Gettin' Another "Mousegun" (???)

This is a discussion on Gettin' Another "Mousegun" (???) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, even though many will question my mental stability, I can't resist the temptation to buy another "mousegun" any longer because I've got to try ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By QKShooter
  • 1 Post By pogo2

Thread: Gettin' Another "Mousegun" (???)

Gettin' Another "Mousegun" (???)

OK, even though many will question my mental stability, I can't resist the temptation to buy another "mousegun" any longer because I've got to try this thing out whether I decide to carry it or not. At least in my thoughts, a "mousegun" is a very small pistol that's easy to conceal rather than being one of very small caliber because I've got some really large and heavy .22 pistols in the safe.

While my Colt Mustang has always been, and always will be, my BUG (and primary carry much of the time), I keep drifting back to the two times I had to drop the hammer on someone in self (or partner) defense when it was the first quick shot at very close range that was literally a "do or die" necessity in finding its mark and stopping the threat regardless of whether the weapon had a whole magazine full of additional rounds or not. Close range and having no other choice is my bible because I've taken enough bullets in the past to forget all the hero crap and either run like the wind or take other "agressive avoidance" measures if there's any distance at all between me and a BG. Being a point-shooter, I've always gone for a head-shot if at all possible because that's the most effective and instant threat stopper even with someone wearing body armor.

One shot - it has to count because a miss or ineffective first shot in a critical, close-range situation with an armed BG won't give you time (or life) for a second shot. So, I'm getting a mousegun (in size) that I can easily carry concealed, locked 'n cocked, that will give me that first close-range shot at maximum effectiveness - even though the mousegun is a single-action and has only a two-round capacity. The choice of that first mousegun shot will either be a .45 Long Colt hollow-point or a 3" .410 #0000-buckshot shotgun shell that launches four 9.4mm (.380) 85-grain balls all at once. If there is time for a second shot, it would also be either of the above two rounds.

Bond Arms Derringer:
    Bond Century 2000.gif

Hand-made, stainless steel, single-action, built like a tank, pricey @ $420, and is available with barrels of lesser bore size from 10mm on down for muffins.

Their website at Century 2000 | Bond Arms inc has some interesting videos as well where even using large birdshot (implied headshot) would be a major threat-stopper at close range. I may not like it after trying it, but I just can't stand it anymore - gotta get me one

2. Remove Ads

The American Derringer I believe is the one I would get over the Bond....Bond has a cross bolt safety and American has a transfer bar which I think is better and faster to get into action if ur wanting a derringer or get one of the double action ones out in a center fire caliber.

I've only had a chance to shoot the Bond Arms derringer in 9mm. Beautiful little derringer and fit and finish were outstanding.....but the thing weighed over 20 oz. While a "derringer" may seem like a mouse gun to you, as far as caliber is concerned, a 45LC is no freaking mouse caliber and has been putting very large holes in BG's for a very long time.
    Low capacity is my only issue with the Bond Arms derringers.....they are little works of art and come in a variety of service calibers.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Administrator
    I would also go w/ American Derringer over Bond Arms.

OD* likes this.

Thanks for the wisdom, I'll check the American Derringer a little closer since the gun shop I frequent has both brands. Although I'm OK with a cross-bolt safety that blocks any hammer movement, I also favor the Bond's wide and heavy trigger guard that provides a more secure grip on the weapon and prevents the weapon from being dropped (or knocked loose) if the finger slips off an un-guarded trigger during recoil.

One of the videos on the Bond site was very intriguing where they're skeet-shooting launched clay pigeons with the derringers - can't think of a better way to really practice point-shooting a moving target (smaller than a head) with a handgun.

Being ambidextrous and wearing a two-hoster carry vest in cooler weather, I'm visualizing better balance with the Mustang in one holster and derringer in the other to cross-draw whichever might be best. Whether I choose to carry it or not, it's going to be a fun toy for popping clay pigeons and getting in a lot of good handgun practice.

Derringer comments

I looked up the Bond Arms derringer in .45/.410 caliber and it seems to be a 22 ounce single action gun with a 3 inch barrel. I presume the gun is carried hammer down. If this is correct, deploying the gun requires thumb cocking the hammer then pulling the trigger. That would seem to be quite a bit of activity before you can fire a shot, requiring some time and mental awareness under stress.

Personally I prefer an airweight S&W J frame .38 revolver like the DAO model 642 for this application, which weighs 15 ounces and is about the same dimensions as the Bond derringer. The J frame is fired by trigger pull without cocking, so it should be quicker to deploy than the derringer. It gives you 5 quick shots of a lighter bullet than the .45, but it can do a lot of damage to an attacker at close range. And the simple operation doesn't require much manipulation prior to shooting, unlike the derringer.

ASSA9 likes this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Links