Any suggestions for pistols I can add to my "maybe list"

This is a discussion on Any suggestions for pistols I can add to my "maybe list" within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I understand that this is a concealed carry site but I'm straying away a little bit because of the knowlege base here. I am planning ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any suggestions for pistols I can add to my "maybe list"

Any suggestions for pistols I can add to my "maybe list"

I understand that this is a concealed carry site but I'm straying away a little bit because of the knowlege base here. I am planning to buy a full size auto. I am primarily looking for a 9mm but .40 would be acceptable. Concealment is NOT a concern. I prefer a 5" barrel but if everything else is good would be willing to accept around a 4". Must be both SA and DA. NO DAO's. Being a full size I would expect it to be both accurate, reliable, and willing to accept a variety of ammo makes and bullet styles. Weight should not exceed 35 ounces (MOL). My preference is all steel but an alloy frame is acceptable (preferrably forged not cast). Lastly, the price should not exceed $600. The only two I've found so far are the CZ75's and the Beretta 92fs. Lots of nice guns out there but the trend today seems to be DAO and plastic. Some of the Sig's look nice but the ones that come even close to my requirements are spendy. Any help would be appreciated. I would hate to shell out the coin and then have someone say "Hey, why didn't you check out the such and such" when it's to late to change my mind.

2. Remove Ads

CZ all the way!

CZ is the way to go to meet all your requirements.
    "One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them."
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Letter to George Washington, 1796. ME 9:341

I've even considered some of the earlier S&W 4000 and 5000 series pistols but most of them are either beatup ex LEO guns or priced so close to the CZ's as to not really be able to offer anything. It's funny but, when I started I didn't think that finding a big steel gun would be all that difficult. However, if the CZ's and Beretta are my only choices, at least they are good choices. I can get a CZ 75BD delivered to my FFL for about $450 or the same gun in two tone for about $30 more. The 92fs is about $525. After that my choices seem to jump up into the $700 plus range.

Is Ruger still making the full sized P series? I had a P85 way back when and it was as reliable or better than anything else I have owned. Just too big and heavy, sold it and got an XDM.

I must admit that the Ruger has been in the back of my mind. Some were alloy frames and at least on paper seem to come pretty close to my list. Somehow and for what reason I'm not sure, I just feel that it's not on the same level as the CZ or the Beretta. Perhaps it only because when looking at some pistols I think "I'd sure like to have one of those" and the Ruger just never grabbed me that way. But since I don't think that looks should be added to the list, if anyone can provide me with good enough info I'd be happy to add them to the list.

HK P30L, Sig P226, Glock 17/34.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

All nice guns but two are out of my designated price range and one is DAO. Also, all three ar plastic. In the case of the H&K or the SIG I could almost overlook it if they were even close to my range.

EAA Witness. You can find one in 9mm with the .22 conversion for about $400.

A Hi-Power would be excellent choice as would any steel-framed CZ that others mentioned above.

The Hi-Power is the best 9mm ever produced in my opinion.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Hard to beat the CZ75. Available in DA/SA or SAO, as well as a decocker version.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    A Hi-Power would be excellent choice as would any steel-framed CZ that others mentioned above.

Love to get one for under $600.00 glad I bought mine almost 20 years ago. Used I've seen that low but new are in the 850.00-1,00.00 range (from what I've been seeing anyway)

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post

And that would be my suggestion as well

Quote Originally Posted by Tzadik View Post
    Love to get one for under $600.00 glad I bought mine almost 20 years ago. Used I've seen that low but new are in the 850.00-1,00.00 range (from what I've been seeing anyway)
    CDNN Sports, Inc. 2011-4 Catalog

page 8-9 $699-789

The witness looks interesting but I don't know anything about them at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links