome to reality. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Huh, the Nano is having issues who'da thunk it? So much for the credibility of that 1000 rounds no issues marketing crap that everyone fell ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Reports on the Beretta Nano are coming in... welcome to reality.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar

Huh, the Nano is having issues who'da thunk it? So much for the credibility of that 1000 rounds no issues marketing crap that everyone fell for.

It's great to see the Nano join the ranks of small 9's, and I think seeing it have issues will hopefully bring things into perspective for those who feel Kahr is sub par in that it requires a break-in period to function 100%. That said, I've been lucky in that I've never had a single failure with any of mine. The Nano is a neat little gun for sure, but for anyone to think a small 9MM won't have issues is a little far fetched, which is why I called BS on their marketing videos. In my opinion, Beretta came out aiming at Kahr with bullets flying (1000 of them), making everyone believe their release of a small 9mm would be perfect and trouble free.

Welcome to reality.

Small guns have very little tolerance, I think Kahr has done an exceptional job with theirs and unfortunately it constantly gets compared to guns that aren't even in the same league, larger, and looser tolerances. Kahr specializes in small, concealable handguns and, in my opinion, has the market nailed.

Administrator
    While I'm certainly not surprised, I'm also not ready to give the customary Sixto "I told you so" declaration. Do you have links or any reference to the reports you speak of?
    "Just blame Sixto"

twc
    Bersa bp9cc > Kahr cw9. just saying. Also where are these reports on the nano? I haven't seen them.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

It hasn't been out long, but they are coming in...

Here's one:
    Beretta NANO - Glock Talk

Another one:
    Dear Beretta -- Fix The Nano - Beretta Forum

Just to be very CLEAR, I'm NOT saying the Nano isn't a great gun - I'm sure it is, but it's not above failure (no gun is). If you like shooting light loads, this probably isn't the gun for you based on some initial reports and apparently Beretta now acknowledges this as well.

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar
    I don't think they were targeting anything more then just the mini 9 market craze of late. But they sure did seem to fire a blank on this one!

Once I heard about their new wounder-gun I started visiting the Beretta Forum and was quiet intrigued by the enthusiasm, as one would expect from the Beretta crowd. OH BOY a new Beretta !! Can't wait to see one !!!! Gan ah be my next buy !!!!! It's got ah be good ... it's a Beretta !!!!!

And once a couple of them got one it was only toted as the next best thing to come around since caned beer and sliced bread! But at first no substance reports only teasing information, and anything negative posted on their forum didn't stay posted for too long, if you didn't catch it with in the first few moments of it being posted it disappeared? The only things I noticed that seem to stay was some inept information? And now that you mention it, some have hit the shelves either to a special few or some have trickled out to some general consumers, but there hasn't been many if any range reports, nothing much has been posted and it has been supposedly out on the street since the first week of November? Waz up with dat

I haven't seen one in person yet but from the pictures I've seen I'm not impressed, despite all the hype Beretta's PR dept hazel-dazzled us with. woooooo 1000 rounds through a dry gun ... look how easy it strips ... look how little it is ... and the best of all ... It's A Beretta !!!

I think it looks like a drunk male Glock had a one-night-stand with a Taurus ho and she plopped out a Nano, and the poor thing got the looks of its father only block-yer worse, and the temperament of its mom <ymwv> now I do have some Blocks and I like um but as for Taurus-the-Bull NO THANKS.

Some say the Glocks are like holding a 2x4 but from the pictures I've seen of the Nano next to some other firearms it looks to me like a 3x4. Kind ah like a mini-me Px4, which, didn't have some issues with that one too????

Well like they say don't be the lab-rat on a new firearm, wait a few months till they work out the gremlins, but some manufacturers never do seem to be able to get it right, and we know for whom that bell tolls

Think I'll be CCW-ing my PF9 till the cows come home

The Glock Talk review, he clearly states he failed to seat the mag, and it could have been a limp wrist issue.

The Beretta forum issue is with what the call light loads, and the failure of them to opperate the slide properly.

Neither of these are gun issues in my mind.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    Nothing against the Nano, but it doesn't offer anything over the existing micro-9's on the market that have already worked their bugs out. Even the lowly PF9 has proven itself, so even those that can't afford a PM9 or CW9 can still carry something reliable in that platform. I don't know why anyone would rush to a new release that has the same dimensions, weight and price points of what is already available and proven.

Until someone comes up with something smaller, lighter or other unique feature, it is destined to be just another "me too" model.

Nothing against Beretta (I hope to acquire a 92FS or M9 in the coming year). However, I've yet to see anything that can touch the size, weight, quality and reliability of the proven PM9.

