What's the deal with Taurus handguns?

This is a discussion on What's the deal with Taurus handguns? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by C hawk Glock No, they would go bankrupt if they did........ Smartass....

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: What's the deal with Taurus handguns?

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    No, they would go bankrupt if they did........
    Smartass.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    I have looked at the 445 Ultra-lite and it might be worth it even if you had to invest a couple of hundred dollars to make it right.

Any opinions how it compares to the Charter Arms Bulldog?

Jim

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    I've owned two Taurus pistols and both had serious problems. One I made "semi-right" by buying new mags out of my own pocket, and the other was sent back for a broken trigger in about three mags fired.

But I've shared the gory details many times here and I don't care to reiterate. So, I only want to add this:

Considering that Taurus typically sells for about 15-20% less than a comparable pistol from Springfield, S&W, Glock, and others with far better reputations, why take the risk, not only with your money but possibly with your life? I seriously don't think it's worth it.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

So early on they did have problems, last 10yr or so their quality is a good as anyone. I have 3 different ones and 0 issues.

Just my .02$

Dave

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by toytruckman View Post
    So early on they did have problems, last 10yr or so their quality is a good as anyone.
    I can check my timeline to be sure, but I'm almost positive that 2008 and 2010 were within the last 10 years, and both of the Taurus pistols I bought in those years were dogs. There are new complaints about them every day, so I don't know where you're getting your information.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

I own a 357 669 that I have had for about 16 years maybe a few more hard to place when I bought it. It is as good today as ever.
    Taurus autos a different story. Have had friends that bough them and a lot of ups and downs. A large dealer I use was taking with a customer one day I listened in.
    It went like this I'll sell you the Taurus if thats is what you want but I bet you'll be bring it back. He went on to explain a laundry list of issue they had with new Taurus Autos.
    So for fun when he was finished with that customer I walked over and ask to look a a new Taurus . I will not type what he said, been warned once already.
    He knows me well so I let him in on the joke, then he said it was getting to the point he did not want to sell any of their Autos any more.
    Your life your money you choice

I bought a Taurus...but the mileage
    was horrible and it looked funny to me...Like a car my grandparents would drive....so I gave it to my teenager...
    l1a1 and chefjon like this.

There are quite a few firearms manufacturers' products that I'm so grateful that I'm not required to own and use and Taurus products are one of them.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Told you so?

My Taurus experience is as follows...

I have owned a titanium framed 2" snub .38 special which not only was flawless in double or single action but could print silver dollar size 5 shot groups at 25 yards from a rest. That was much more than I expected! Never a single issue with that one.

I have since bought a PT111 9mm that has fed several hundred rounds without the slightest hint of a problem. Don't really care for the Heinie Straight 8 sights though. I carry this without hesitation. I just shoot a bit low with the sights.

I also bought a PT140 and it too has fed everything I put through it and I carry it on a regular basis. Great, reliable, accurate weapon that is a joy to conceal and carry just like it's little brother. Same issue with the Straight 8 sights which are getting modded to be 3 dots as we speak.

I also had opportunity to fire a PT1911 as well as a variety of other 1911's ranging from S&W, Colt GI, and Argentinian Modelo 1921 versions.

The PT1911 was every bit as good of a shooter as the others and the owner said it had at least a thousand rounds through it without an issue.

Are there better firearms available? Undoubtedly. Are the Taurus's good bang for the buck? Certainly.

Never had an issue with one or met someone that has. (Possibly I don't get out as much as I should!) Good luck.

I strongly suspect that the Taurus pistols are not as bad as their opponents think they are and not quite as good as their supporters think they are. The truth is probably right smack in the middle. :)

I have one Taurus. A 24/7 DSS Pro in 9mm. Bought it on recommendation of the shop owner after discovery that he did not have the SR9 in stock that I called him about. Not that much less in price than the SR9. Definitely lower in quality. Although I have put about 400 rounds thru it with absolutely no malfunctions. With a variety of ammo. Trigger is not bad at all.

Edited post to note:
    No way this would be a carry gun. Right now that is a Glock. For a range gun, the 24/7 is fun to shoot. Nothing wrong with that. If your philosophy is the same as mine. So many calibers, so little time. I love things that go bang. So far the Taurus has done that every time.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Apparently, I'm in the minority. I owned a PT145 Millenium Pro which was flawless & shot anything I put through it. I got rid of it to change up my carry guns, wanting to CC 9mms instead (Want lighter weight guns, 2 back surgeries does that to you).

I currently own a PT709 Slim. It needed break-in, but seems reliable. It shoots Winchester white box with NO issues (They advise against WWB ammo, BTW), but has problems with my issued ammo (Winchester T series LE ammo). However, it shoots other HPs fine.

The overall F&F of both guns are on par with other "name" brands & I have no clue about their CS because I haven't had to return anything to them.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

All I can say is both of my Taurus m85UL's have been good revolvers. Know others personally that are quite satisfied with there product line.

Cy
    This thread gave me a good chuckle. IMO it seems a shooter will hate on any brand that isn't their favorite like the toy Glocks, etc. I've had 2 Taurus pistols and loved them to death but had to part with them when times were rough. Had a PT1911 and a Raging Bull .44 Mag. Both flawless and veteran shooters at the range were surprised by shot quality of my guns. Now that things are better these days will I purchase those pistols again? Damn right! Lifetime warranty works for me. I personally think Taurus has great bang for your buck. Not ashamed to shoot a Taurus here but I enjoy my Springfield Armory and S&W pistols too.

Quote Originally Posted by Cy View Post
    This thread gave me a good chuckle. IMO it seems a shooter will hate on any brand that isn't their favorite like the toy Glocks, etc. I've had 2 Taurus pistols and loved them to death but had to part with them when times were rough. Had a PT1911 and a Raging Bull .44 Mag. Both flawless and veteran shooters at the range were surprised by shot quality of my guns. Now that things are better these days will I purchase those pistols again? Damn right! Lifetime warranty works for me. I personally think Taurus has great bang for your buck. Not ashamed to shoot a Taurus here but I enjoy my Springfield Armory and S&W pistols too.
    This thread has given me a good chuckle. Apparently some Taurus owners will defend to the death their choice in buying a sub-par firearm.
    SIGguy229 likes this.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Links