What's the deal with Taurus handguns?

This is a discussion on What's the deal with Taurus handguns? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; From what I have seen on this site and on other sites on the internet, it seems like most people handgun owners do not have ...

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: What's the deal with Taurus handguns?

From what I have seen on this site and on other sites on the internet, it seems like most people handgun owners do not have alot of positive things to say about Taurus handguns. I know they are a Brazilian company, is it the quality, comfort, reliability that is substandard? I know they copied Beretta and the 92F. Seems like they copied Smith and Wesson in some designs as well. They sure have a huge selection of guns at reasonable prices, both revolvers and pistols. How do they stay in business in the US? Maybe they sell alot of guns in other countries? So thoughts on Taurus handguns????? Would you buy a Taurus with all the other quality manufacturers out there????

Uneven quality and unreliable service on the handguns that do go down.

I've never owned one but have been close to more than one Taurus owner who has been bedeviled with Taurus quality issues including one who had several, all of which were troublesome.

I've seen nothing in that line that I wanted to take a chance on.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I believe they sell alot of guns to uninformed buyers who dont shoot regularly. I have friends who have bought a Taurus for a defense gun and think they are good to go because they now have a gun and put very few rounds through it. Taurus innovative ideas such as the Judge just add to the sales by those who dont research before they buy.

As to your last question, why take a chance when buying a gun to trust your life to. I spend a little extra for better quality, reliability and service. My money goes to Glock.
    AS90 likes this.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

No real Taurus experience here with the exception of a 617 that I had awhile back and have since traded. It was a 7 shot 357 mag with factory ports. I did not have any problems with it but the trigger left much to be desired. It wasn't my cuppa tea but it was serviceable. I think if you stick with Taurus revolvers and pass on their semi autos you'll have a better chance of having a decent gun.
    blitzburgh likes this.

Everyone else has pretty much summed it up. Personally, I would rather put money into something that has a better track record, and customer service. There are some people on the forum that have had zero issues with them, but there have been enough threads where people have had issues to make me shy away. I personally feel there are better options in each category that they compete in.. so I never felt compelled to seriously consider a Taurus.

I have two: a PT99 purchased in 1985 with about 8,000 rounds through it without the first bobble, and a PT140 purchased two years ago with about 1,200 rounds through it. The only problem was the mag release broke at 300 rounds and it went to Florida and back is less than a week, and has been flawless since. Both pistols handle anything I have fed them.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I own two of them. But I'll mirror what others have said here and that is the reliability is below that of Glock, SIG, and other expensive guns. However, their quality is much better than the "Saturday Night Specials" like Jennings, Bryco, etc.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

eb
    In my opinion, they are inconsistent. My wife and I both have TCP 738s that have been flawless and were only $250 each. Conversely, I bought a PT145 .45 a while back, and it was a mess with fails-to-everything. Generally speaking, I no longer consider Taurus on my list after that one. They aren't THAT much cheaper than more proven guns typically. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a TCP based on my experiences though, if that is what floats your boat.

Taurus = junk.
    I have owned several Taurus handguns over the years and never had one that was worth anything. I tried giving them the benefit of the doubt time and time again but gave up on them completely after my fourth one had problems. I also work at a local gun store and cringe every time someone asks to see a Taurus. We've had one of their PT-22s come back twice now in a two month period and I doubt if it will ever be repaired to where it functions properly.
    marcclarke likes this.

Taurus are like S&W junk..all ths same..Just sent a S&W back...

I only have 1. The Taurus PT1911, which I carry. I have had zero problems with it that weren't my fault (faulty assembly).
    It has been as reliable as my USP and I make it a point to invite those who speak ill of MY Taurus to hit the range.
    I've converted 2 who have purchased their own and another one, a Kimber salesman never showed up.

Good Luck. Sam
    And the old man said, "We'll see..."

Quote Originally Posted by BIGSAM View Post
    I only have 1. The Taurus PT1911, which I carry. I have had zero problems with it that weren't my fault (faulty assembly).
    It has been as reliable as my USP and I make it a point to invite those who speak ill of MY Taurus to hit the range.
    I've converted 2 who have purchased their own and another one, a Kimber salesman never showed up.

Good Luck. Sam
    Oh there are some Taurus handguns that are problem-free. Unfortunately they are few and far between.
    marcclarke likes this.

Have shot their 1911, their 92, and some revolvers. No problems. I view the Beretta 92 and the Taurus 92 as equal and trust either.

eb
    I don't think all of their guns are junk, but definitely do your research before buying a Taurus. Make sure you get one of the "good" ones...

I generally see no point in buying most of what they have, as I can usually identify multiple options from more reliable manufacturers to buy instead (that often are the same price, or only nominally higher).

Some people have had failures and had to send them back for repairs or traded them in. A lot of the people that trash them have never owned one, just perpetuated the hate. Some know someone that had a Taurus that FTF once or some such. Others think they're awesome. Look at the comments thus far...I've never owned one, but... I've had several and they suck, I've never had problems with any of mine... Wide variety of opinions which means...decide for yourself if you want to give one a whirl and take all our opinions with a grain of salt. As for me, I have 2...a PT740 and a TCP 738. I have over a thousand rounds through both and the only single FTF was a bad round...not the gun. I also have 3 glocks...I prefer Glocks as a personal choice, but I carry my Taurus' on occasion as well and I trust them completely.
    JerryMac and thechriskarel like this.
    I am a hard-working self-employed conservative Christian white male gun owner. How else can I tick you off today?

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links