Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What's the deal with Taurus handguns?

67K views 218 replies 162 participants last post by  Kilowatt3 
#1 ·
From what I have seen on this site and on other sites on the internet, it seems like most people handgun owners do not have alot of positive things to say about Taurus handguns. I know they are a Brazilian company, is it the quality, comfort, reliability that is substandard? I know they copied Beretta and the 92F. Seems like they copied Smith and Wesson in some designs as well. They sure have a huge selection of guns at reasonable prices, both revolvers and pistols. How do they stay in business in the US? Maybe they sell alot of guns in other countries? So thoughts on Taurus handguns????? Would you buy a Taurus with all the other quality manufacturers out there????

#186 ·
I have a 24/7 gen 2 in 45acp and have never had an issue with it. That being said it was purchased as a "fun gun" not primary self defense.

All of my "need it now" weapons are Smith, Colt, Ruger or Remmington.

#187 ·
Enough of this "my Taurus Model bla-bla-bla runs perfectly & you're all just a bunch of gun snobs". Show me a professional shooter, a military branch or a reputable LE agency (outside of Brazil) that shoots, approves or issues Taurus firearms. Do y'all think we're...making all this up?

#189 ·
The simple explanation is; right now the guns folks WANT are out-of-stock. The guns folks DON'T want are...still in the case. Free market capitalism can explain a lot of things, without having to say a word. Anybody notice that Toyota & Honda didn't need to be...federally BAILED-OUT?

#191 ·
My pt92's both work flawlessly.. one is a '90 the other is a'92.. they will feed anything from wad cutters to plinking rounds to you name it. Nothing but praise for Taurus.

I was going to get a newer pt92 with the rail.. but they feel lighter to me.. I almost bought a nice 1911 Taurus... but I backed out and got another AR instead.

I like the feel of my tauri over my glock too... that's just personal preference.

Also, Taurus has an awesome warranty.. for the life of the gun... not you, or whomever, the gun...

#192 ·
...I don't want my family making use of the warranty because it didn't function for me...I've heard from a friend T has a new pres. and is rebuilding their QC...once they face the necessity...they can improve...the ones I've had/shot have functioned well, but I'm not comfortable relying on them...yet...same like Charter...too many stories out there...and I personally know a couple...we'll see...

#193 ·
I did not know there was any sort of "deal" with Taurus handguns.

We have a pretty nice assortment of various make hand guns here including the Beretta & Taurus version of the 92.

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel

Zero problems with either one, and we actually like the looks of the Taurus better.
We got the Taurus used for half of what the Beretta cost new.
Had we found it first the Beretta would have probably never been purchased.

Honestly I would take my S&W 686 over any semi-auto hand gun, but that's another story.......

I hated Glocks when they first came out, yet today we own a few.

I read reviews and listen to peoples opinions on things but I never let someone else make up my mind for me.

(unless it is my wife)

Reactions: Eric357
#195 ·
I currently have 22 handguns, of many different makes. Sig, Colt, H&K, S&W, Ruger, and Walther. I have one Taurus, a 6" .357. It is the only Taurus I have ever owned. It is a great gun. It is as realiable as any of my other weapons. It is also dead-on accurrate. I don't know about their customer service, because I have never had to use them.

#198 ·
I have had 3 Taurus' for the last 4 years. I have a 1911 in 45 and loved it, I had a friend do just a little trigger work and made it just a little crisper but I really liked it before and would recommend it to anyone. We bought my daughter a pink 24/7 in 9mm for graduation and she loves it, in fact I liked shooting it so much I bought myself one in 40 cal. What I really like is the double tap, so if you pull the trigger and the round doesn't fire you can squeeze the trigger ten more times if you like before you eject the current round to cycle in another. The 24/7 also has a de-cocking lever. With no external safety I really like that so it takes it off the hair trigger until you fire another round than it goes back to the light trigger. I nor my daughter have had not one issue with these two firearms, I would recommend them to anyone.

#199 ·
When a friend and I had an FFLs years ago, we would have to return about 1 gun out of every 4-5 Tarus handguns for replacement because of mechanical issues. Between the 2 of us, we must have bought 100 pistols of various brands and test fired them at the range before we sold them. We were looking for the best value possible and selling to people we knew. Unfortunately Taurus came up short.

Revolver that didn't have proper alignment of the cylinder and barrel, etc. I had a 92f and the locking cross bar broke a lug off at the range with less than 500 rounds through it. Returned to Taurus and they fixed it promptly...and then I sold it. Taurus was good at correcting them...no questions asked.

