What's the deal with Taurus handguns? - Page 15

What's the deal with Taurus handguns?

This is a discussion on What's the deal with Taurus handguns? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had a Taurus PT92 for a while, bought it cheap at a pawn shop. It had been well used, and I shot the living ...

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: What's the deal with Taurus handguns?

I had a Taurus PT92 for a while, bought it cheap at a pawn shop. It had been well used, and I shot the living crap out of it. I never had any issues with it, ate anything I fed it, and I could put rounds on target with it. I liked having the frame-mounted safety and really my only complaint was sometimes magazines would stick when I reloaded. Turned out to be a burr inside the well and a few passes with a file fixed that in a hurry. A friend of mine just got a PT92 of his own and it's working great for him, too. My uncle had a couple older Taurus Millenniums that were hit and miss for him, one shot great and another made a couple visits to the gunsmith. I shot a borrowed PT809 at the range one day, liked how it felt in my hands, seemed to shoot well. The owner said he had issues when he first got it but that it was his own error as he didn't clean it well enough and some of the packing grease was gumming up the trigger.

I have read a lot of the things people have said about Taurus but I look at it like this. Some people love them, some hate them. Same thing goes for every gun maker, just go on Youtube and search for reviews on any gun, and you'll find any answer you want to hear. Take the Kel-Tec PF9 as an example. That's a company and a gun that catches as much flack as Taurus, maybe even more. Several well-known reviewers on Youtube sing its praises and recommend it as a great carry piece. But others absolutely hate it and have no qualms about telling everyone who will listen what a piece of crap the gun is. Who do you believe? The same concept applies to any product. My experience with Taurus is only limited to what I just wrote. For all I know they really are a junk product and I saw the rare gems. But I will say, I would be willing to give them a shot, especially for the money. If I can put a gun through the paces and it functions like it's intended, then I'd have no problems trusting my life with it, no matter what the gun costs.

I have a PT140 Millenium pro that has been good to me. I put 200 rd through it, and 200 through my Glock 19 saturday without a problem. I keep reading its going to mess up, but have yet to see it happen.

Whilst shopping for a .357, I shot a Taurus Model 66 and a S&W Model 686 back to back at the range. The difference between the two was amazing. The S&W shot like butter. The Taurus, even though it is a direct ripoff of the 686, had a trigger that felt like it was full of rocks. Needless to say, I bought a 686.

Mixed bag... so far

Until this week, I considered myself a huge Taurus fan. Now, I'll need to wait and see.

I've owned a PT92 since the late 80's, and it is STILL my very favorite gun. Tight, tight, tight groups, it eats every piece of substandard, cheap or ancient ammo I ever put through it, and works well with aftermarket mags that are over 20 years old. It fits my hand like a glove. I truly love that gun.

This week, after my wife took her CHL class, we bought a PT709. I loved the high visibility sites, the slimness of the grip, and the light weight. After the mandatory clean it a few times to get started ritual, she took it to the range and came back pretty disappointed. The accuracy wasn't great, and we thought it might need to be zero'd. No big deal... But she said she also had some problems with it. I took it out this morning, and the groups were pretty good at 7 yds, but it continually fails to feed or eject, both with some cheap ammo I had left and with the range standard ammo they use for rentals. In some cases, we would get this on every round, and sometimes once per mag. I tried a few techniques to minimize this, including making sure my finger completely released the trigger on every shot, to no avail.

Some of the other posts here make me hope that it's fixable, and I'll contact Taurus. I'm glad they seem to have great service - I've never had to use them before, and I've shot 1000's of rounds through my PT92. I still have hopes that this will be redeemed.

We also test fired a Ruger LC9 today, and it was very reliable and comfortable, but the long pull made my groups horrible compared to the 709, although my wife seemed to improve rapidly with it. We'll see!

-Banzai!

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Links