What's the deal with Taurus handguns? - Page 11

What's the deal with Taurus handguns?

This is a discussion on What's the deal with Taurus handguns? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I own and shoot on a regular basis the taurus pt809 and Taurus 709. Well over 1000 rds in the 709 and over 500 in ...

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: What's the deal with Taurus handguns?

I own and shoot on a regular basis the taurus pt809 and Taurus 709. Well over 1000 rds in the 709 and over 500 in the 809 without any problems. From what I read, most of the negative comments are from people who never owned Taurus.

I'm thrilled with my Taurus. 1000's of rounds through it. No problems. I have the 9MM Taurus 24/7 G2 Compact. Owned it a little less than a year now. It has become my daily carry pistol. I used to be a Glock "fan-boy" but I realized that sooner or later you have to keep an open mind or other opportunities will pass you by. I took a chance and bought one and have been extremely satisfied every since. Actually I like my Taurus better than the G4 Glock that I bought just about the same time. Honestly I have had more problems with the Glock (I'm thinking its a garbled ejector) than I have the Taurus (not a single issue). I put up a review of my Taurus on YouTube if you are interested. Here is the link:

9MM Taurus 24/7 G2 Compact Review (1of3) - YouTube

I would not buy a Taurus. I have owned them in the past, nothing but problems. When you have to trust a gun to defend your life, be sure it is not a Taurus. You get what you pay for.

I have a pt145 and has been my everyday ccw for the past 5 years, shoots flawless and never had any issues what so ever and would trust it with my life. Lots of anti Taurus people out there but yaada yaada yaada buy what you like and can afford.....

Administrator
    My only reason for posting this is that Taurus has historically had a much higher catastrophic failure rate than any other firearm so without doing any bashing - folks should be made aware of that fact before they make a purchase.
    I don't want to see any of our forum members get a dud firearm. AND I AM happy for any folks that get a good one that functions properly.
    For sure I do not dislike any people that own or are happy with or carry a Taurus firearm.
    I do believe that Taurus needs to really get a handle on their historically very spotty quality control.
    That is a document-able problem that Taurus has had since their very inception.

Well, there was a guy that posted on the Internet who wanted to check out the failure rate of Taurus firearms for himself. He happened to have every issue of GUN testS magazine dating from 1994 to 2010.

FYI - GUN testS magazine never accepted any freebie guns and the magazine never accepted ANY advertisments from firearm manufacturers and all firearms tested in GUN testS magazine were purchased off the shelf from gun shops.

Out of the 83 various assorted Taurus firearms tested in GUN testS between the years of 1994 and 2010 16 broke outright or became non-functional during the initial testing.

Of the 47 GLOCK firearms tested over the same time period the failure rate was "0" - Folks who know me on this forum know that I am not a GLOCK guy so that has nothing to do with this post.

But, if 16 out of 84 dysfunctional Taurus firearms is acceptable to you for a self-defense firearm then that is fine with me also.

I have no skin in this game.
    bmcgilvray and thephanatik like this.

I have had a Taurus PT 111 mil pro for about 4 years now with no issues with the gun as of yet. Also a guy I work with has the same model and has had no issues with his either. The biggest problem i have with the gun is the fact that it is really hard to find fitted holsters for the gun for concealment. I'm planning on going to a Glock 19 or even a 23 within the next couple of weeks. I just need to decide what caliber i want.

I have a PT738 and it works pretty damn well. I took a chance on it because I bought it used and got it really cheap. Can't speak for all their guns but this little sucker is a keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGSAM View Post
    All I can do is run on my own experience. There are TOO many that down/support a weapon they've never had any experience with and think that's giving "advice".
    I'm just adding my own experience.

If that was true then "X" manufacturer would have no warantees, guarentees or claims of good customer service to include speedy repair and return of your firearm.
    +1 for many who have no experience with a model.

Something worth noting though is that with Taurus, Kimber, Para, and others, you have to pay for shipping to send it in for warranty work.

A few months after I bought my Para, I was told by them it would cost $60 to $100 to ship it to them. I didn't know anything about shipping at this time. Several months later I called again to send it back. I was prepared to bite the bullet and spend the $78 to ship via FedEx or "$25 plus shipping" (much cheaper shipping plus $25) through a FFL. I asked them to pick up shipping to them and they did. I read cases of them picking up the shipping in recent times.

Not all of their guns are junk but I would not buy one myself again. When I was uninformed I bought a TCP 738 that was not reliable and not accurate. I sold it cheap and educated myself and moved on to Ruger pistols that are reliable. Taurus seems to have major quality control issues in their manufacturing process. This leads to more problems with the products they put out than other manufacturers seem to face.
    DanielC likes this.

"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

I have a 24/7 pro 40 and like it a lot, no problems at all. I cant use a glock, the angle of the grip is all wrong for me and hurts my wrist. It seems that most who have problems with them have problems with every one they ever owned, does that mean something, maybe, maybe not.

Interesting reading on the taurus. I picked up a 24/7 g2 compact the other day and being left handed was very please with the controls. The da trigger pull wasn't as bad as others I've handled. I'm not a da fan. Being left handed, this gun really intrigued me. Price wasn't an issue. I have xd's and have adapted my strategies regarding being left handed but this gun is interesting. I may rent one. See how it does and go from there.

Re: What's the deal with Taurus handguns?

I had a Taurus Poly Protector .38 that was great. Zero problems through plenty of rounds and built well.

I have joint custody of a 738-tcp. Right now it is with its mother in Miami getting repaired. It seems to want to spend more time at the mothership then it does at the range. I've only put 100 rounds throught it before it didnt want to play anymore. I'd rather carry my little phoenix p22 that i've never had a problem with then a taurus that is as effective as a rock. Also when I called taurus they said 2 weeks for repair. when fedex delivered it and it didnt show up on the repair website I called them again and was told a firearm in for repair can sit there and not be logged in for awhile and the repair time doesnt start until its logged in. then its 2-4 weeks AFTER its logged in. The last call I made told me up to six weeks. so it can be months before a repair is made. This was for a firearms that was made in june 2012 and I bought brand new in october.

I've owned 2 Taurus Products, still have one, wish I'd kept the other. Now own and use a Taurus Judge Tracker SS .45lc/.410ga 6.5in.. I use it for HD, hunting (deer, pheasant, etc), and a "fun" gun to shoot. Seems well built, solid and heavy, and accurate as any gun I've shot. I also regretfully sold a Taurus PT740 Slim. Excellent pistol for SD, concealable, accurate, flawless (shot over 300 rds. With no mishaps at all, all kinds of ammo too), and powerful, .40cal. Traded for a revolver, should have kept it. Just my opinion and experience.
    Best Regards,
    "Doc" aka Bill
    SLAINTE VAR!!

Sponsored Links