What's the deal with Taurus handguns?

This is a discussion on What's the deal with Taurus handguns? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mbell1968 From what I have seen on this site and on other sites on the internet, it seems like most people handgun ...

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: What's the deal with Taurus handguns?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mbell1968 View Post
    From what I have seen on this site and on other sites on the internet, it seems like most people handgun owners do not have alot of positive things to say about Taurus handguns. I know they are a Brazilian company, is it the quality, comfort, reliability that is substandard? I know they copied Beretta and the 92F. Seems like they copied Smith and Wesson in some designs as well. They sure have a huge selection of guns at reasonable prices, both revolvers and pistols. How do they stay in business in the US? Maybe they sell alot of guns in other countries? So thoughts on Taurus handguns????? Would you buy a Taurus with all the other quality manufacturers out there????
    I used S&W with a sheriffs dept and loved it so I bought a S&W 4516. It jammed a lot so sent it in and they pollished the port and added more springs. It worked ok but was way too heavy to carry. Bought a 38cal model 85 but kicked like a mule so sold it to my son. I had a Browning and it was the pits. Sent it in and they got it so it would shoot sometimes. Bought the Taurus PT111 Millinium Pro 9mm because it was said the 3rd generation had all the bugs out and it was a very good pistol. I have had it for 3 years and love it. When I did my CCW training in Mcallan,TX we shot 50 rounds in a driving rain storm. This little gun was foaming out oily water through all 50 rounds. Scored 3 below perfect and never jammed or misfired. It may copy other mfgs but I don't know who copies who. Tauris International out of Miami,fl has a lifetime warrenty on their weapons and I find this to be a perfect partner. I carry it every day. If you keep it clean and well lubed it will not miss a beat. But you may want to spend $200 more and get an S&W.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I have always slammed them because of numerous past QC problems that never seemed to have any pattern to them AKA no rhyme or reason. Years ago first their revolvers were suffering catastrophic failures then they were OK. Then some other make or model would be sharing the same fate. Then that one would be OK and then shooters were having problems again. Then one semi would be initially OK and then they would install a different extractor and those would break.

I do believe that any company can change, improve, ramp up the QC etc.
    Taurus has really expanded their facility and invested in some Hi-Tech CNC equip and so maybe things will get better for them in general.

I am happy that the shooters that bought one and got a good gun are not having any problems. I don't want to ever see any gun folks get a dog firearm. That is never fun.

I have a PT 92 stainless; an 845 and a stainless 605 (357 mag). I just bought a polymer Judge Public Defender. Have had ZERO issues with all of them. Trust my life to the 605 as it is my everyday carry. Sorry so many people have had trouble with them. The lifetime warranty (for every owner, 2nd, 3rd, 105th, whatever) is a great selling point. Here's a Taurus forum where you can get the scoop on their models and problems (or lack thereof) from Taurus owners:
    Taurus Firearms Forum - TaurusArmed.net / Taurus Guns

I had a TCP did not like it, I still have a Judge Public Defender.

I have a poly Judge PD and the wife has a model 85 ultra lite and we love both. Never had a prob out of either. One of my buddies has a PT1911 and will put it up against a Kimber any day...

I have a 24/7 gen 2 in 45acp and have never had an issue with it. That being said it was purchased as a "fun gun" not primary self defense.

All of my "need it now" weapons are Smith, Colt, Ruger or Remmington.
    "If 10% is good enough for Jesus, it ought to be enough for Uncle Sam" Ray Stevens

Enough of this "my Taurus Model bla-bla-bla runs perfectly & you're all just a bunch of gun snobs". Show me a professional shooter, a military branch or a reputable LE agency (outside of Brazil) that shoots, approves or issues Taurus firearms. Do y'all think we're...making all this up?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I think it's funny how at both Bass Pro and Cabelas around me the Taurus brand are the only ones they really have stock on. There are a few Sigs and other guns too, but the full Taurus line seems to still be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bstock87 View Post
    I think it's funny how at both Bass Pro and Cabelas around me the Taurus brand are the only ones they really have stock on. There are a few Sigs and other guns too, but the full Taurus line seems to still be there.
    The simple explanation is; right now the guns folks WANT are out-of-stock. The guns folks DON'T want are...still in the case. Free market capitalism can explain a lot of things, without having to say a word. Anybody notice that Toyota & Honda didn't need to be...federally BAILED-OUT?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I used to be indecisive about Taurus, now I'm not so sure..
    sebring likes this.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

Re: What's the deal with Taurus handguns?

My pt92's both work flawlessly.. one is a '90 the other is a'92.. they will feed anything from wad cutters to plinking rounds to you name it. Nothing but praise for Taurus.

I was going to get a newer pt92 with the rail.. but they feel lighter to me.. I almost bought a nice 1911 Taurus... but I backed out and got another AR instead.

I like the feel of my tauri over my glock too... that's just personal preference.

Also, Taurus has an awesome warranty.. for the life of the gun... not you, or whomever, the gun...

...I don't want my family making use of the warranty because it didn't function for me...I've heard from a friend T has a new pres. and is rebuilding their QC...once they face the necessity...they can improve...the ones I've had/shot have functioned well, but I'm not comfortable relying on them...yet...same like Charter...too many stories out there...and I personally know a couple...we'll see...

I did not know there was any sort of "deal" with Taurus handguns.

We have a pretty nice assortment of various make hand guns here including the Beretta & Taurus version of the 92.

2_92AF_zpsc9d26b27.jpg

Zero problems with either one, and we actually like the looks of the Taurus better.
    We got the Taurus used for half of what the Beretta cost new.
    Had we found it first the Beretta would have probably never been purchased.

Honestly I would take my S&W 686 over any semi-auto hand gun, but that's another story.......

I hated Glocks when they first came out, yet today we own a few.

I read reviews and listen to peoples opinions on things but I never let someone else make up my mind for me.

(unless it is my wife)
    Eric357 likes this.

I own a PT 845, a full sized .45 caliber with 12 round magazine. It shoot smoothe and accurately. I have had no problems with mine.

I currently have 22 handguns, of many different makes. Sig, Colt, H&K, S&W, Ruger, and Walther. I have one Taurus, a 6" .357. It is the only Taurus I have ever owned. It is a great gun. It is as realiable as any of my other weapons. It is also dead-on accurrate. I don't know about their customer service, because I have never had to use them.

Links