What's the deal with Taurus handguns? - Page 14

What's the deal with Taurus handguns?

This is a discussion on What's the deal with Taurus handguns? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought a TCP 738 for my wife a little over a month ago. I think a bag of rocks would have been better. Sending ...

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: What's the deal with Taurus handguns?

New Member Array Darrenrandolph's Avatar
    I bought a TCP 738 for my wife a little over a month ago. I think a bag of rocks would have been better. Sending it back tomorrow. I gave her my sig and now I am packing a full size 1911 springfield. Never buy another Taurus. Absolute junk!

I have 2 and sometimes carry one. I have the pt140 and pt145... No issues here

I have had 3 Taurus' for the last 4 years. I have a 1911 in 45 and loved it, I had a friend do just a little trigger work and made it just a little crisper but I really liked it before and would recommend it to anyone. We bought my daughter a pink 24/7 in 9mm for graduation and she loves it, in fact I liked shooting it so much I bought myself one in 40 cal. What I really like is the double tap, so if you pull the trigger and the round doesn't fire you can squeeze the trigger ten more times if you like before you eject the current round to cycle in another. The 24/7 also has a de-cocking lever. With no external safety I really like that so it takes it off the hair trigger until you fire another round than it goes back to the light trigger. I nor my daughter have had not one issue with these two firearms, I would recommend them to anyone.

When a friend and I had an FFLs years ago, we would have to return about 1 gun out of every 4-5 Tarus handguns for replacement because of mechanical issues. Between the 2 of us, we must have bought 100 pistols of various brands and test fired them at the range before we sold them. We were looking for the best value possible and selling to people we knew. Unfortunately Taurus came up short.

Revolver that didn't have proper alignment of the cylinder and barrel, etc. I had a 92f and the locking cross bar broke a lug off at the range with less than 500 rounds through it. Returned to Taurus and they fixed it promptly...and then I sold it. Taurus was good at correcting them...no questions asked.

This was probably 15 years ago so I can't say what the quality is today. Hopefully they improved alot since then.

They are Crap. But supposedly the CEO or whoever, wants to turn the company around. We shall see.
    Glock 20sf, Sig P938

Re: What's the deal with Taurus handguns?

I bought a Taurus 380 TCP a few weeks ago. It was horrible. It literally jammed on every other bullet. I responded to the first online post I came across wanting to trade for a pistol and have replaced it with a Marlin 60 22LR.

For a gun to carry, I need something that I can depend on. I don't think a Taurus is that gun.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    The Judge and the 1911 are really the only two models they got right, the rest is trash. Their revolvers are hit and miss.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.--->Herbert Spencer

Springfield xd 45, Sig Sauer SP2022(9mm),Remington 700(.308), Yugo M10 variant w/IZH Kobra optic,...and lots of ammo for all of 'em.

No issues with my new PT 709 Slim.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Never had a problem with mine but I bought it 18 yrs ago and they said quality better back then

Quote Originally Posted by xsigma40cal View Post
    The Judge and the 1911 are really the only two models they got right, the rest is trash. Their revolvers are hit and miss.
    I have their 1911 and I love it. It was noticeably cheaper than other 1911s at my local store, but it was also well used. I've put ~500 rounds thru it with only one FTE, and I was told that that isn't a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    No real Taurus experience here with the exception of a 617 that I had awhile back and have since traded. It was a 7 shot 357 mag with factory ports. I did not have any problems with it but the trigger left much to be desired. It wasn't my cuppa tea but it was serviceable. I think if you stick with Taurus revolvers and pass on their semi autos you'll have a better chance of having a decent gun.
    I purchased a Taurus 605B2 .357 Mag is 2008 as a BUG for on duty carry and as an off duty weapon. NIB, it was jacked up. The cylinder turned in an oblong circle, causing case headstamps to catch on the frame and lock the gun up. It was sent back three times, each time returned saying it was repaired, when in fact it wasnt. My sister, an experienced shooter, purchased a .40 cal millennium compact for ccw / home defense. At 10 yds, it shot groups rivaled only by a shotgun, pushing 3-4 inches. I would never bet my life on a company that cannot produce consistent quality products. Spend a little more and get a weapon that you can trust.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

The only issue with Taurus is people want Mercedes performance, Honda reliability, while only paying a used car lot price. I have the PT 638 .380 I bought for my fiancé because she hates shooting the bigger caliber handguns. This weapon has nearly zero recoil and is ideal for female shooters with small hands. I have pretty large hands and it feels decent in my hand. The next to nothing recoil is really fun emptying a 15 round mag rapidly while never coming off target.

One thing with ALL Taurus handguns I have encountered. You MUST clean it very thoroughly to get all that nasty sticky preservative junk they put it at the factory. It's almost like cosmoline that's on Soviet surplus rifles. Once you think it's clean, clean it again. You don't want carbon mixing with that junk cause it will turn into a JB weld like consistency.

Also, my 638 is picky on ammo. If it looks shorter than normal, expect the first round in the mag to fail to feed. Try angling the weapon up and down range to chamber that first round. Once I got used to it, and we figured out it's quirks and what ammo it likes (PMC target/range ammo and Speer Gold Dot defense rounds) I have not had a single issue with it and feel comfortable having the old lady carry it.

Like I said, it's a less expensive weapon, but people expect it to perform like a Beretta, Glock, Sig, ect that cost twice as much. I don't claim to know much, but after 3 trips to the range with the gun, we had her figured out.

Clean, Clean, Clean, and you shouldn't have issues with the PT 638.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    If you buy a Taurus and have an issue, you get told "I told you they were junk!"

If you buy a Ruger and have an issue, you get told "Send it in, Ruger will take care of you!"

In my experience, Taurus will take care of you as well - and on their dime none the less.

I've had 2 customer service experiences, one with a Ruger LCP and the other with a Taurus TCP - both needed to be sent in, both were fixed, free of charge (including shipping both ways). If I had to make the choice again, I'd go with the Taurus TCP for several reasons (which I did).

My experience with two 740s has been universally bad, both for performance and customer service. My 740 has 1)had the front sight fly off 2)the trigger bar broke 3)the slide won't lock back since returning from CS for the trigger bar. In short, my gun went to Taurus and actually came back in worse condition that before! My girlfriend's 740 1)came from the factory with stripped screws on the sight adjustment 2)will randomly eject magazines when fired.

Both guns are currently sitting in their boxes in my closet...

Send them to me. I'll deal with them.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special - Walther P22
    LMT STD 16 - Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9

Sponsored Links