Administrator
    I know that the KAHR firearms always function with the magazine only partially inserted.
    And as I have always stated in the past.
    Never judge any firearm based on how it performs with WWB ammo.
    It is inconsistent ammunition or at least it was before I stopped buying it.
    The best thing that WWB has going for it is that it's cheap.
    Just my personal opinion on that. I personally would never SD Carry it.

"I took the new Nano to the range this morning and put 260 rounds down range. 42 Rem PMC, 58 Win White Box, 140 reloads, and 20 rounds of various personal defense ammo. Only two problems, round # 9 failure to feed due to my failure to seat the mag and a failure to fully extract on round 53 with WWB. No known cause for that, could have been limp wristing on my part or a light load.
    No problems with any other rounds and it is definitely a keeper."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am not "sticking up" for the NANO but, the other problem seems to be a recoil spring power issue and that can be a problem with any firearm.
    The problem is this. Manufacturers can only install one recoil spring weight in any firearm.
    Ammunition power factors are often "all over the place" with regard to available energy to cycle any given firearm.

So initially all firearm manufacturers install a "compromise" or "balance" factory recoil spring weight.
    With a firearm primarily intended for self-defense they will select a firearm recoil spring weight based on the available slide operating energy of the majority of self-defense ammunition & that is usually "hotter" than some milder range offerings.

Things always get more critical the smaller the firearm is due to less available slide mass.
    It's a wonderful (but, sometimes rare) thing for any semi-automatic to function perfectly with all of the available ammunition that is out there.

That is why competition shooters will very often tune or "tailor" their recoil spring weight to the specific ammunition that they compete with.
    My point being (as it relates to the NANO) is that at least the "first year" issues (so far) seem to be a minor "recoil spring weight" related issue and not triggers breaking in half or parts falling out - sights flying off - hammers cracking - loose pins etc.

For example...I always tune my 1911s to function with the lightest possible recoil spring weight for the ammo that I carry.
    Since my personal guns all have tuned and polished extractors, smooth breech faces, lapped slides, throated barrels, highly polished disconnectors, etc...my personal 1911s will operate 100% & perfectly with a very light recoil spring weight that would cause multitudes of function related and "failure to" issues with many other "stock" 1911s....even though the are the "same" gun.
    Bark'n and Spidey2011 like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

eb
    My Kahr MK9 FTE's occasionally. The only small 9 I have that has never failed is my Keltec PF9. That said, I had thought about trying a Nano because I'm a Beretta fan, but the small guns have fallen out of favor with me lately, and I'm working on getting rid of all of them.
    helderberg likes this.

I see nothing in those links to indicate problems. Am I missing something?
    Idahokid likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I see nothing in those links to indicate problems. Am I missing something?
    Since when is an FTE not a problem?

One guy had one FTE in a brand new weapon on the 53rd round ever fired and shot 260 of them..... no issue there on a brand new weapon

The other guy posted a followup thread to his 3 out of the first 150 rounds FTE on another brand new weapon, attributing it to the ammo, which he is not using anymore and therefore doesn't experience the issue anymore.

I am still confused as to where the problem is here? Seriously?

When I start seeing long term owners having the same issues then maybe I will take it seriously but a few n00bs having fte's (0.4% and 2% failure rates) and within the first 500 rounds concerns me not.

As I stated initially, this was in response to Beretta's "1000 round 0 failures" video. I've also stated that I don't think it's a bad gun... That said, I don't recall any other manufacturer hyping 0 failures like Beretta did - which is the point of this thread really. After the much hyped video was posted everyone was impressed, and some probably expected that if it did that with a dry gun than certain it would be 100% reliable out of the box if it were lubed. It's not to say it's not a contender, or even a top choice for some people, it's to point out that in its early release it's already showing signs of potential issues or that it needs certain ammo to function properly - one thing they of course fail to mention in the video - apparently they assume people use more expensive ammo at the range.

My problem is this, people constantly seem to bash Kahr (for example) because it 'can' require a break-in procedure and because of this, those who don't know it start babbling on about how Kahr is a piece of junk. At least Kahr states openly what is required and that they recommend people use the slide release to chamber the first round - yet another thing people don't do and complain about nose dives. My PM9 works flawlessly with PDX1, but will nose dive horribly with Federal Hydra-Shock, my MK9 doesn't care what I use.

You can take a sampling of 100 Nano's and I am positive that some will have no issues, some will have some issues, and some will have many issues... such is life with firearms...... welcome to reality. Oh and I bash Kahr because they are owned by the prince of moonies.

That bothers me none - I'm glad however that they are built right here and provide jobs for the USA.

:)

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links