This was probably 15 years ago so I can't say what the quality is today. Hopefully they improved alot since then.

#201 ·
I bought a Taurus 380 TCP a few weeks ago. It was horrible. It literally jammed on every other bullet. I responded to the first online post I came across wanting to trade for a pistol and have replaced it with a Marlin 60 22LR.

For a gun to carry, I need something that I can depend on. I don't think a Taurus is that gun.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

#202 ·
The Judge and the 1911 are really the only two models they got right, the rest is trash. Their revolvers are hit and miss.

#207 ·
The only issue with Taurus is people want Mercedes performance, Honda reliability, while only paying a used car lot price. I have the PT 638 .380 I bought for my fiancé because she hates shooting the bigger caliber handguns. This weapon has nearly zero recoil and is ideal for female shooters with small hands. I have pretty large hands and it feels decent in my hand. The next to nothing recoil is really fun emptying a 15 round mag rapidly while never coming off target.

One thing with ALL Taurus handguns I have encountered. You MUST clean it very thoroughly to get all that nasty sticky preservative junk they put it at the factory. It's almost like cosmoline that's on Soviet surplus rifles. Once you think it's clean, clean it again. You don't want carbon mixing with that junk cause it will turn into a JB weld like consistency.

Also, my 638 is picky on ammo. If it looks shorter than normal, expect the first round in the mag to fail to feed. Try angling the weapon up and down range to chamber that first round. Once I got used to it, and we figured out it's quirks and what ammo it likes (PMC target/range ammo and Speer Gold Dot defense rounds) I have not had a single issue with it and feel comfortable having the old lady carry it.

Like I said, it's a less expensive weapon, but people expect it to perform like a Beretta, Glock, Sig, ect that cost twice as much. I don't claim to know much, but after 3 trips to the range with the gun, we had her figured out.

Clean, Clean, Clean, and you shouldn't have issues with the PT 638.

#208 ·
If you buy a Taurus and have an issue, you get told "I told you they were junk!"

If you buy a Ruger and have an issue, you get told "Send it in, Ruger will take care of you!"

In my experience, Taurus will take care of you as well - and on their dime none the less.

I've had 2 customer service experiences, one with a Ruger LCP and the other with a Taurus TCP - both needed to be sent in, both were fixed, free of charge (including shipping both ways). If I had to make the choice again, I'd go with the Taurus TCP for several reasons (which I did).

#209 ·
My experience with two 740s has been universally bad, both for performance and customer service. My 740 has 1)had the front sight fly off 2)the trigger bar broke 3)the slide won't lock back since returning from CS for the trigger bar. In short, my gun went to Taurus and actually came back in worse condition that before! My girlfriend's 740 1)came from the factory with stripped screws on the sight adjustment 2)will randomly eject magazines when fired.

Both guns are currently sitting in their boxes in my closet...

#211 ·
I had a Taurus PT92 for a while, bought it cheap at a pawn shop. It had been well used, and I shot the living crap out of it. I never had any issues with it, ate anything I fed it, and I could put rounds on target with it. I liked having the frame-mounted safety and really my only complaint was sometimes magazines would stick when I reloaded. Turned out to be a burr inside the well and a few passes with a file fixed that in a hurry. A friend of mine just got a PT92 of his own and it's working great for him, too. My uncle had a couple older Taurus Millenniums that were hit and miss for him, one shot great and another made a couple visits to the gunsmith. I shot a borrowed PT809 at the range one day, liked how it felt in my hands, seemed to shoot well. The owner said he had issues when he first got it but that it was his own error as he didn't clean it well enough and some of the packing grease was gumming up the trigger.

I have read a lot of the things people have said about Taurus but I look at it like this. Some people love them, some hate them. Same thing goes for every gun maker, just go on Youtube and search for reviews on any gun, and you'll find any answer you want to hear. Take the Kel-Tec PF9 as an example. That's a company and a gun that catches as much flack as Taurus, maybe even more. Several well-known reviewers on Youtube sing its praises and recommend it as a great carry piece. But others absolutely hate it and have no qualms about telling everyone who will listen what a piece of crap the gun is. Who do you believe? The same concept applies to any product. My experience with Taurus is only limited to what I just wrote. For all I know they really are a junk product and I saw the rare gems. But I will say, I would be willing to give them a shot, especially for the money. If I can put a gun through the paces and it functions like it's intended, then I'd have no problems trusting my life with it, no matter what the gun costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.