What's the deal with Taurus handguns?

This is a discussion on What's the deal with Taurus handguns? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am just bracing and waiting for the Taurus bashers / haters to come in and have their peace. I know it will be soon...real ...

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: What's the deal with Taurus handguns?

I am just bracing and waiting for the Taurus bashers / haters to come in and have their peace. I know it will be soon...real soon, they hate to miss an oppurtunity like this since there was a recent thread of some Taurus problems. LOL !!! God Bless

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    I am just bracing and waiting for the Taurus bashers / haters to come in and have their peace. I know it will be soon...real soon, they hate to miss an oppurtunity like this since there was a recent thread of some Taurus problems. LOL !!! God Bless
    If you want a very TRUTHFUL and OBJECTIVE ANALYSIS of Taurus® products I recommend you go here..........
    www.TaurusArmed.net

You will get the good, the bad, and the ugly; without the BS.
    RemMod597 likes this.
    David
    Only two defining forces have ever died for you.....
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, and Coast Guardsman.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Quote Originally Posted by dawei View Post
    If you want a very TRUTHFUL and OBJECTIVE ANALYSIS of Taurus® products I recommend you go here..........
    www.TaurusArmed.net

You will get the good, the bad, and the ugly; without the BS.
    Thanks for posting this link ^^^
    I found this (TCP 738 reliability enhancements) there and spent an hour today tuning up my TCP.
    I'm pretty sure it'll eat anything now.

I shot mt TCP a bunch more after the mods and I really like this gun. It shoots an inch or 2 high and an inch right at 21'. The only thing I would change is more visable sights. So I'm going to do that. I'm not sure what I'm going to do but it might get a tritium front sight fairly soon.

I have a Taurus 24/7 G2C 40 cal. I've only fired a couple boxes of 180 grain FMJ's and 180 grain hollow points so far with no problems whatsoever. If I have a failure in the next 1000 rounds or so I'll let you know.
    -----

Bob - US Army Retired - Desert Storm
    Central Texas

I had a Taurus PT140 gen 2 for 8 years with no problems. I recently traded it for an SR40c because it was time for something new and I really liked the SR40. I've nothing bad to say about my Taurus experience.

Taurus Autos have a checked past and present They are a hit or a miss Auto
    The revolvers they offer have proven to be pretty good weapons I own a couple that were purchased years ago.
    I have changed how and what I buy now days and will no longer buy any fire arm not made in the US by a US owned company.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontificator View Post
    This thread has given me a good chuckle. Apparently some Taurus owners will defend to the death their choice in buying a sub-par firearm.
    Buttwipe.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    No, they would go bankrupt if they did........
    This quote's for you. "Don't let your Internet alligator mouth overload your hummingbird ass"

VIP Member
    To the OP, you won't get a consensus. I've bought a lot of guns of different makes, and I've had problems with some made by highly respected manufacturers (Smith and Wesson ring a bell). Most Smith purists bemoan the "quality" of current Smith revolvers. Some people claim Kimbers are inherently unreliable. Yada yada yada....

Got to a range, try some out. See if you like them. Every manufacturer produces a lemon gun every once in a while. Anonymous Internet users, however, produce lemon posts far more frequently.
    darbo likes this.

No Problems With Taurus!

Quote Originally Posted by imjustron View Post
    Some people have had failures and had to send them back for repairs or traded them in. A lot of the people that trash them have never owned one, just perpetuated the hate. Some know someone that had a Taurus that FTF once or some such. Others think they're awesome. Look at the comments thus far...I've never owned one, but... I've had several and they suck, I've never had problems with any of mine... Wide variety of opinions which means...decide for yourself if you want to give one a whirl and take all our opinions with a grain of salt. As for me, I have 2...a PT740 and a TCP 738. I have over a thousand rounds through both and the only single FTF was a bad round...not the gun. I also have 3 glocks...I prefer Glocks as a personal choice, but I carry my Taurus' on occasion as well and I trust them completely.
    I'll give a big DITTO to imjustron, seems like the rep is spread by a lot of people who've never owned a Taurus. I have six different Taurus pistols and they've all been flawless. I'll eventually get a Sig and/or a Walther probably but I'm not going to make a comment on their quality until I've actually owned and shot the weapons. I carry a Taurus 809C and I trust my life with it.
    "The Best Handgun is the one you have with you when you need it"

I can't really comment on the quality of Taurus as a whole, or on Taurus customer service because I've never had to use it.

I've owned one Taurus for a while, and just bought another.

It has long been my belief that Taurus makes serviceable firearms that are just a bit rough around the edges, and maybe not as refined. However, the reason I bought my TCP is for the exact opposite reason. It's far more refined, better built, and enjoyable to shoot than it's LCP competitor, which I also own. And so far, has been utterly reliable.

The model 85 .357 revolver has been very serviceable and accurate, but the trigger is heavy and rough. That, coupled with handling other Taurus semi autos on various occasions, has led me to the 'rough around the edges' belief.

If the latest iteration of the Taurus TCP is any indication, perhaps Taurus is trying to move beyond this stigma. Until I actually handled the TCP I didn't really give Taurus a serious look. The PT-709 I handled, for example, just didn't feel as good or have anything better to offer than the Kahr CW9 I ultimately ended up buying that day. Again, it just felt rough around the edges by comparison.

Would I buy another Taurus? Possibly. I'm not brand loyal to any one brand. If I was looking for a firearm in a particular segment, and, after careful research, found that the Taurus offered better quality and features than it's competition...then I'd give it some serious consideration.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Try Ruger,resonable prices,much better quality.

I'd be hard pressed to find a gun in my collection I enjoy shooting as much as this 17 year old PT-92. It has never failed to go bang, and is a tack driver out to 20 yards (eye sight limit).
    Have a bunch of Mec-Gar 20 round mags for this gun, and when the SHTF, it would be a good one to have at your side.

or this PT92 made in 1987......

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by RayBar View Post
    Try Ruger,resonable prices,much better quality.
    Comparing an LCP to a TCP, I beg to differ.

zonker1986, that's a nice looking gun!

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Links