S&W M&P 40FS/40c who has one and what do you think?

This is a discussion on S&W M&P 40FS/40c who has one and what do you think? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good morning all I am new to carry but not new to shooting(and thats the most ill give for an intro here as its not ...

Thread: S&W M&P 40FS/40c who has one and what do you think?

Good morning all I am new to carry but not new to shooting(and thats the most ill give for an intro here as its not my issue ... I dont think)
    I just have a few questions about the M&P .... more importantly the compact version. I test fired a M&P 40 VTAC and fell in love with the gun so I bought one and have decided to carry it, I have several other pistols but the MP I think i like the best for carry. I love the VTAC sights took a few rds to get used to but theyre great. any ways Im just curious if any of you have own or fired the compact M&P and would like to know what you think of it. I dont particulary like compacts for several reasons but the most important is the performance factor under stress (Fight or Flight), I have fired 3-4 compacts and dont like any of them the kick is stupid bad. A friend of mine has the xdc 40 I can hit the target but cant get a good grouping for my life same with the beretta px4 9 any ways I was just wondering if the m&Pc is any better.
    Carrying a weapon is a choice that he sheep dogs of the world have made, and if at all possable Id like to be as comfortable as possable but still have a weapon that I know I am going to be able to count on under a situation. I have trained with the beretta 92 as well as the sig 229 40 <- my favorite untill the M&P. Do I just need more practice with a compact or should I just stick with what Im comfortable with I guess is really where Im going with this. Just really looking for opinios on the weapon and maby a bit of advice. Im carrying the M&P 40 in a King tuc at the 500. The grip sticks out a bit to much so I am concedering a compact but wont compromise with performance. I refuse to walk into a potential situation with a weapon that I cant controll, that will (or could) end up badly.

Administrator
    I've spent some time with the 9mm version, and I like it a lot. My only complaint stems from a pet peeve of mine, the magazine becomes part of the grip. Not really a terrible thing, but it does bother me.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have both an M&P 9 Pro and a M&P 40 Compact. They have both been great for me. POI is a little bit different for ME than my XD's, but they can still be shot very accurately.
    ”The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.”
    ~James Earl Jones

XD40 Service - XD9 Subcompact - Range Officer - M&P9 Pro - M&P40 Compact - P238

I currently own a 40 and previously owned a 40c. About the service pistol, it is the one gun that I intend to reach if the alarm goes off in the night or it becomes necessary to run from danger. I got lucky with my trigger because although many owners complained about a gritty feel, mine has been smooth as glass from day one. It shoots well, recoils less than other guns of the same caliber, and is boringly reliable. Like the 1911 pistol, the M&P points naturally at what its operator is looking. Ergonomically, it is the best feeling gun of all that I own. Lots of accessories are available for the M&P line, finally. It is easily one of my favorite sidearms. The 40c I gave up in favor of the G27 because it was slightly larger than I needed. It was a great gun tho. Just a little too close in size to the G23.

Either one would make a good defensive pistol. If you are sensitive to the weight of a full sized gun on your waist, you probably don't want either. If I recall, the 40c is not that much lighter than the service pistol. OTOH, I carry the M&P frequently but as a person that's always carried full sized steel guns, I'm not bothered by the heft.

2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    The 40c is my EDC that I c-carry/IWB in a custom made, pancake kydex rig. The "compact" label is somewhat of a misnomer..."compact" it ain't, especially when you compare it to other "compacts" out there. Since acquiring it (slightly used), I've put approx. 750+ rounds through it, without one hiccup. I generally use factory rounds from Wally World for target (because, quite frankly, they're the cheapest and most readily available), and MAC ammo (JHP, 165 gr. nickel plated casing) for SD. I do carry a spare mag in one of those inexpensive (READ: cheap) nylon/velcro pouches at 9 o'clock. Trigger keeps getting better with (dry/live fire) use. I'm a bit anal about keeping it clean, so it gets a once over after every range trip, no matter how many rounds are fired through it. I've equipped mine with CTC laser grip which stays on all the time while I carry, but usually gets turned off (95% of rounds w/o laser) when at the range. Laser is zeroed in at 15 yds.

When I first got it, I was grouping low and left (8 o'clock), but have since made corrections/adjustments to my grip and trigger pull. (My buddy still has same problem whenever he shoots it). All in all, IMO, the M&P 9's or 40's are one of the best values available.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

I have a m&p .45 full size and the wife has gotten me a m&p 9c. They are both incredibly accurate comfortable to shoot and crazy tough. The compact grip size is a lot smaller and the gun feels like a toy compared to my full size. 45 . I carry in a CB super tuck deluxe. Wouldnt carry any other way allltthhoougghh I'm looking into a new raven concealment holster for winter months owb.

LOVE my M&P 40FS. It is the one I reach for when things go bump in the night.

Distinguished Member
    I really like my M&P40 FS. I recently bought a M&P40c and an X-Grip adapter for a full size spare mag. Carry with the small mag, but have a full size reload.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Thumbs up

I have both the 40fs & 40c. Wife bought the 40c for me as a anniversary gift almost two years ago and I really like it. Both have been completely reliable, no hiccups or malfunctions, etc. I can't see me ever selling them unless I wear them out from shooting them too much, and I doubt that will ever happen. Both fit my MTAC but I generally carry the 40c at about 3-3:30. The shorter grip on the 40c does conceal a little easier. I come from carrying a HK P7M10 as a duty & off-duty weapon so compared to it, both of these feel like feather weights! Both pistols shoot better than I can!

I everyday carry the Full Size S&WM&P40 with Crimson Trace Laser Grip. I am extremely satisfied with this weapon as a defensive handgun. It is very accurate and points naturally for me. The Crimson Trace Laser Grip allows the shooter to make accurate hits from the hip without having to line up the sights. Also with just a barrel change you can have the 357Sig caliber which is like having two guns in One.

Thank you for all the info. Carrying a full size due to weight is not an issue the mp is a ton lighter then the sig.
    I lulled my holster off this morning and relised I had the front clip all the way on the bottom so I moved it to the front
    And shazam the grip huggs my side/back, I love this pistol and it is everything you allsay it is. It has a veary natural sight pic and low kick
    Where you point is where the rd goes. Im using 180gr. Winchester pdx1s and this is deffenatly my go to gun.
    The grip was just sticking out too much for my liking but since the adj. Its perfect. Ill look arround to see if I can test fire a compact and may get one later as im sure not every situation will allowme to carry a full size.
    but My concealment issues are solved so I dont have to try to deal with a compact lol. Thanx for all the input.
    Yall be safe and keep it in yellow! Ohh rah

Love the 40c! I recently purchased one and haven't found any flaws. It does have a lot of punch to get used to, but will certainly fall into a groove. It has become my CCW as well and I would certainly reccommend it. It feels like a full-size grip when using the mag with the pinky extension and is very comfortable. I personally carry with the flush mag, as I require extreme concealment. The flush mag conceals very well and prevents printing in a shoulder holster.

I've had my M&P40c for about 2 years as my EDC. I love it!

I have both a 40 full size and compact. Love them both and carry the compact most of any of my semi autos.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Links