What's the deal with Taurus handguns? - Page 12

What's the deal with Taurus handguns?

This is a discussion on What's the deal with Taurus handguns? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I purchased a 24/7 OSS Tactical last year for no other reason than the great price. $275.00 NIB. Only after the fact, did I get ...

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: What's the deal with Taurus handguns?

Re: What's the deal with Taurus handguns?

I purchased a 24/7 OSS Tactical last year for no other reason than the great price. $275.00 NIB. Only after the fact, did I get on the forums and see all the Taurus bashing. With at least 700 rds downrange, and not one hiccup, I'm very happy with my purchase. I sleep comfortably knowing it's on the nightstand with a TLR-3 clamped to its rail.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
    fail_187 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    Wow that is an excellent price. I wish I had jumped on one when they were selling them on Buds for $299. Now the ones I see at the LGS here, they are asking $399 and up. I got to hold and dry fire one for a few minutes and I really like the way it felt in my hand and the trigger felt really smooth. The one I am really wanting and looking for is the Gen 1 24/7 OSS 45acp in Desert Tan. God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by scsvstrom View Post
    I purchased a 24/7 OSS Tactical last year for no other reason than the great price. $275.00 NIB. Only after the fact, did I get on the forums and see all the Taurus bashing. With at least 700 rds downrange, and not one hiccup, I'm very happy with my purchase. I sleep comfortably knowing it's on the nightstand with a TLR-3 clamped to its rail.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

From reading this thread and similar threads elsewhere, it's obvious that Taurus has great strengths and weaknesses. I belong to a Taurus blog, where the members believe profoundly Taurus can do no wrong. But I just see too many blogs to the contrary elsewhere. I must have gotten their flagship of revolvers, because it is better than any other I have ever shot, or seen in my life. The 444.003.jpg

Smile they don't work

I have a Taurus pt145 mallinium. This thing jams worse that I've ever seen any gun jam. First mag I put in it and first time I shot it, it jammed. The gun will fire, then when it goes to chamber a new round, it nose dives into the front of the chamber. I've tried reloads, different weight bullets, different powders, hollow points, solids, factory ammo from different manufacturers, different weight bullets from different manufacturers, hollow points and solids too. It cannot fire one mag completely without an average of 4 jams per mags. I sent it back to Taurus and they put a new barrel in it and a new spring. I didn't make any difference at all. I'd send it back again, but at $40 each time I send it back, I can't afford it. I'd rather sell it, but I hate to push this piece of crap off on someone else. I did buy two new mags and they jam just as bad. I took it to a gun smith. He said that I had a piece of crap and that he would not work on it. It's just the way the gun is. Many others post similar reviews like mine on the internet. Sure wish I could get this thing to shoot. It sure feels good in my hands and is not too heavy to carry. I would never trust my life with this boat anchor. I guess I could pull it on a bad guy and just throw it at him. He probably would not keep it and just throw it back at me.
    mano3 and sebring like this.

I have had 3 a PT101, model 85 and a judge and not had one problem with any of them. There PT series is the early that they bought from Beretta when there early model PTs were having problems. My PT101 I put over 5000 rds thru never failed the model85 1200 rds no problem and only 600 thru the Judge. Any weapon can have problems no matter who makes them, 1968 bought brand new S&W Model 19 for duty with the sheriff's department went to the range 250 rnds perfect that was a Wed on Sat night around 11:30pm called for armed robbery got there guy started shooting I fired 1round took out car window secound round could not pull trigger glad I had back up. There it is it can happen no matter who makes the weapon, S&W had to replace my Model 19

I have owned three Taurus revolvers. The first was a model 66 .357 magnum with a six inch barrel purchased in 1997. While shooting at a local indoor range, I noticed that the cylinder was not locked in properly. I went to push it back in and the entire revolver fell apart, not unlike the classic comedy exploding revolver skit. The range owner was kind enough to ship the piece back to Taurus for me, and soon after I received a communication from Taurus accusing me of shooting hand loads in the revolver, and thus voiding any warranty. I assured them that I only shot factory ammunition in the revolver, and mainly .38 special at that. After a couple of months, Taurus gave in and sent me a new model 66 with a reinforced frame, a full length barrel lug, and seven shot capacity. I still own this revolver and it is a fine, accurate and reliable shooter. I also purchased a Taurus hammerless 850 .38 special with plus p capability, and found it to be an excellent shooter, and an efficient ccw weapon. My experience has truly been a mixed bag.

