Looking for a pistol for my wife to CCW with.

This is a discussion on Looking for a pistol for my wife to CCW with. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think that I have finally talked my wife into getting a pistol to conceal carry. We stopped by the local gun shop tonight and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Looking for a pistol for my wife to CCW with.

I think that I have finally talked my wife into getting a pistol to conceal carry. We stopped by the local gun shop tonight and she eyed 2 different pistols that she liked. The first was the SIG Mosquito 22 LR pink frame. The second one was a the lavender lady 38 Special. I was wondering what you all think of these 2 pistols and which one you would choose?

i've heard good things about the SIG. .22lr will get the job done just as good as anything else. although, i would go with the .38. if your wife needed to use a gun in an sd situation, the .38 would have better/more penetration. especially if it were in the winter and she needed to shoot through a heavy coat.

I have a Sig Mosquito. It is a fun gun to shoot and to improve one's skills without breaking the bank. I would caution that it is very finicky about ammo. I use the CCI mini mags. I have a brick of Winchester 22LR and they do not work well.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

You need to realize that THINKING you've gotten your wife into concealed carry is similar to "I think I have my wife into joining me in a threesome". You can be hopeful, and we're all on your side.

Let us know how it turns out.
    SIGguy229 likes this.

VIP Member
    While the Sig is a good choice for inexpensive practice, I definitely would not recommend an .22 for a carry gun. Yes, I know the lowly little .22 has killed thousands of people over the years, but so have sticks and rocks. The .38 is a much better choice for a defensive weapon.
    oneshot likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Recently bought my wife a CZ 2075 RAMI BD. It is a 9mm and shoots like a champ.

I would not compromise on caliber. I will not have my family carry anything under 38+p or 9mm+p.

PS: When I bought my Walther P22 I looked at the Sig Mosquito first. I love my Sigs, so I had a natural inclination. What a disappointment. It felt cheap and the teardown was a real pain in the tush. The Walther P22 was not a ton easier to field strip & reassemble, but it was certainly easier than the Sig & it feels like an actual gun, not a toy.

PPS: You can get any weapon cerakoted or durakoted in any color you want.

I do not know the folks in the link, I just wanted to show the result:
    http://www.acoating.com/index.php?op...d=91&Itemid=92
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I would opt for the 38 , especially the lavendar, pink, whatever color will stand out in her purse, if that is where she is going to carry it. That way is she needs it, she is not diggin through her purse, she can look right to it. just my 4 cents....good luck
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Obviously you are going to get a million different opinions.. SO here's mine.

Is she just looking for a lavender gun? Or is the caliber part of her decision making? While I'll be the first to admit a .22LR is an acceptable self-defense round, I don't think it is preferable when there are alternatives available. If low recoil is part of the equation might I suggest having her look at some of the .32 caliber guns available. Many of the popular guns are available in .32 caliber if you know where to look. If the lavender is a big part of the equation, there are other guns available. For example, I bought the gun in this photo for my female cousin last week as a Christmas present..

This is a Taurus TCP 738 and is chambered in .380 but should also be available in .32 caliber.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I got rid of my Sig Mosquito, grew tired of it's 'finicky' appetite. My Ruger 22/45 is the one I should have bought in the first place.

I would not recommend a .22 for carry though. There's a lot of little .380's and .38's and 9mm that I would recommend for any woman. That TCP 738 is a nice gun, as is a Kahr PM9.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

A.22,are you actually considering this as a S.D.gun for your Wife,and a semi-auto at that,sheesh.......,go with the .38,less failures,easy to learn on,can shoot through her purse with less chance of a stoppage,i.e. slide function,and don't buy some cheapo junk,a Smith 442 can be had for about 350.00,used for about 250.00-300.00,and buy a set of pink hogue grips.,would make a nice Christmas gift

Quote Originally Posted by rbennett9999 View Post
    I think that I have finally talked my wife into getting a pistol to conceal carry. We stopped by the local gun shop tonight and she eyed 2 different pistols that she liked. The first was the SIG Mosquito 22 LR pink frame. The second one was a the lavender lady 38 Special. I was wondering what you all think of these 2 pistols and which one you would choose?
    I would choose the one she liked to hold, carry, and shoot.

It doesn't matter what we (or you) think what she chooses. She has to feel comfortable carrying it (physically and emotionally)...and have the mindset to use it. I'd also spend the money to send her to training--and not just training to get a permit, but real training on the employment of the firearm (after she's mastered the basics of gun safety and handling)

Might we refer you to: Cornered Cat
    boomer1 likes this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Choosing a handgun for carry depends on the person and their ability to opperate one. Let your wife look at various ones, hold them, dry fire them and see which one she would feel comfortable with.

My wife looked at several small semi auto 9's and .380's in addition to some small .38 revolvers. She chose the Ruger LCP for her 1st ever pistol. The smaller 9mm & .380's are a hard to shoot a lot, definitely will not be a target pistol, their primary function is self defense much like the full size semi autos. If you wife is not going to shoot much, a small semi in 9mm or .380 will be good.

My wife wanted a small revolver to compliment the LCP. She looked at several, Smith & Wesson, Taurus and the Ruger LCR. Both she and I liked the LCR for it's features and ease of trigger pull in a hammerless wheel gun. I finally broke down and bought her a .357 magnum LCR for her birthday. Getting the .357 had the advantage of two calibers, they will shoot .38spl and the +P .38spl as well as .357magnum. Just because you have .357 doesn't mean you must shoot it all the time.

We took her new toy to the range and even with the .357 magnum rounds, she was able to hold it down and cut holes in the center of the target. She loves the thing, and so do I. I would highly recommend it to anyone as a first time handgun.

Good luck with HER choice in handguns!
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

She wouldn't be learning she is prior service so she knows how but something happened years back and I am just now getting her to where she will handle one again. I will run them buy her and see what she say and no color isn't a factor it was the way they fit her hand

Instead of seeing what we would choose, you should let her choose. I would suggest reading Cornered Cat and getting an idea there. The sites owner is a woman with a vast amount of experience shooting and she has written some excellent articles about women and guns. She also has some great advice in her articles about what gun a man should choose for the women in his life.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I have nothing to "go" with lavender.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links