First Range day with SR40c (tad longish)

This is a discussion on First Range day with SR40c (tad longish) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently purchased a Ruger SR40c as daily carry gun. I shot a rented one at a local range and liked it so I figured ...

Thread: First Range day with SR40c (tad longish)

First Range day with SR40c (tad longish)

I recently purchased a Ruger SR40c as daily carry gun. I shot a rented one at a local range and liked it so I figured I would pick one up. Went to the range today and put 225 rounds down range. Remington UMC and Federal ammo and only used the shorter carry magazine, left the larger magazine at home. Comparing the MK40 since I got the SR40c to replace it.

Before going I cleaned the gun to get all that factory sludge they put in there. Solvent, quick spray of Rem Oil (wipe off excess), and a small touch of lube on the rails.

The targets were at about 15 yards, didn't the distance. When I spent some time and aimed between each shot the group was pretty good (for me), which was quite a bit better than my Kahr MK40 but not quite as good as I am with the 92FS. The recoil was much better than the MK 40 as well and pretty manageable. When I did faster shooting the groups opened up quite a bit but still remained on the target, which is more than I can say when I shot my MK40. Faster is about 8 seconds for 10 rounds, and "aimed" shooting was about 30 seconds for 10 rounds. So overall I was pleased with my ability to hit on target with the SR40c. The recoil was manageable, the feel of the gun fit my hand pretty well. Both are better than my MK40.

The trigger was smooth, no hitching or unexpected "feel" while pulling. The reset is a bit long, longer than both the MK40 and the 92FS so in the 225 rounds I shot, there were maybe four times that I tried pulling the trigger again before it reset. Obviously I gotta work that out, especially for a defensive carry gun. If I can't get used to it, I may have to get the trigger worked on. The reset is quite noticeable, you can feel it as well as hear it (if you are listening for it, just regular shooting I didn't notice it). Would like to have an SRT trigger like Sig's.

To seat the magazine takes an aggressive hand. Can't just push it in and get a nice click, really have to shove it or hit it. Very reminiscent of the M-16s I fired in the military. Grab, click, slam! A problem I had a few times was when I slammed the magazine in, the slide would release. Which in and of itself is not a big deal, but I don't like my gun doing something I don't deliberately do. The first round from the magazine was chambered correctly, so for someone with trigger discipline issues it could be a problem on a reload.

The upper camblock pin (which is one of the pins just above the trigger to hold the camblock in the frame) came out 2 or 3 times while I shooting. Once completely fell out. I wiped it down to get all the oil off it (presumably the Rem oil I used a bit too much of) and inserted it back in and is now seated. I am guessing that had I not sprayed rem oil into the frame then it would have remained seated, or had I done a better of getting ride of the excess..

Overall I did like the gun, it fit me well, it isn't very heavy, and shot pretty accurately. It is a fine shooter, especially for the price point. It is not as nice as the 92FS and the trigger reset bothered me, other than that I had one jam somewhere in the vicinity of round 35, which was cleared quickly with a slide rack.

Here is a pic of the gun as well as the SHTF IWB holster I use with it.

Ruger1.jpg

Mike
    Last edited by BitReaver; November 30th, 2011 at 10:36 PM.

2. Remove Ads

But thanks for the review.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

nevermind - figured it out.
    Last edited by Warmon; November 30th, 2011 at 09:51 PM.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

VIP Member
    Wake me up when this thread is over....
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

The upper camblock pin (which is one of the pins just above the trigger to hold the camblock in the frame) came out 2 or 3 times while I shooting. Once completely fell out. I wiped it down to get all the oil off it (presumably the Rem oil I used a bit too much of) and inserted it back in and is now seated. I am guessing that had I not sprayed rem oil into the frame then it would have remained seated, or had I done a better of getting ride of the excess..
    The presence or absence of oil on a gun should not have any bearing on whether parts stay in place. I think your piece has an undersized pin or oversized hole. Give Ruger a call and make it their problem.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Links