I owned a PT145 Millenium Pro and it was awful! Jammed all the time and would not eat JHP ammo. Sold it and bought a SIG.

My wife still has her Taurus .38 Special Armalite revolver. It has never given us a problem, but that's what revlovers are supposed to do.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

Never owned one, but have seen many. They have a much lower price point than the larger manufacturers, which is a big part of their appeal. Just take one of their guns and place it side by side with, say, a S&W. Fit and finish is obvious without picking it up.

If money were an issue for me in a weapon purchase, I would buy a well cared-for, used, quality brand over a new Taurus. Taurus' lifetime guarantee doesn't do you much good if the weapon fails at the moment of truth.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

I've owned a PT99 for many years of trouble free service. A little large for CC but it always goes Bang.

Gave Taurus 3 honest tries at my gun money. Try tries, three strikes...YER OUT! Not again, not now, not ever.
    mano3 likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Every firearm forum has a Taurus thread, and I think that's great. I own three that work great and I trust them completely, and when I want another one I can buy it at an affordable price because someone heard about a friend who knew a guy who said they weren't good guns. :-)

I have owned a Taurus PT845 .45 cal before I got my XDm. Roughly 500-700 down the pipe w/ no hiccups. Only issue I had the firing pin sear off (my fault I believe), but after 40 some odd min's on the phone I had the new firing pin within two weeks no problem or questions asked; besides if I wanted them to repair it or if I could do it. I really liked the trigger, and it was a very accurate gun. I loved the external hammer/safety and completely ambidextrous everything! No bashing here!

Zombie thread back from the dead, but since folks have commented about the PT145 I though I'd add my 2 cents.

I own two PT 145's. A Gen 1 with a couple of thousand rounds through it, and a new stainless Gen 3 I got last summer with maybe 300 rounds. I have not had any issues to date. I have polished the ramp and I lubricate my mags (mainly for rust). Some people have complained about bad frames on the Gen 1 but mine is holding strong. I do shoot standard ball, not HP. Supposedly they shoot +P, I don't know, maybe that's why I still have a one piece frame. I have confidence in the guns.

I work in low income housing property management - that means gangs, drugs, eviction, domestic violence, a dangerous place. My PT is my primary CC weapon(s). Mainly because it is the smallest 11 round .45 I have found. If someone made a good 1911 Officers in stainless with 10 rounds I'd carry that. But it doesn't exist and I'm not willing to give up the additional rounds.

When we do a lock out or document service I carry a full size HK45, which I think may be the best handgun ever developed, but it's too big for everyday concealment.

I also own a Taurus Judge, as a bedroom gun. Had it about a year, only a few rounds through it, but no problems. I wouldn't recommend entering my bedroom at night uninvited. :)
    fail_187 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    My daughter has a TCP 738SS that is a Jam-O-Matic that was returned for repair, after two months it was returned to her as repaired. Still a Jam-O- Matic will any ammo used. Her EdC is now a LCP and it has been flawless.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbreth54 View Post
    I have a Taurus pt145 mallinium. This thing jams worse that I've ever seen any gun jam. First mag I put in it and first time I shot it, it jammed. The gun will fire, then when it goes to chamber a new round, it nose dives into the front of the chamber. I've tried reloads, different weight bullets, different powders, hollow points, solids, factory ammo from different manufacturers, different weight bullets from different manufacturers, hollow points and solids too. It cannot fire one mag completely without an average of 4 jams per mags. I sent it back to Taurus and they put a new barrel in it and a new spring. I didn't make any difference at all. I'd send it back again, but at $40 each time I send it back, I can't afford it. I'd rather sell it, but I hate to push this piece of crap off on someone else. I did buy two new mags and they jam just as bad. I took it to a gun smith. He said that I had a piece of crap and that he would not work on it. It's just the way the gun is. Many others post similar reviews like mine on the internet. Sure wish I could get this thing to shoot. It sure feels good in my hands and is not too heavy to carry. I would never trust my life with this boat anchor. I guess I could pull it on a bad guy and just throw it at him. He probably would not keep it and just throw it back at me.
    It's the magazine. I had the same model with the same results. Take your magazine to Gander Mountain or anywhere else that sells new Taurus factory magazines, compare them and I'll bet you'll see that the followers are completely different. No kidding.

The mags that came with my pistol had a blunt, rounded leading edge. The others came to a sharp point.

I no longer have that pistol.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Sponsored Links